What was the biggest mistake you made in your business?

The Preacher

Steve T said a mouth full. anyone can earn/borrow money, build a biz, but even Bill Gates can't buy one extra minute in the day!

Time waits on no man!!!

G

My biggest failure.. is living 'thru ' my biz.. and making it my sole passion..
and not differentiating work from a life outside of it.

I am remedying that as I speak.. and life is good once again. (it was good then.. but getting GREAT)..

Its a biz.. Not life or death.. so dont run it as such.
As long as all parties involved are tickled to death.. its all fair.. and good.. head to the bank.

I think that customers notice a really good cleaning'.. i dont think they notice when you take it to a 'great' level of clean.

So I'll focus on a very good cleaning.. and save my time.. for more 'good cleanings'.. and less great ones.

And depending on where you live.. figure out.. about 2 pricepoints.. that are comfie.. for your geographical market.. and work them to no end.

Later on boys.. taking mommy to supper at Outback..
It's drink special night)..

G

For me my biggest mistake has been not being more organized. Its starts with my accounting and bookkeeping. I've continued to use antiquated spreadsheets instead of Quick books. My marketing is almost non existent, no plan or organization.

I'd be embarrassed to tell you how much money I made this year with my organization skills. If I had any common business sense I'd make twice that. (Dirk, keep your mouth shut)

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Will the REAL Steve Dobson please stand up!!!!! :shock:

Lot a u turns lately mate? :shock:

When you going to jump in the (serious) hot seat? Better wait till the 'new' Steve Dobson has new strategies worked out :? :lol:

John

G

I hear ya John. .

I have grown so much in the past week.

I have never been a negative person.. NEVER.. in person.
But i've been surrounded by death for a year.. maybe two..

I came onto the forums to vent... because I'll always conduct my self with Class in person.. and for not doing so for about a 9 month period on here.. I am sorry.

My way isnt the best... its just my way.
And true.. i get guilty of thinking that it was better.

But what works for you.. is what you should do.. and not what works for me.
I'm fine with that.

I'm just one drop in a huge puddle.. that this industry is.
and i'm totally fine with that.

I have my happy forum face on again.. here to help who I can.. and learn from who I can.

I have made huge changes in the past two weeks.. and I was stubborn to change..
And all of those changes.. are ten fold better than what I was doing.

And to not admit that.. would make me less of a man than my wonderful parents raised me to be.

So in ending.. its back to a great attitude.. happy go lucky guy. .that anyone that is around me in person.. knows that I am.

I lived thru work.. and while we should love our jobs.. and I do.. its not our reason for getting out of bed.. LIFE is..
and i got out of bed to work.. and took passion way overboard.

But you know what? I learned. Now dont get me wrong.. i'll still call a spade a spade on here. .but i admit.. tht it will be MY opinion.. and mine only.. and i'll try my damndest to relay that msg with the most of respect.. and never single anyone or any company out.

Fair enuf. Handshakes, high 5s and smiles to all. Happy holidays.

Life R good..

Without a doubt in the 22 years I have been in business the biggest mistake was buying Whitemagic equipment In my opnion...

...the best thing I ever did was buy Greenie Glides!!!!

Greenie I sent you a PM did you get it...

G

Whether you were or weren't.. it's all good. I know what you meant.. no harm.. no foul.. but I appreciate your taking a few lines to clarify.

I'm laughing with ya buddy. Laughing is living and living is life.. and life IS good.

High5 to ya.

(coyote howl)... oooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
How are you changing Dobs, you always been boring as hell. :shock:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
everyone else who wasn't on the board yet finish this thread.

Chris A

Name
Chris
getting complacent after taking over an established business, then waiting too long to start working on it. Spending too much money the first year on myself. All equally stupid.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Spending ALL of my cash on equipment, leaving me with NOTHING to live on or advertise with, I'm still paying the price for that screw up.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Joey Johnston said:
Spending ALL of my cash on equipment, leaving me with NOTHING to live on or advertise with, I'm still paying the price for that screw up.

That reminds me, putting $7000 down on a new van right before winter...

CleanEvo

Listening to all you guys talking about what pre-sprays and spotters worked "the best"! In stead of sticking with what was working awesome in the first place, ended up with a chem rack full of shit. Got it all sorted out now. :D

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Buying this:
NewTruck003.jpg
, instead of this:
DSC_0059.jpg
:evil:

Advertising full page ads in phonebook
Trying to clean residential with a Chemstractor and OP( first year in buisness,no longer own)
Buying a HM 4.0 spitfire (now gone)
Buying a Waterout trailer(now gone)
Buying a US Products Cobra portable(now gone)

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
there's many such as picking the wrong advertising tool to carry your message, but like steve said above not going to sfs sooner would rank up there.

Terry

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I would say not putting enough money into marketing . I messed up big by buying a bunch of stuff I dont use that will haunt my books all year. I messed up by buying a trailer I dont use also.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
welcome wagon...4k, 1 year and not 1 single call...it still pisses me off.

the sole biggest thing that i regret is not staying in school..i have a 10th grade education (i was asked not to come back) and it makes things harder at times.
we have done a great job so far building the business..in 3 years we have over 2500 customers..i write all my
own ad's and marketing and it works great but it is hard..reports and paper work kill me..but i am
taking classes and bettering myself every day and will overcome my biggest wall.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom