What should I do if there possible mold in the carpet?

G

Check this out.

I did a quote today at an older couples home and when i got to the dining room to measure, they said that a year ago they had a small flood. They told me 'so&so' came out and extracted the water, "He sucked up about 100 gallons of water. It took about 5 days to dry."

I know who the guy is that did the job and he uses a porti. They said he didn't lift the carpet, didn't set an air mover, no nothing, just sucked up some water and left. They also said the old man has felt sick ever since this happened. They are moving to another house and the place will be empty when it is to be cleaned.

Now, what do you do in a case like this?
Go ahead and clean the carpet? Treat it any differently?

Do you note anything about it on the invoice? What would you note?

G

Re: Ever run across a situation like this?

Ever run across a situation like that?

Name
I'm Rick James

I would note the invoice regarding what the customer has told you and have him sign it. Also note that you are doing a general cleaning and not treating for mold or mildew and not responsible for previos cleaners screw up.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen

Definitely get documentation releasing you from any liability due to mold because you are doing a general carpet cleaning. Depending on what it looked like i might just run like hell. Try to peel up a couple corners to see if there is mold growth and if there is suggest a restoration company to come in.

Cousin

Signed releases wont cut it in the legal world. You still have a duty of care.

If there is mould present anywhere in the textile, it's a ticking time bomb.

And you don't want to be standing anywhere nearby if it goes off.

Treat it as a bio hazard, or black water contamination. Place a recommendation in writing to the customer the floor coverings be replaced and graciously walk away.

Ok, you don't make any money out of this, but you act professionally.

M

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

I did a quote today at an older couples home and when i got to the dining room to measure, they said that a year ago they had a small flood. They told me 'so&so' came out and extracted the water, "He sucked up about 100 gallons of water. It took about 5 days to dry."

I know who the guy is that did the job and he uses a porti. They said he didn't lift the carpet, didn't set an air mover, no nothing, just sucked up some water and left. They also said the old man has felt sick ever since this happened. They are moving to another house and the place will be empty when it is to be cleaned.

Now, what do you do in a case like this?
Go ahead and clean the carpet? Treat it any differently?

Do you note anything about it on the invoice? What would you note?

You didn't say you noticed anything out of the ordinary. The customer's story is just that. You don't know that any of this happened as they recall.

The buyer would have a really, really, really tough time holding a carpet cleaner responsible for doing a free home inspection for them while cleaning the carpet for someone else, so I think you're pretty safe. I believe the liability for disclosure to buyers falls on the seller, and the more you interfere the more it may fall on you. If you're there to clean the carpet, not offer remediation services or be a hygenist, clean the carpet. If you notice an odor of mold, or decide to go beyond the scope of the work you're hired to do and peek under the carpet, then you might have a reason to make suggestions, make notes on your paperwork about your disclosures to the seller, or choose to leave the job site.

Able 1

Name
Keith

One time I had a custy that wanted some water removed from there basement due to the sump pump giving out. I told him when he called that i really don't do flood work but he wanted me to give it a shot.

I went and checked it out and extracted the beans out of it and used fans to dry and it turned out great.

About two months later I found out the guy rented that house and the people were sick in the house but he never called.

The owner ripped out he carpet and replaced.

The guy that got me that job told me "you know the people that moved into that house got sick and the owner thought it was the carpets but it was really some kind of gas leak in the basement."

I was vary happy to find that out, and I continue to do work for him. So you really never know, it might not be what they think it is that is making them sick

TimP

Just throw some microban on it :lol: it will make it all go away!!!

Back
Top Bottom