What is going on here? Carpet delaminating

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Cleaners fault.

What else..........actually made mention to the customer that raking may have causing it.

She said the inspector never once actually looked at the area of concern. Did not get on his knees to pull the carpet back to inspect the tear. Just did about 20 tuft bind tests.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The rake? Geez what BS. Can you get another inspection?

Where do you go from here? Is she willing to accept a repair? or Does a repair void there warranty?

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
She's is already blacked out on the repair since the installer said it cannot be repaired. I told her it could.

I would hire another inspector but I figured the chances of them being on the side of the cleaner vs. Mohawk is slim to none.

I talked to local Bobs manager and he said he would try to the carpet replaced through another avenue but the labor would have to be paid. About 200. Figured I would spend almost that on another inspector who may or may not see it correctly.

I may just pay the labor and be done with it. Its no win for me either way.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Your $200 part of replacement is a relatively low cost way out at this point, but I'd suggest you make sure the customer knows that you're just trying to take care of them. Bob's wouldn't take a share if they didn't know they had some repsonsibility.

For the future, in any dispute like this you have to keep control of the claim. Hire the inspector yourself. If the consumer or carpet installer doesn't like it, they pay to get another opinion, and the second inspector will not be too inclined to go head-to-head with a good inspection report. As much as you'd like every professional to be unbiased the average carpet inspector knows who pays his fees.

Everyone should get to know an inspector, preferrably one that carries some weight with retailers or mills. Everyone should also find a carpet repairman that they can refer for jobs that are too unusual for them to handle.

Your people, you control the claim.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
For the future, in any dispute like this you have to keep control of the claim. Hire the inspector yourself. If the consumer or carpet installer doesn't like it, they pay to get another opinion, and the second inspector will not be too inclined to go head-to-head with a good inspection report. As much as you'd like every professional to be unbiased the average carpet inspector knows who pays his fees.
Great idea Oz.

Great...Oz...The Great Oz....I get it! :p

Thanks Bryan! :winky:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
So, are they trying to pin the blame on you in this report?

What are the actions described by the consumer he is referring too?

Report is very vague and the only thing it seems to be doing is saying there is no manufacture defect or responsibility...

EDIT: Ok I see a lot of quick responses compared to me....my questions are answered....and I think the inpector should have done due diligence to look at the area of concern and take pictures of him doing the inspection of that area.

Hope this gets worked out, but I know how they go :oldrolleyes:

Last edited:

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Bryon:

I'm an Inspector. Please, is there more to that report than in that one picture? If not the Consumer should put in a complaint with the mill, then the Inspector's certification body (if he’s current), and Inspector's association (if he is a member). If you want to email me his name I can find those out for you.

Sincerely,

Dale

www.flooringinspector.com

Last edited:

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Hi Bryon:

I'm an Inspector. Please, is there more to that report than in that one picture? If not the Consumer should put in a complaint with the mill, then the Inspector's certification body (if he’s current), and Inspector's association (if he is a member). If you want to email me his name I can find those out for you.

Sincerely,

Dale

www.flooringinspector.com

I will email you the 2 page report. The first page has all his info on it. I didn't want to throw him under the bus without getting more info.

That is his written explanation. All of it.

Thanks!

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
Not that it helps anything but I've noticed carpet cut on an angle like in the picture is very weak. If I have to put an angle seam on a job its scary and have to use plenty of sealer. It wants to disintegrate.

Add to that like was mentioned the backings now days are very often not great to begin with.

I dont think you did it anyway but sometimes jobs are almost booby trapped.

You could say i would like an expert installer to look at it that has years of experience. If that room is at least 15' wide from that point i bet he could stretch it out for 75 or so.

Isnt it a law a customer has to give you one chance to fix things like this? Especially since its a weakened area.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
As an inspector, I hear this all too often! Previous 'inspectors' whether certified or not, not even getting on their knees, or listening to the client etc.

I get paid before my report is sent BECAUSE I endeavour to be independent and unbiased, and I know that not all reports go in the paying parties favour.

John

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom