What is your toughest challenge in business?

Yaser

oh shoot, I thought I put Scott in subject line. I wanted Scott's reply and maybe others that may have had that challenge.

Bob Foster

I can relate to those throwing away $$ on advertising and not getting results. I have all but given up on spending $$ chasing residental customers. That's my biggest challenge - finding more custies but not blowing hard earned dollars chasing them.

Tip of the week: Go after commercial - way easier to get and keep.

G

So how can I get commercial accounts?

Terry suggests buying alcohol for the gatekeeper/secretary.

Bob Foster

Go directly to the manager and ask for their interest in your services. If you are business like in your approach they usually are receptive.

Businesses are used to being solicited but not from carpet cleaners. It is somewhat unique from their standpoint and they are often curious.

Often the domain of commercial work is left to the residential carpet cleaner who view it as less than desirable work than regular hours residential cleaning. This is where residential cleaners often fall down. They put there B-string guys on at night or do it themselves. If they do this type of work they often bid it extremely high to make it very worthwhile for them. After a time the B-string inevitably screws up and the customer is not satisfied with some aspect of their work.

I good O/O who sees the upside of commercial can seize the opportunity provided he is willing to live with the downsides.

These downsides include:
-Working after 5 sometimes not starting till late in the case of some restaurants. (I don't solicit restaurants that close after 10PM for that reason). Working weekends or starting jobs at 5 or 6 in the morning. Get it? - odd hours

-Dealing with really trashed or overdue to be cleaned carpets as in some restaurants or high traffic area commercial areas.

Upsides to Commercial
- Once they love you they never leave as long as your work is consistent because they don't want to go through the hassle of showing a new cleaner there procedures (keys, codes, lights to be turned on and off etc)
- Less competitive pressure because most cleaners don't want commerical or don't need to work the odd hours.
- Commercial tends to by higher square footage than residential work making up for less $/sq ft.
- Commerical customers may use your services more frequently because their premises is held up to public scrutiny.
- Usually good tile and grout work as well

The pricing on commercial often presents itself as less profitable than residential but for a operator who has the the right gear that isn't the case. Not talking Mikey dollars here but I have no problem maintaining a minimum of $125 /hour on any commercial I do and often get $175.

I quote the job by a fixed amount plus extras and never per hour.

Weapons needed.
Truckmount - that runs hot
Cymex
OP
Grout spinner
Snail Fans
An ipod to keep you company at night (but if anybody comes in when your not expecting them and taps you on the shoulder when you are listening to your iPod - it will make you jump out of your skin and scare the shit out of you)

For every 4 buinesses I solicit for commercial work by just making contact with the right person I get about 2 customers.

Be very leary of doing subcontract work for some national providers because they often want it cheap.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
So far my biggest problem/challenge is achieving critical mass. Getting all forms of advertising in place at once, so there is a constant & steady flow of customers & a systematized way of gaining them. The root of the problem is partially cash flow, partially me & partially seasonal (depending on what month it is...). Things are improving, but I hope to improve them further.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Hey Bob,

Somehow I missed your response on commercial work last week. A very good analysis. Have you thought about making it into a 'Special Report"? :) Until you do I have one very elegantly called, "How to Sell Commercial Work". If anyone wants a free copy e-mailed to them just write me at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com Include your mailing address if you want the companion DVD.

One thing I would add on commercial is to as soon as possible build your commercial route up to "critical mass" (nice phrase, Jeremy!) and hire a night crew. Those late hours will make you old before your time. (Plus I just saw a headline that says that working the graveyard shift is a factor in cancer!)

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS Jeremy, how is your SFS Action Plan coming along? Get in touch with me if you want a kick in the pants. You hit the nail on the head- "We have met the enemy and he is us" Pogo

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom