what makes butyl a NON "grEEn" chem?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I understand some of the health risks of being in the juice day in and day out
(I know it's blown WAY out of proportion in regards to safe use or hazards to home owners though)
and just used as FEAR marketing tactic by slimy sleazy FEAR marketers

but what makes butyl any more or less harmful for the environment than say d'lime solvents or STPP base chems like SoapFree or Procyon ?
(that many consider to be "green" chems)

..L.T.A.

rick imby

Name
Rick
It is a petroleum based product which means it is not green. It has to be made from plant material--not sure about animal---to be called green. It is totally bs.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
It’s a well known toxin and suspected carcinogen. I’m not saying there are not safe exposure limits but why not work on alternatives?

rhyde

Name
rhyde
ethylene glycol monobutyl, toxic to humans it can be absorbed through the skin, inhalation hazard do a search it breaks down in the environment fairly quick

as far as green....whats green?

Most people are "green washed" they are bounced around by marketing from one feel good to the next if you really want to be green stop breeding & consuming just because something is green doesn't mean it's more efficient or logical. The dirty little problem is that "green" alternatives are often energy intensive, require more energy, water, land, and often generate more pollution from dust to dust energy profiles than petrochemical. The petrochemical industry and surfactants for example ... ethoxylate based surfactants are largest class of surfactants used today the feed stock Ethylene was largely a waste byproduct of oil refinement over the past century it's been developed into a key chemical compound.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Organic is a hijacked term in chemistry it refers to carbon based compounds that includes lots of polymers like plastics many solvents, cyanide

Name
Bill Soukoreff
At least in our industry, when a customer thinks of 'green' they really mean 'is it safe for my family, kids and pets'. They confuse green with safe. Don't focus on green, focus on safe, that's what a growing number of people want. More people are also associating strong fragrances with 'strong chemicals' and want fragrance free options.

When I used butyl I never liked it as it made me cough up a storm. Funny thing is O2 effects me way more then any butyls did. My lungs did not like it. After it caused severe allergic rashes with three residential customers (two went to the emergency clinic) I stopped using it. And yes, it was rinsed out as good as possible with a high flow wand and high heat. D-limonene IS a skin and respiratory irritant and it seems that a small percentage of people are very sensitive to it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom