what profit pecentage deems a successfull business?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I was just curios after all expense , depriciation , etc would you guys consider a business to be successfull? I was talking to a buddy in the restaurant biz and when he told me the margins it really made me feel for him, and how cut throat his industry was. I know that from my experience as an assistant retail manager in a past life that if any business cAn sustaib 20% profit that was great. I talked to a service master franchise manager and he told me they would consider 10 - 15% profit a good year. For a small 1 - 3 truck company what would be thw industry average for both sustaining marginal profits that keep the ball rolling and realist numbers on a really well ran highly profitable business?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
There is allot more to it then net profit %. Your company could be doing allot for you before you net profit like 401K, Health, Life, Company vehicles, Business Travel, Meals and entertainment. As your Gross goes up net % is going to go down to around 20-30%. Who Cares as long as you are being will compensated for your time.

Reactions: Newman and Ken Snow

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
As I continue to invest in my business I have put little away for retirement and would like to at least know what I have built is worth somthing. To be worth anything more than my vehicles and equipment I have to have a business that makes sense on paper in case I ever consided to sell it. Some days I feel great about how I bid my work and other days I feel like I take a beating. If I ever want to be more than a chuck in a truck I am gonna have to lock down the business end of things. I know people who in my opinion where some of the most talented cleaners I have ever came across who really sold them selves short because they never really got serious about cleaning up the business and admionistrave end.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Yea, it's hard to run the bussiness when it's running you 12 hour days on the truck.
Here is how I see it:
1. Get the sales volume up close to 200K
2. Get mostly off the truck and start running a business.
The catch is that I have to make money every month because this is the sole family’s sole source of income.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I was just curios after all expense , depriciation , etc would you guys consider a business to be successfull? I was talking to a buddy in the restaurant biz and when he told me the margins it really made me feel for him, and how cut throat his industry was. I know that from my experience as an assistant retail manager in a past life that if any business cAn sustaib 20% profit that was great. I talked to a service master franchise manager and he told me they would consider 10 - 15% profit a good year. For a small 1 - 3 truck company what would be thw industry average for both sustaining marginal profits that keep the ball rolling and realist numbers on a really well ran highly profitable business?

Super tricky subject for micro businesses like most of us, the question is 10-15% profit with an owner salary or without? and how much?

The best thing you can do is separate your compensation for work as an O/O (say put yourself on commission of 30%) and profits of the business as a separate entity. Or for small to mid size put yourself on a fixed salary of say $50k a year and keep company profits separate.

Plus any owner benefit like health ins, dental, life, cars, gas cards, useless family members etc.

My former boss had a net margin of 8% BUT 4 family members with car leases, ins, gas cards, health, dental, salary, etc so the owner benefit was closer to 20%.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Very hard to answer as asked. But if you are taking care of a family of four with a stay at home wife, $30,000. or more right there You seem to be doing alot right. If you
are serious about selling in 5 years or so talk to a business broker and get advice on what you are doing and may want to change.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Im talking about after paying my self a wage. I was also curious because what if you wanted to set up another service in another town and hire a manager , you would have to have some sort of an idea what kind of numbers you would need to have to be sustainable and profitable

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I would think 18-20% average would be a good benchmark. Anything less and you might not make it through a few bad months. Even if the business ran as a passive income (and it never will), you still have skin in the game having signed personal guarantees on tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment loans.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's been several years since my last SFS (need to go to the new format) and at that time Chuck had a benchmark of 30% back Return To Owner. Now that was salary & benefits, draw, vehicle etc all taken into account.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom