what to use on Silk rugs?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I was told not to put silks in the wash tub. I would assume it's because of the dichol. What do you guys recommend? Im currently using Pro's Choice Ultra TLC as a prespray and Last step as a rinse.
I would think putting it in the tub would produce better results?

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
It depends. There are a number of variables that should steer your decision on selecting a method to safely clean it.

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
We use the same detergent we use on wool rugs. You could probably get away with washing it in the tub. Lots of folks wash on the floor, with hand brushes, and pressure washers with fantastic results.

Biggest thing to remember with silks is to not use any kind of rotary agitation, always agitate in the direction of the pile.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
We have used Fringe Plus to loosen the grime and rinse on the wash floor. NO rotary or abrasive scrubbing. Soft brush in direction of top to down on the way the rug was made. Rinse the same way. Extraction techniques is another story. Done improperly, one can distort the pile during that phase of processing the rug too.

Name
Nate W.
Regarding brush direction movements. Some of the rugs have nap reversal, what do you do then?

Pooling or shading is more common on 90 line Chinese and Tibetan/Nepal rugs, in my experience.... I examine the rug and choose which way most of the nap is laying.... When you squeegee the rug on the wash floor, you quickly figure out the way the nap is laying..... It chatters and is hard to squeegee it...

Reactions: ruff

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
What happens when you have the strap of leather running down the side. Does it shrink or want to bleed.❓

Gene

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
It's usually vinyl, not leather. If you can with the client discuss removing it for them, it doesn't do a whole lot. It is supposed to keep the edges from curling, and look fancy, but thats about it.

Never seen them bleed.

Name
Nate W.
When it gets wet it actually curls more when dry lays back flat. Like @cleanking said it doesn't bleed. Some people think it gives the rug more stability but in my findings it doesn't really serve a purpose.

Reactions: cleanking

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I was told not to put silks in the wash tub. I would assume it's because of the dichol. What do you guys recommend? Im currently using Pro's Choice Ultra TLC as a prespray and Last step as a rinse.
I would think putting it in the tub would produce better results?
Many newer silks (and most rayons) have problems with dye stability and yarn slippage, so agitation should be limited. Persian and Turkish silks are often very durable and can be washed like any wool rug.

Unless heavily soiled we default to surface cleaning using a rotary Drimaster. Probably worth the investment if you clean more than one per month.

PS: Unless you've done some damage, distortion caused by extraction cleaning can be groomed out. Unless you've done some damage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom