What to do when the tech burns the carpet!!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Chavez you are a hard ass.
Got to be. When you invest time and money in training and your reputation is intrusted to them there is little margin for error.

It would be different if it was a accident, the guy has the iron (never use an iron) setup and while he is in the other room a pet knocks it over and burns the carpet.

OK I'll give him that one, but this dude is a moron. He had all the control in his hands and just burned the carpet. :shock:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Doc Holliday said:
LOL

I'm like this everyday here, just ask my employees! :twisted:

And here I was thinking about coming to work for. But I pull bone head stunts all the time. No way you would put up with me in the real world....I don't know how you do it here. :oops:

steve g

Name
steve garrett
this carpet looks to be one of the extremely rare olefin cut piles. they are very very rare to see and the junkiest carpet there is, this stuff makes polyester seem like the finest fiber ever. personally on wax like that I just use my truckmount let it get hot and hit it with some heat. and those that know me know my truckmount is on the small end of the power spectrum. usually work great for wax although sometime the red from the wax can stain the carpet, BUT with it being what appears to be olefin, it may have came right out.

as for repairs, I dunno if I buy it not looking good, if you look at the picture the carpet doesn't look all that warn in that area against the wall, another thing that is nice about doing the repair in that area is its against the wall so you only have to match of 3 SIDES, which makes doing the repair alot easier. I would try and repair it, any repair will look better than an iron spot on the carpet.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I am not going to get rid of the tech! Everyone makes mistakes.......... I probably would have done the same thing. Because like someone said this is a rare olefin carpet... I will get a steamer.. But Im sti;; going to use the iron on koolaid stains in empties.. Myself...

We have all made mistakes. right? So I realized this.. And I am not mad at him anymore... This morning....... He gave me a blank check to pay for it.. I declined the check.. This tech is not replaceable! One of the best I have ever seen.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Joey only you know his true value, if he is that valuable to you, of course keep him.

I personally would not.

Yes we all make mistakes but some are blantently ignorant and avoidable. Using a hot iron on plastic carpet, he should have been more aware than to just wait until smoke was rolling to realize he had a problem.
:roll:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Actually, heat on a plastic carpet can work like the old crayon dying trick and the color from the wax can become permanent. I would of scraped off the bulk of the wax and then used some citris solvent to remove the rest.

Joey,
Sorry for the dose of reality but,

If after all that has been posted and one damaged carpet you still go back to an iron you are very foolish.

About like the "I always text while I drive and I've never had an accident,yet."

Or Churchill said:

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”

Time to wise up grasshopper.

S

sam miller

Dave Yoakum said:
sam miller":33v2oa8y]1 st off $30.00 walmart Iron with auto off if your using an iron second wet terry towel for transfer not paper third ya truckmount should pull most of it Really large wax melts then drop iron. I do red removal all day with auto off iron never had problem yet. as for repair if you could pull it and cut from back and pull closet and cut it from back where the face doesnt lose any fibers you wont get seam peaking or noticable seams still if the piles crushed and you put a new piece in its obvious.[/quote] Here is one on E-bay: [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-DECKER-STEAMWORKS-WALLPAPER-STRIPPER-STEAMER-EC-/360358897951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e710691f said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-DECKER-STEAMW ... 53e710691f[/url]

This price is a little high. (they are getting harder to come by. They quit making them in the mid 80s)

I bought an other one on E-bay last week that was under $50 bucks with shipping. So, I snatched it up.

Crain makes that same thing that you can still buy new for $160.00 http://www.craintools.com/fs-more_pages/fs-935.html

SAM,

With a B&D steamer you don't have to worry about it shutting off, no towel needed at all, you can use several at once in unattended rooms (I've used up to 3 at the same time), they look more proffessional, it will never burn a carpet.

I really like having to never use a towel with a steamer. With a iron the damn towel sticks to the iron and it makes quite a mess of it. Irons are very unprofessional when there is a much better alternative.[/quote:33v2oa8y]

I would be careful with a continous steamer could delaminate or overwet an area unless its got an auto off also.

Personally I dont think people say steamer professional, Iron unprofessional.

Its the end result that matter's

S

sam miller

If he used a wet terry towel and an auto off iron it wouldnt have happened either

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
sam miller said:
If he used a wet terry towel and an auto off iron it wouldnt have happened either

You haven't used a steamer much have you?

If you had you would never go back to an iron.

With a steamer no towel is needed.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Hey Richard,

What % of gross do you pay for unemployment insurance? I just learned the hard way that you can’t just fire someone for a massive fook up. You have to document incidents with write ups. Then when you have 3 or so for the same type of infraction you can fire them and not end up paying for them to sit on the couch for a year collecting long term unemployment.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
joeynbgky said:
I tried 2 of those they were junk

Sent from my g2 using tapatalk. Whofat

The Namco looks very similar to the old Black and Decker and the new Crain

http://hdsupplysolutions.com/webapp/wcs ... ron-180970

If I works like the others. It definitely is not junk.

I do recommend using distilled water to preserve their life and effectiveness.

Were the ones you used Joey old and abused?

It won't break you. It's less than a buck a gallon.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have a couple of the Namco, so far they have worked fine.

What % of gross do you pay for unemployment insurance? I just learned the hard way that you can’t just fire someone for a massive fook up. You have to document incidents with write ups. Then when you have 3 or so for the same type of infraction you can fire them and not end up paying for them to sit on the couch for a year collecting long term unemployment.
5.4% of the first $8,000 that an employee makes.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Doc Holliday said:
5.4% of the first $8,000 that an employee makes.

I’m at 4%. I would expect you to have more claims because of the sporadic nature of restoration work. Hey, I’m with you when an asset becomes a liability, throw them under the bus. I’m just going to make sure they can’t collect unemployment if I can help it.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
It's hard to get a steamer when you guys keep outbidding us on ebay. I've never had a problem with an iron and a WET towel. Who the hell uses a paper towel from the gas station. Is this what your guys do for towels? Buy them some terry cloth. Now I have heard everything.

S

sam miller

Just wondering if removing seam tape to fix a seam. will a steamer work for that and how long tell it dries to reseam carpet???

Or do you guys use an unprofessional Iron for that? Or do you even do repairs? Just wondering. If you all didnt know removing the

old seam tape is best. Especially after floods and such. New seam hold better and looks better too.

The other thing is can a cool seam work to remove old tape that would be cool?

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
No it can't. Seam tape needs a higher temperature to melt. I use a seaming iron for that. Or in the case of a repair, I use a koolglide seaming tool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom