What type of equipment to start-up with

Rick4Life

Hello All!

This my first post, however I can promise it will not be my last. I have enjoyed browsing through this forum for the last few days.

I am a 26 year old at-heart entrepreneur and have yet to start my own business. After reading books and looking through many websites, starting a carpet cleaning business out of my home seems like the best venture for me! I have a bachelors degree in marketing, 1 year of experience in marketing in Houston real estate and 3 years in sales management. After selling myself on this idea, I walked into my office and put in my 2 weeks with my company to start this adventure (Yesterday!)! I have saved enough money to live comfortably, without any income for 4 months, and enough to spend about $2000 in start-up costs for this business.

I believe I will pick up on the marketing and networking side of this all quickly, however do not have all the experience in the world with actual carpet cleaning. I plan on obtaining my business license, opening a business bank account, purchasing insurance, building my website and getting marketing materials in my first month.

A huge question I would like some advice on is what equipment should I start with? I'm assuming since I am only starting with $2000, and there are more expenses than just the equipment in the start-up phase that I will need to finance it (not an issue).

I would like something that shows me as a professional, however does not require long term expertise to operate and carry around. I will be starting out with a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT to lug everything around.

Btw, my monthly bills/expenses are a little over $2000. According to the reading I'm doing, it does seem very feasible to bring in my monthly requirements after a few months of work if I'm doing this full time and build a pipeline of customers.

Does anyone have any constructive advice for equipment I should start with considering my circumstances?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Rick4Life said:
Hello All!

This my first post, however I can promise it will not be my last. I have enjoyed browsing through this forum for the last few days.

I am a 26 year old at-heart entrepreneur and have yet to start my own business. After reading books and looking through many websites, starting a carpet cleaning business out of my home seems like the best venture for me! I have a bachelors degree in marketing, 1 year of experience in marketing in Houston real estate and 3 years in sales management. After selling myself on this idea, I walked into my office and put in my 2 weeks with my company to start this adventure (Yesterday!)! I have saved enough money to live comfortably, without any income for 4 months, and enough to spend about $2000 in start-up costs for this business.

I believe I will pick up on the marketing and networking side of this all quickly, however do not have all the experience in the world with actual carpet cleaning. I plan on obtaining my business license, opening a business bank account, purchasing insurance, building my website and getting marketing materials in my first month.

A huge question I would like some advice on is what equipment should I start with? I'm assuming since I am only starting with $2000, and there are more expenses than just the equipment in the start-up phase that I will need to finance it (not an issue).

I would like something that shows me as a professional, however does not require long term expertise to operate and carry around. I will be starting out with a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT to lug everything around.

Btw, my monthly bills/expenses are a little over $2000. According to the reading I'm doing, it does seem very feasible to bring in my monthly requirements after a few months of work if I'm doing this full time and build a pipeline of customers.

Does anyone have any constructive advice for equipment I should start with considering my circumstances?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Yes get a real job and do carpet work on the side for a few years.

Or work for a reputable small carpet cleaning company for a few years.

If you find the right company, you can make more much more than you will as a solo operator.

And yes Mytee is the way to go if you want to do carpet work as a side gig. 5k and you will be sitting nice.

Rick4Life

Based on everything I've been researching it seems feasible to make $50,000 within the first year. Houston is a very compact city full of new homes and money.

G

George V

A 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT?

It sounds more like a grocery getter than a cleaning rig.

How bout a nice trailer mount?

Except 2k don't even buy ya a an empty trailer.

How bout a used porty?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
It sounds like you are grossly underestimating your start-up costs, and grossly overestimating your first year returns, and how soon you will begin to see them.
No offense, but the fact that you think you can give this a go for $2000, tells me you have not done enough research.

I like your enthusiasm, but slow down, keep your day job, and do some more research. When you think you are ready, start part time and grow into it.

Learn to clean carpets BEFORE you get into the carpet cleaning business.

Lefty724

Name
E
If you're gonna jump in both feet spend the money on marketing and finance the rest.

If you can, keep your day job and do this part time until you can make the switch. I have been cleaning for 2 years and am still not full time? Then again I don't have a degree marketing (no marketing actually, just word of mouth).

Name
R.J. Povio
Whatever you decide to buy (either a portable or truckmount) buy it used. There are plenty of deals out there on some well maintained equipment. Plus if things do not work out you will not get hit with massive depreciation. I would suggest getting an enclosed trailer to tow behind your pick up. Even if you get a portable working out of trailer will look more professional than lugging your equipment in and out of a pick up. It will be easier too. If you start with a portable then move to a truckmount you can use the trailer for both. I could find you a used truckmount for a good price if you want one. A good starter/entry level machine in my eyes is something with 18-20 horse power, and at least a #3 blower. I would try to get something with a #4 blower(the bigger vac blower the better dry times). YOU DO NOT NEED A $30,000 DUAL WAND TRUCKMOUNT TO MAKE IT IN THIS BUSINESS. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY DISTRIBUTORS AND SOME PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD. Start off small and inexpensive and then work your way up. I would not have quit your normal job as others have mentioned. Unfortunately your business will not grow over night. You may need that consistant income from your 9-5 job to keep you a float for a while. Besides you could work nights and or weekends while keeping your day job. I would had out flyers/door hangers. You could go door to door or pay someone to pass out the flyers. Do not spend a ton of money in or on the yellow pages. Yellow pages is a dying form of advertisement. Have a couple listings or something small, but do not spend 500 to 1000 a month in the yellow pages. Give custys a refferal fee for passing your name out to friends and family. It could be as small as 10 carpet bucks per refferal. That form of advertisement you do not pay out unless you get the job. Take a course at a local carpet cleaning supply distributor. They have courses out there to teach you the dos and donts of carpet cleaning. If you want to talk more private message me. I run and own my families carpet cleaning business. I am 29 years old. Ive been cleaning for the business since I was 12 or 13 with my dad. I and the company have made mistakes over the years, I can help you not make some of them. This board is very informative, and do not get offended if people break your balls. They were newbies at some point as well. Good luck to you!

Used Steamin Demon - $500 (look around, they're out there)
Used Commercial Vac - $100 (ebay)
Koblenz for agitation - $200 (ebay)
Chems to start - $200 (prespray, spotting)

$1000 still left for misc supplies or, uniform, business cards and some door lettering for your truck.

Mike Draper

Rick4Life said:
Based on everything I've been researching it seems feasible to make $50,000 within the first year. Houston is a very compact city full of new homes and money.
I think by most cleaners terms $50 g's by the 2-3 year is good. Most cleaners probably lose money their first year, unless your name is surdi. :oops:

John Buxton

Dont put the cart before the horse. First you need business, start talking with people that can help you. Keep the day job and make this a cash business that will let you travel and have beer money. Your young, but before you know it you'll need medical, dental, prescription insurance. Keep the real job son! At least until your making six figures every year.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Do not buy a portable. Buy a truckmount with a large propane or a fuel oil fired burner as they will clean the best. Think long term repeat and referral business. Buy a used machine if possible and a used van that isn't all beat up looking.

Check out these type of machines:

http://www.cleanerssolution.com/index.p ... cts_id=359

http://amptruckmounts.com/default.aspx

http://www.***************/store/steamb ... -8990.html

http://www.masterblend.net/index.php?op ... &Itemid=79

http://www.tcsatl.com/chiefdiesel.html

http://www.acceleratedtruckmounts.com/Dominator.htm

http://www.truckmountdepot.com/The-C4.html

http://www.truckmountdeals.com/

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Rick4Life said:
you've received a lot of good yet wildly varying advice above, Rick.

I find it interesting that your question was on "what type of equipment" and yet the majority of board members instead focused on your upcoming cash flow or should I say lack of it. Listen to them. If you have already cut your ties irretrievably with your full time job so be it. But how about approaching your old boss for a part time or contract position? If not, look elsewhere for something to do part time. (Working for a carpet cleaning company for a while is a great idea. In fact, I hear a good one to work for in Houston is called "Clean As A Whistle". :))

It sounds like your personal overhead is low, Rick, and that is great. But even so once the cash flow dries up your savings will disappear quickly. This is a great industry. But it can eat your lunch quickly during the start-up process.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I don't know the Houston market, Rick. But if it is like most big cities the low-end residential market can be a killer. So an alternative is to go after commercial accounts. If nothing else you could devote a couple of days testing the market. Go after smaller, owner operated accounts in the beginning just to get your feet wet. If you want help on how to sell commercial jobs and/or how to price them here are links to two free manuals off the SFS site:

http://sfs.jondon.com/6994/resources/sp ... tes-part-1

http://sfs.jondon.com/755/resources/spe ... commercial

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
If I only had money for a porty, I'd go with a rotovac package with the 360. If I had money for a tm (more professional and you will not work as hard). I would look at some of the sites Loren suggested.

Humm, marketing degree. I'll be different then some here and say that if you are good at it (marketing) you'll do better then most. The cleaning part is easy. Personally I think doing it part time doesn't allow you to give it all you got. All or nothing baby! :lol:

Albert

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Am I allowed to mention how I do it with no equipment and still run a successful carpet cleaning company? lol

Actually I have some low moisture equipment that's working out really well but that's another story. Whole deal for $5000 plus a vehicle. Not bad.

Anyway, if you're a marketing guy...use that. Spend your money in marketing the business and sub out to the cleaners in your area that are hurting for work.

You can make money AND help some people out...it's a win win.

PM me and I'll give you the details.

Name
Jesse
Starting with $2000 is very doable but going to be hard. With that little money and little/no carpet cleaning skills your going to be wasting alot of time/effort/the $2000, and your 4 month living expenses.

The reason your getting so many different responses is because we all have done it differently and still are. If your the right guy you can do incredibly well your 1st year, problem is most of us aren't that guy (even if we think we are).

Some reasons I say you'll be wasting your money since you don't have much, not in any order:
- Your budget doesn't support you buying professional equipment that will efficiently produce professional results as you become busy. It also doesn't afford enough cheap or used equipment to handle all the different situations you'll probably run into. If your the go getter you appear to think you are then you're going to feel limited by your equipment and will always need more or better until you can step up and spend many times more than your current investment. Once you really have professional equipment then everything else you bought along the way will sit and rot or be sold for a % of what you paid.

- With substandard equipment and limited skills you'll have a hard time impressing the best type of customers....The ones that are experienced with carpet cleaning because they have it done frequently. By not having a truckmount you be fighting image, dry times, production rates, and maybe appearance issues.

- You'll be starting with no repeat customers, that means you'll be working for every job or buying it. Working for them is slow, buying them can be expensive and it still takes a lot of time to buy them efficiently.

That's enough for me...Make friends with a carpet cleaner.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Out Of Character said:
The reason your getting so many different responses is because we all have done it differently and still are. If your the right guy you can do incredibly well your 1st year, problem is most of us aren't that guy (even if we think we are).

Some reasons I say you'll be wasting your money since you don't have much, not in any order:
- Your budget doesn't support you buying professional equipment that will efficiently produce professional results as you become busy. It also doesn't afford enough cheap or used equipment to handle all the different situations you'll probably run into. If your the go getter you appear to think you are then you're going to feel limited by your equipment and will always need more or better until you can step up and spend many times more than your current investment. Once you really have professional equipment then everything else you bought along the way will sit and rot or be sold for a % of what you paid.
Those are some good points. On the other hand let's not forget the American Dream ...

Out Of Character said:
With substandard equipment and limited skills you'll have a hard time impressing the best type of customers....The ones that are experienced with carpet cleaning because they have it done frequently. By not having a truckmount you be fighting image, dry times, production rates, and maybe appearance issues.

- You'll be starting with no repeat customers, that means you'll be working for every job or buying it. Working for them is slow, buying them can be expensive and it still takes a lot of time to buy them efficiently.

THIS WAS ME ALMOST 40 YEARS AGO. So IF you have the fire in teh belly it can be done. Plus I didn't have the little band of brothers here backing me up.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS How does that Clint Eastwood line go, "Are you feeling lucky, kid?" At the age of 26 and IF I had the fire in the belly and with your low overhead and the support of this group I'd be tempted to go for it. But that's just me ... or was me a long time ago. Today? Heck, I'd still go for it! Beats being a wage slave any day!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
At 26 you can get away with working your tail off with a decent portable or other low priced equipment and work your way up.

Plenty of us started that way.

I had a ninja in a minivan when I switched to HWE
Before that it was a matador, some bonnets, a vacuum and a rake...oh and something to spray with.

I made tons of money doing that.

Brian R said:
At 26 you can get away with working your tail off with a decent portable or other low priced equipment and work your way up.

Before that it was a matador, some bonnets, a vacuum and a rake...oh and something to spray with.

So why would you switch to a business model that nets you 10 percent?

Why not make tons of money and do the 10 percent thing to supplement your income?

A

amazingcleansc

Rick4Life said:

There are 2 important things here: Equipment and Advertising.

If you are just starting, RENT A DAMN EXTRACTOR FROM THE CARPET SUPPLY PLACE AND CLEAN YOUR OWN HOUSE, YOUR MOMS HOUSE AND YOUR GRANDMAS HOUSE. Isnt cobb carpet the one for houston?

see if you like it. (Its a pain in the ass to clean carpet, and get ready for lots of people not appreciating your expertise.)

Lots of guys like the truckmounts. Truckmounts cost a shit ton of money. and im not talking about to buy one, I'm talking about operating. Fixing those bitches is horrible. HORRIBLE.

I am 28 years old and have paid ba dum ching 7000 for a repair. Nothing about getting a portable extractor could ever run you that.

Lee Stockwell says put flyers in nice zipcode newspapers. Probably an amazingly good idea. The other thing is get rotovac to build you a website. they build kickass cheap websites that get traffic.

Best of luck.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I started 5 years ago with a 2005 E-250 and a Prochem Peak (have 3800 hours on it now). I started from scratch, and only a very little porty history in my backround. I bought my van while working at another co. (not cc related) and payed it down quite a bit. Then saved some for the purchase of the TM, and covered the rest ($12,000) on a NO INTEREST(for 18 months) credit card.. I would never do a lease on any equipment, EVER!!!

Main thing is you have to have drive to get your business going, if it's what you want don't stop till you get there, then push harder and things will work out.

Save your money, and do it right! You will get more referrals and more repeat custy's that way..

PS. Defaulting on a no intrest CC will kill you, but there isn't anything better then a no interest loan if you know you can do it. Fear is a great motivating factor! :twisted:

Look at this scenario if you gross 50k your first year.

You will have a truck and equipment payment which shouldn't be too bad.

You will have insurance which sucks/

How are you going to get jobs? You will have to advertise, and if you do like most starting out you will advertise price and do a lot of jobs to make a little. Do you want to do five 300 jobs per week or 15 100 jobs per week. If you average a hundred dollars per job, you will go broke. The three dollar plus fuel will kill you.

Ok so lets add FUEL which will be your number one expense.

Oh you will need new tools, supplies, and chems.

Lets not forget about business taxes and being self employed means self employment tax.

Now that 50k dollar job is really a 20k dollar per year job. That is not very impressive.

Take my advice. Get a real job (preferably one with benefits such as health insurance). Just make sure you have steady income. I worked nights at Fed-EX.

Now comes the easy part. Do a few jobs every week (even 500 dollars extra per week will be huge). Keep your overhead low. Take your time to do the job right. You need repeat customers and referrals. Not quick money.

If you are thinking about running coupons, FORGET ABOUT IT. You will never get anywhere. All you will do is break even.

Slowly invest in your company with new equipment, tools, marketing, and put money back while you do it.

I have learned a lot about this business. I see no problems working for a first class owner op and potentially buying the business from the owner down the road.

It's not as easy as buying a machine, runnning some coupons, and making 50k. It doesn't work that way.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
danielc said:
Brian R said:

So why would you switch to a business model that nets you 10 percent?

Why not make tons of money and do the 10 percent thing to supplement your income?

Because 10% of $5 million is more than 70% of $200,000

At the end of the day I make more % than that...I just choose to reinvest back into my company.

Plus, I do have my equipment now to do some jobs here and there...nothing serious.

Brian did you really just say that?

You have to be kidding right?

You would seriously go for the business that does 5 mil but nets the owner 500k as opposed to making 140k on 200k?

What happens when you quit putting your money back into your business considering you are not saving very much?

Let's say you do reach 5 mil (that will never happen) and you spend years doing that, you will have re-invested most of your money to get to that status and yes you will always have to pay for customers.

You worked hard to build a business that nets 500k. Good job. Now hoefully after years of hard work you will finally be able to save some money.

Now look at the small owner that does 200k. Also an owner that is any good will grow revenues every year, but we will say the owner is content netting 140k. That 140k goes into savings, real estate, and real investments. The owner saves, invests, and money compounds.

In ten years who will have more money if the small owner is now worth millions, retired, and did it a lot easier?

mishi

It is my advice to start a carpet cleaning franchise instead of start an own business. Because there may be chance of not getting success in your business but if you are taking franchise or hiring a brand name you will definitely get popularity or revenue both. In franchise you will also received all the information of what type of tools are needed in carpet cleaning business.

Thanks for reading...

Jay D

Name
Jay D
$2,000.00? :roll: Well a used Ninja and a 175 rpm floor buffer and some cotton bonnets come to mind. That's basically what I started with, BUT Like BAWB said "eight grand from Aunt Betty" Is the better thing to do. A used truckmount and van will cut the learning curve. At 50 K you will need to do 75-80K to net that. Don't go buying everything at once, just the basics and add as you start making money and paying your bills. Concentrate on one town in Houston and gear your business website optimize to that town, say Sugarland, Missouri City etc. Also try and get a PT job to help with expenses till you can quit. Read the boards and Glean information, both good and bad. !gotcha!

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
mishi said:
It is my advice to start a carpet cleaning franchise instead of start an own business. Because there may be chance of not getting success in your business but if you are taking franchise or hiring a brand name you will definitely get popularity or revenue both. In franchise you will also received all the information of what type of tools are needed in carpet cleaning business.

Thanks for reading...
These may be valid points but not too many reputable franchises are interested in someone with a 2K start up budget!

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS A Maine new boy wrote me in May asking what were his chances of success in carpet cleaning? My reply?

http://sfs.jondon.com/3907/bhc/what-is- ... -start-ups

Mike Draper

mishi said:

Thanks for reading...

Sounds like someone wants to advertise on here for free. :oops:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom