What is the mechanics of marketing to certain income level?

BRSUMMERVILLE

Steve Marsh recently wrote an article "Easy Entry Syndrone, Part II" as others have done in the past. Describing the different types of customers. I understand all that. They will tell you to market to the group you are going after. The problem is that they don't tell how to market to a certain group. The mechanics of the marketing material and the way to get the message across may be different in each group.

I know how to figure out the income level of the neighborhood in my area and using direct mail. I have a problem with the mechanics of the marketing to a certain type of customers.

There was an article in the past about how (mechanics) to market to certain customers, I can't find it.

Any help in this area.

Bob Rock

BRSUMMERVILLE

Dampauselius,

How the message is written to each type of income (low, med., high)customer. I know the elements of the message will be different for each group. That I can work on with some help.

My biggest problem is distribution of the right message to the right customer. Also at this time, I don't have deep $ pockets.

Bob Rock

Scott

Bob -

Copywriting is THE toughest job in the world of marketing if you ask me. Identifying the prospect is the easy part, getting them to pay attention - no matter which market you choose - is the toughie.

Since copywriting is a highly skilled job that takes a lot of concentration, it ain't going to be cheap. Especially when you're looking at such a small industry, such as the cleaning industry.

Steve Marsh is a great guy. I've talked with him several times over the years. Just don't forget that he derives his income partially from his copywriting skills. So, you have a couple of options the way I see it:

1) learn how to write effective copywriting to the demographic you're trying to reach
2) hire an expert to do it

If you want to pursue #1, some good material to study is from recently deceased Gary Halbert, Dan Kennedy, and Mike Filsaime. There are others. These guys know the trigger hot buttons for THEIR market. Guys like Marsh know the high end residential market.

Scott

Greg Loe

Great advice from Scott.

The money your going to spend in experimenting with your copy would be better spent with Steve Marsh or PDQ post cards.

I personally think you would be better going with Steve Marsh. His system will pay for itself.

He has an honest guarantee. I very much respect and trust Steve Marsh

danpauselius

I used to subscribe to the school of thought that price didn't mean much to the higher end customers. Now we're seeing record setting foreclosure numbers on homes that are $400K and up. These are the people we mail to and more and more have been raising price objections when this was never the issue in the past.

black is white, up is down ... it's freekin me out man!

BRSUMMERVILLE

Dampauselius,

I may have found the answer to my question. Since my marketing skills suck, creating the right message to the right customer.

I came across a paper back " Your Marketing Sucks" by Mark Steven's. This may help me answer my own question.

Bob Rock

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
copywriting

Scott mentioned several good sources of help on copywriting. The best book I have read on the subject is the "Art of Writing Copy" Herschell Lewis.

If funds are limited start reading a chapter a day, they are short and everyday write 10 headlines and keep practicing.

bubba

How's things going with your advertising campaign now?

I have found that price is what sells a lot of people. Throw in a teaser. I think it depends on how your business is doing right now and how busy you want to be.

The more professional you look is the better... also the more you can charge. There's always a matter of supply and demand.

BRSUMMERVILLE

Since reading a book "Your Marketing Sucks", I made a few changes.
The main thing this book states is not to sway from your your one liner.
Explaining the benefits and value of the one liner. The book also states never mentioning your bells & whistle.

My one line is: I take the time to clean your carpets right, the first time.

Body of the letter, I explained how in a twelve step method how I'll will solve their problem.

Giving them a 20% discount

Then, I have testimonials from satisfied customers.

At the bottom is call to action.

At the end is name, business name, and location

Alex

Bob wrote "Body of the letter, I explained how in a twelve step method how I'll will solve their problem. "

It is my understanding that those that would benefit most from a twelve step program are in denial and probably won't respond to slick marketing campaigns.

Then again, I could be wrong.

My name is Alex, and I'm a carpet cleaner
[/quote]

Greg Loe

On my post card I have all the info but the "call to action". Why? Because I can change the call to action without having to reprint the post cards for every mailing. I place a specific call to action on labels, that are then placed on the post card.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
As a previous customer of Steve Marsh, I cannot in good conscience reccomend his program. His marketing materials are LAME! As are his invoices, and most of the other materials he sells as part of his packages. His wife couldn't even get our phone number or logo's correct...what a waste of money and effort! When I pay Thousands, I shouldn't have to re-do most of the material.

PDQ is a much better bang for your dollar.

p.s. His money back guarantee is a joke!!!!! I'm still waiting over a year!.

Let me say this about marketing to high end customers. There is a big difference between the high end market and the ellite market. Just because a customer has a big home, nice cars etc. does not mean they are going to spend 500+ dollars having their carpets cleaned. I would define the elite segment as the customers with average income 1 million plus a year multiple homes, and basically more money than they can possible spend. Most doctors and lawyers do not fall into this category. If you want to target this type of customer, you must be among them and sociallize with them. They will not respond to direct mail, yellow pages, or anything in that nature. I just landed a big job with an ellite customer in my area. This family recently sold one of thier businesses for 110 million dollars. How did I a get this customer. A referral from the family's nanny. Once you get your foot in the door, you better know more than just how to clean carpet. You need to be able to speak to this type of customer and relate with them. If they like you, then they will spread your name around.

My point is Howard Partridge built his business by networking and socializing with righ oil executives. My cousin lives in Houston Texas and had Clean as A Whistle clean for her. Sure, she could have called Stanley or Service Master, but she didn't want her friends and neighbors to think she was cheap. She owns a chemical company and makes bucu money.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom