What to do for maple syrup on carpet???

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i have a customer who spilled maple syrup in their carpet. they got most of it up. but should i treat this any special way? or just clean it as i normally would?

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i havent seen it. was just wondering if i should do anything special? at least my customer called me and told me about it before i got there. i'm doing it this coming saturday.

Rex Tyus

The syrup should actually clean up relatively easy. Biggest concern would be how much made it into the backing and dried. If you don't get it all flushed out the remaining sugar will be a certain resoil issue.

harryhides

Name
Tony
I'd pre-spray with an acid spotter and then flush it plenty good. Lay down some cotton towels and stand on them.
Get some fresh towels, weigh down with a book or something and leave with instructions not to move the towels and weight for 12 hours.

One time we had a spill of 5 gallons of honey. Took 3 tries but got it out eventually - think plush Residential carpet,

MarkE

This is a timely post. My daughter spilled a bunch of maple syrup into our carpet last weekend. I never get mad at her little spills; I just look at them as a chance to practice. Anyway, I broke it up with Releasit Punch 1:10 and then flushed with my spotter. Sprayed a little more Releasit, blotted, speed dried...Perfect. (Worked for highlighter on upholstery too)

RandyHilburn

We cleaned up a big corn syrup spill a few weeks ago.

The syrup had be there so long it had begun to hardened. We tried several products, but eventually found that the syrup (sugar) disolved best with nothing more than hot water.

It did take about 30 or 45 minutes of doing nothing but soaking and extracting. We used a three gallon bucket, bucket heater and applied soaked towels to the syrup.

TimP

You should be blotting with a towel....flushing and sucking it out with a shop vac....and use a blot method with huge bath towels and take a hose and hose it out to flush it out of the backing and of course suck with a shop vac over and over.....like George from checkmate says.

Also you should have a "maple syrup" spotter...or you're a hack!!!!

On a realistic note I'd probably use some citrus solvent boosted in the prespray. And probably use some citrus gel if any stickyness remains after extraction. Of course nuke the hell out of it with your pre-spray scrub and rinse rinse rinse and dry dry dry. Shouldn't be any big deal IMO of course I've never had anyone tell me they spilled a bunch of maple syrup to know 100% from experience 8)

John G

We actually tested PadCapPro encapsulant on maple syrup, and it encapped fine, takes a bit of prespray, but it turned to a non sticky powder that was easily vacced up.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Mostly good info above :lol:

I'd be mixing a hot brew of a good HOT brew, did I say HOT?

Being CGD, I imagine no pad? If so, a claw ins't going to work well so I'd be pouring the HOT detergent on the spill, gently work in and the thoroughly extract with HOT water.

Heaps of flushing and double that on drying strokes.

Use a good acid rinse to minimise wicking/browning due to the sugary content.

Post pad with a 50/50 Releasit EncapClean application and you should be all sweet.

I did this not too long ago on a spill about 2x1.5 foot. Cooking oil poured onto the carpet.

Got it all in the one visit for a regular client. On pad so I used a claw as well.

Tony's suggestion of some towelling on top with weights for 12 hours is good too.

John

Trevor Truitt

Speaking from experience, regular cleaning should take care of it fine. Not regular-regular, but apply extra prespray and flush a bit with the wand.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
Thanks guys for all the help. i was able to take a look at the carpet today. the syrup is hardened into the carpet a bit. but will probably soften up.

wired

I have learned that the best is to prespray heavy the stain . Give good dwell time. Take a little scrub brush scrub really good. More dwell time then bring in the RX 20 flood it and vac it at the same time. go over it a couple times just vac and your done . Its dry an you have done another perfect job. Cust. loves you and asked for some of your cards so she can tell her friends . women love to email.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
John G said:
We actually tested PadCapPro encapsulant on maple syrup, and it encapped fine, takes a bit of prespray, but it turned to a non sticky powder that was easily vacced up.

And I was gonna be a smart ass and tell him to bad it, but you beat me to it.

EDIT: Did you notice my slip? "tell him to "bad" it"?

I meant pad, but it's funny how that came out huh?

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i do not want to encap the rest of the carpet needs HWE anyways.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
ok,

i cleaned the carpet about 3 weeks ago. the syrup is now visible again. i had rinsed it with flex, with citrus solve, and flushed it with 170 degree water. i poured it on and sucked it up like 4 times. then rinsed with power point. i run a truckforce 3500 from masterblend. and i ran the machine at 400 psi.

What else should i try?
would encaping get it up?

Thanks for all the help guys.

TimP

I would try the Judson O2 product. I've had good luck with it disolving sugary soil in carpet. Mix it super heavy let it dwell to break down the sugars. Then extract flushing heavily. That's all I can think of short of pulling the carpet out and cleaning/sealing the subfloor and installing new carpet. The syrup obviously is in the backing and possibly into the subfloor. Breaking the soil down and flushing it all the way out....if it was on pad I'd suggest flooding the carpet with your solution line and sucking it up with a water claw flushing it all out.

I don't think an encap product will work, If it's coming back with HWE flushed heavily. Then it's definitely coming back with encap...the whole anti wicking thing with encap is BS....in my opinio

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
the carpet is commercial glue down.

would encapuguard hold syrup down and keep it from wicking?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
scrub the shit out of the carpet extact and speed dry. This shouldn't be that hard

Able 1

Name
Keith
I did an ihop way back in the day and all we did was scrubbed with the 175 and double extracted with a portable.

But thinking back my boss did soak it with gravity feed and he scrubbed way more then normal.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Any idea how much syrup was spilled?. Is the spot in plain sight or off to the corner somewhere.

If you think there's very little left you may be able to get away with a vlm method (hide that sucka and don't come back). If there's a lot of it I would water claw with hot water. If you have a fan that tilts down put it right on top of it for a while. I'd explain that it still may come back but will get better with more attempts. Another words, next time i'll have to charge :wink:

Albert

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i do have a 175, and i do have a spot claw. but a spot claw wont work unless it has pad, and it doesnt.

the origional amount of syrup was near 1 gallon. it was at a store that sells it in one gallon containers and evedently it broke and they must have kicked it around. its everywhere.

think that i will scrub it with the 175.

what should i use to clean it out with?
chems i have:
flex
traffic slam
red line (masterblend)
bio break
soap free (masterblend)
Green balance

extaction:
fab set
power point

boosters:
citrus solve
boost all

TimP

I'd say the bio break with citrus boost. Rinse with acid....although it's not going to matter much, power point will be fine.

I'd boost with dilimonene if I had it.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
You need a soil specific prespray Flex is harsh...I use it when I need it but try Zone perfect by the same company. It has 9 different chemicals in it that target different soils. scrubbing is a good Idea but if it is gdc, it might release the glue and bubble.

But what you have, I am thinking traffic slam...not sure.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Without seeing it, my suggestion to you would be to go back and thoroughly flush it again using a good ENCAPSULANT prespray and rinse. Speed dry, and then, the next day, spray a fine prespray of an encap. product over the spot and bonnet it up with a slightly damp bonnet and your 175.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom