What would Mickey's Board have done?

Mike Draper

Robthecarpetguy said:
Larry B said:
My thought is she called someone else and thinks it was you :lol: Clean the carpets then fight about the price because some other guy gave her a quote

You guys don't do pre-inspection walk through and have them sign some sort of release before you clean? In this day and age I'd never clean before having a signed invoice before I start. People are too grimmy these days...

I agree, I learned my lesson once and that was enough. Always have a signed form to begin work with "Rooms to be cleaned on it and the total cost" before you start. It's called overcoming objections before they have one.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
The only one I ever had a problem with was one of the inlaw's wife.

I worry about a bad review online if I walked but sometimes ya gotta do it. Usually just being an ass like them will mellow them out. Then they'll love you :lol:

Albert

TimP

Mikey P said:
The Coit in me would have told her that to cover the cost of the water she gets$80 in ScotchGord at not cost..

See that 3rd jet right there mam?

Seriously Brian. that's the kind of crap that she will tell her co workers and neighbors about a lot more likely than if you did a great job.

You blew it funny boy.

Yeah and if she's as crazy as she sounds they won't listen to a word she says or at least take her with a grain of salt.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Albert Lazo said:
The only one I ever had a problem with was one of the inlaw's wife.

I worry about a bad review online if I walked but sometimes ya gotta do it. Usually just being an ass like them will mellow them out. Then they'll love you :lol:

Albert

Albert I agree with ya, to an extent, sometimes being firm but polite with the difficult custys makes a world of difference. Some don't respond to the SFS Script, because some people are assholes, and need to be treated as such (to an extent :wink: )

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We would Terry, but Hanukka crosses over Christmas so there won't be any cleaning that day-though we still hope for water losses.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Happy Hanukah and Merry Christmas Ken Snow

1ak.jpg

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Cute Greg :-)

Actually at least 2-3 of our Muslim employees will work Christmas day doing rug restoration and specialty stain removal. They are all commissioned and it is a day they would rather work, and they take some of the Muslim holidays off as well as leave for 2-3 hours every Friday afternoon to go to the mosque.

Ken

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
you have a big enough plant to build Religious areas into each. A mosque booth, temple over there, christians down the hall behind the berber etc etc

Larry B said:
Robthecarpetguy said:
[quote="Larry B":2in72ue6]My thought is she called someone else and thinks it was you :lol: Clean the carpets then fight about the price because some other guy gave her a quote

You guys don't do pre-inspection walk through and have them sign some sort of release before you clean? In this day and age I'd never clean before having a signed invoice before I start. People are too grimmy these days...

Hell no!

We do per room pricing and prices are listed on everything we advertise. We have way too much stuff going on to run around and get people to sign an estimate.

Commercial is pre-bidded

Residential knows our prices before we get their and I have never had to argue price with a customer after service.[/quote:2in72ue6]

Well I would never clean a job without doing a pre-inspection before I start...what if you start cleaning and there are 10 or 20 red spots that you have to use the steemer to get rid of? after you have started the job customers get a lot more upset if you tell them that there are additional charges...when we do it before we start then the customer knows what they are paying rather than getting an inflated bill when your done....I've just found that without a pre-inspection before I start cleaning that I end up doing stuff for free rather than arguing with a customer or making them feel like I'm scamming them....imo

R

rotovacguy

Yeah, Rob, I can see your point. That's always one of the things that I contemplate. I don't know your area, but I'm in a very rural area, most of my custy's are 20-30 miles away, sometimes more. So I can't do a walk through of each custy, even though I agree it would give both yourself and them a better idea of the final cost.

I resolve it by asking as many questions as possible, to avoid any confusion. Each customers idea of a "stain" is different from my own, and I always tell them that stain removal does run extra. I've had custy's tell me that it just needs a little deodorizer to remove the odor. You get there, and the place is like wild kingdom, just like the place Tim P. posted pictures of last week. Dog crap here, cat piss there, dirty clothes laying on the floor, kids toys everywhere.

I had one last month that told me over the phone to do "X" amount of area, fine. The call was on Monday, the job was for Thursday, so she had plenty of time to be ready. I get there and she has me do the upstairs and the main floor first. Great, all I have left is the rec room and kids room in the basement. She says, WAIT! You can't do that today, my son didn't clean his room, and I have clothes all over the floor down there. Oh really? She wanted me to come back again next time I'm in the neighborhood. Ok, Fine. Here's the kicker....she expected me to come back for FREE!!! :lol:

I told her I'd be glad to come back, but there will be an extra charge for not only the fuel, but the time involved with my equipment. She just gave me that blank stare, and couldn't believe I would charge her. So she tried to bargain on the price, to see if I would budge. NO WAY! Her square footage was way higher than she originally told me, so I told her the check she gave me would cover the costs for what I already did, the rest was extra.

Heck, I would've been glad to wait for her to quickly pick up the junk, or even do it myself for a small charge :)

She didn't want to, said she was too busy. Busy? yeah, busy watching soaps.

Guys I'm talking about before each job...I do phone ESTIMATE and than when I get there I do a walk through and a final QUOTE....I do not drive to each and ever job to give an estimate...just to clear things up....

TimP

I always measure and quote. Inspect each room however I never see everything the first time but the tough stuff usually does pop out, not to mention I ask what their main concern is. If there are a bunch of spills of kool aid and they want them out it's extra but I've yet to see anything that was out of my regular price. But I always do a walk through first to see what I'm getting into.

But I charge by the sqft and not by the room. And rarely do my customers know how many sq ft they have say maybe 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 customers if that.

R

rotovacguy

Robthecarpetguy said:
Guys I'm talking about before each job...I do phone ESTIMATE and than when I get there I do a walk through and a final QUOTE....I do not drive to each and ever job to give an estimate...just to clear things up....

That's pretty much how I do it, too.

Question is, how many times have you had to give a final price that was nowhere near the price you originally quoted them on the phone?

If you've had that happen, how did they respond?

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Robthecarpetguy said:

Thats pretty much the same thing we do. They are priced over the phone but they know that if we get their and they have stated bad info to us then the charges will be higher.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
when it is balls to the wall we run 2 1.5 man crews. Right now we run 2 1 man crews because I fired the guy pissing in the truck against the machine and not cleaning up

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
pee in your vac hose like your suppose to not on the blower

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We are located just outside of Detroit and service the Metro Detroit area (don't pick on me here Rendall :-) ) and Ann Arbor area. On a typical day we will have crews as far away as 30-40 miles, working a route, but our core bus is within 5-20 miles.

Ken

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I had a lady in a nice neighborhood shocked that I would request the use of her water. (I had a tank, she was just at the end of a long day.)

She assumed because she paid a dollar for twenty ounces of drinking water in a bottle, my request of fifty gallons was going to cost her a hundred dollars and wanted that off the $350.00 bill. I assured her it would cost less than 10 cents, but she didn't believe me, so she had me call the city water department. They told me they didn't care or have time to figure out how much that it costs but give her a dollar and that would cover it and her next ten loads of laundry.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
ODIN said:
got to remember ken snow is the kind of guy who sends out cleaners on christmas day to clean for Jwits

I went out on Christmas Day to clean carpets for "Elite" Cleaning company. Didn't bother me because I don't have anybody to spend the holiday with, but my helper was pissed. He needed the money though, so he didn't complain too loudly. I did it for $8.00 an hour. He was getting $7.50. Merry Christmas

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
We have a starting wage of $10. and I would dare ask someone to work a holiday for $10.00

I would charge 2 to 3 times the normal rate at least to send a truck so they would be paid the same 2 to 3 times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom