what sort of gas millage should I expect from this truck?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Re: what sort of gas millage should I expect from this truck

6.0L gas in that thing will be about 8 mpg moderately loaded.

Bjorn

another TNT going to go into it

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey

Service master here has one just like that with a 6.0 v-8 he runs a butler unit. but says they dont use the butler to much. and gets 11-13 around town

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott

12 mpg, my 6.0 v-8 gets 16 empty

Jeremy N

Supportive Member

That's the truck that I use. I have it loaded with my TM, 4 dehus, 12-15 airmovers and various equipment. I get about 9-10.

The 6 liter is a great engine. I have about 120k on it. The thing runs very strong and pulls with plenty of power.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member

I'd love to find another one that is used. I prefer the box vans that have the box that sits down low rather than the ones that side up high. They look/drive better, imo.

Cameron1

For the same money you can get the sprinter @ 17 mpg loaded

Jeremy N

Supportive Member

For a brand new one, yes. A good used Sprinter doesn't go down in value much. You can find a great van for 12k.

Having said that, I'd love to have a Sprinter.

kendallsdad

Supportive Member

9-10 mpg'S is about what you'll get. I would look into getting a 4500 chasis. It bumps the GVWR to 14,200lb and isn't that much more.

It amazes me that a lot of people in this industry don't pay enough attention to the GVWR of the vehicles they want to install equipment in.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Karivan9.jpg

Nice trucks, room for everything, ours is a Butler in a box. 210 waste tank, 110 fresh, yet room for 3-Drizair 2000's and 15-Airmovers a Drieaz Rover...PLUS all your carpet gear.

The ride isn't as bumpy as the cab over and the box is smaller making it easier for the guys that don't like to drive box trucks.

I love the space! 8)

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

depends if you are going up hill or down.....

your gas mileage is going to be based on the weight that you carry....when they run an add to sell a truck..there gas mileage is based on the truck being empty...some may not like the larger box trucks....but in the long run your gas mileage and wear and tear....are going to save you more......the W4500 GVWR is 14.500....with all the weight I carry..it does not squat..tilt or bog down climbing hills.....it drives like it is empty....it is built to haul....my gas mileage is 16 to 17 and that includes running the machine.....that is better then the one you are looking at empty....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

That sounds like a nice truck Jim, I need to trade in a couple of my Isuzu box trucks for those added benefits.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

Doc Holliday said:
That sounds like a nice truck Jim, I need to trade in a couple of my Isuzu box trucks for those added benefits.

2008W4500026-2.jpg

the thing drives like a luxury car...power to spare.......you can listen to a CD and not have it skip 3 songs when you hit a bump...un-like the UD when you hit a bump..if it was not for the seat belt you would be in the passenger side....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Man that sucker looks nice.

I have an 2000 with 32,000 and an 2002 with 15,000 miles that would be nice to get swapped out.

Jim
If it were you would you sell or trade off the old ones complete or would you pull the boxes off and just switch the trucks?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

Jim
If it were you would you sell or trade off the old ones complete or would you pull the boxes off and just switch the trucks?

kinda depends.....the UD box was not really built all that good....so no love lost there....

the box that is sitting on the W4500 is probably one of the best boxes I have ever seen...problem is..I have no clue as to where it came from or who even made it...there is no tag anywhere.....another thing that I have noticed is that the lower profile boxes like this one are really hard to find...so if it came down to it and I could.... I would want to keep this box....and transfer it to another truck....

steve g

Name
steve garrett

jim is your truck diesel or gas,

I ran both those versions of your truck, the gas models got 7 mpg and the diesels about 16mpg. this was with a 7ft box and about 11,500 gross weight all the time.

one thing about mileage is take it all with a grain of salt I read alot of diesel pickup truck forums and have owned both ford and dodge. I have NEVER got near the mileage alot of those guys claim and actually call bullshit on it. there are a ton of variables though for one thing out west here we drive faster than many people in the south and east because our freeways are wide open and have higher limits. this does make a big difference. the other thing is people tend to watch their fuel mileage computer and think its gospel. fill the tank, reset the trip mileage, when its empty refill the tank, divide that by the miles on the trip odometer and there you go. that is the only accurate way to know for sure. its surprising how few people seem to be able to grasp that.

I would say that box truck with its higher profile and dual wheels, I would plan on it getting 8-9mpg mixed city highway loaded with a machine and all the accouterments. I have seen some of those interlink box units at the salt lake location, they are really really nice, especially the restoration version.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Which one do you want Nate #8 or #20? We'll put it on a boat and send it over to you!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

Doc Holliday said:
These have a low profile box too.

Prochem20.jpg

Prochem8.jpg

Nice trucks...I like those......

how tall is the box over the cab.....did they come stock like that...I was helping a guy trying to find a W4500 with the low profile box and could not find one anywhere....but it may be all in the definition...there is a lot of wind drag up over top of your cabs....if you look at mine it is a lot lower...and I have more head room in it then I had with the UD...

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland

http://www.supremecorp.com/supreme.php? ... &product=7
This Supreme box comes in 10 or 12 foot, and can be had with an appearance package (chrome bumpers, wheels, etc.) and a factory side door with a step up inside for easy entry.
My son in law bought a 2003 model for around $23,000 if I remember correctly. You can see his here: http://www.northlandakitas.com/delta/family.htm

P.S. I can remember getting over 15 mpg on round trips to Sacramento with my GMC box van with the 5.7 V8. I understood the newer engine was better mileage.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller

i had my box custom build for 10k. the company is on the side but i don't remember.

gene

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

how tall is the box over the cab.....did they come stock like that...I was helping a guy trying to find a W4500 with the low profile box and could not find one anywhere....but it may be all in the definition...there is a lot of wind drag up over top of your cabs....if you look at mine it is a lot lower...and I have more head room in it then I had with the UD...
Jim they were custom built at Brown Cargo in Lawrence KS. They can make any roof size you want, anything you want they can make.

I think most run around $7,000.00 but we have a few that had cuatom shelving built also so they are a little higher.

This one is cut down even lower to resist the wind, yet the box is even taller inside to allow for more racking for air movers.
StructuralDrying14.jpg

Jeremy N

Supportive Member

Richard I am going to need to see pics of the inside of those trucks. I must learn from the master. Thank you, have a nice day.

*humbly bows to the king*

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

LOL
We no masters, we stumbled and learned by making mistakes all along the way. :mrgreen:

I'll have to look and see if I have any inside picture or take some, these are in my 'Trucks" photo file.

Name
I'm Rick James

I have seen those UHaul mini box truck running around that looks like a good work van. They have the van front and a smaller box on the back.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

blue_high0007.jpg

nv_sv_low_navy.png

I'm thinking about one of these for running around town as a utilty type truck.
Its small but large enough to haul some low moisture equipment or go monitor a water loss.

I also like Ken's little Fords in this catagory, they're better looking than the Nissan, but from what I've seen the Nissan has a really nice cab.
I'll have to check one out when they hit the streets.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Here are some I found of the insides of #14 our Restorative Drying truck. It's used to haul large amounts of equipment to jobs, monitor jobs, (so it has specialty floor & wall drying equipment) and pickup multiple jobs when complete.

Aluminum racking leaves the center open for extra dehumidifers or what ever else you might need.

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0338-1.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0342-1.jpg

Name
Lee Stockwell

As usual, VERY impressive Richard. Your trucks telegraph "professional!"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom