what would you do??

steve g

Name
steve garrett
ok a month or so ago I wrote a post about an insurance adjuster that would not pay for more than 3 days on the air movers and is shorting me payment on 3 we acutally had there that he didn't see. the first thing that made me take this personal is we where standing on the job site and he said I counted 16 fans, I said no we have 19 to his face. anyways I thought no big deal as the subject wasn't brought up again, we get all done with the job and finally get a check, only its short over $1300, I say whats the deal he says I am not paying for more than 3 days on the equipment and I am only paying for 16 fans because that is what I counted, I said no I told you to your face while we where on the job we had 19, I also said the loss happened wednesday morning we met on the job site on friday afternoon and things where not dry yet, this was day 3 mind you. I said you and I where there on day 3 and it was still wet, it took 4 days. basically the conversation turned into a pissing match, I told him we are going to lein the property and sue the customer, he said he is willing to defend it.

anyways, here is my delima, I don't feel like getting hosed for $1300, this guy will never give me any work, he is essentially saying I am lying about having 19 air movers on site, so one side of me says f it sue the customers lein the property and pin this adjusters ass to the wall with court fees and attorneys costs on top of the $1300. the other side of me values my image with the customer and I don't wanna look greedy to the customers as I am sure they feel like I made plenty of money. so here is what I am thinking about doing is telling the adjuster, reminding him the customer authorized us to do the work agreed to pay attorneys fees and unless there is a check for $1000 in my mail box in 7 days I will be filling suit and going after court costs and attorneys fees.

Name
Al
"IF" you have the documentation and pictures and a signed contract from the home owner, don't think, do it. Also don't cut the price that just tells them you might give. I have done this in the past as soon as home owner gets the court notice you will be paid. In your letter to the home owner send them the documentation so they will know you have the info. WE DO NOT WORK FOR THE ADJUSTERS.

One question? If the flood happened on Wed. morning and you met the adjuster on Fri. that is only day 2 of rental. When did you remove the equipment? If you took the equipment out on Sat. that is 3 days.

Al Bradham
Carpet Care Services & DisasterCare
Called To Care...
843-693-1300 Mobile

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I have all the documentation, yes I have already billed the customer, the customer sent him a copy of our invoice showing the balance, I know full well I will get paid when the people get the law suit, another adjuster tryed to screw me so I sued the people, it was in an area I don't normally work so I was more inclined to be agressive. I got paid and it never went to court, all i did was file a small claims action. I know I CAN get paid, its just if I wanna go to the trouble or not and if its worth it. I don't like looking like this in front of the customer, I want the people to be happy with the work, and wanna call me again if they have another flood or know someone that has one. It amazing you get some adjusters who act like they are paying for it themselves. I have no doubt I can win this in court, I still haven't decided what the RIGHT thing to do is yet, I am sure purposely not paying for the 3 extra fans when I told him on the job we had more is driving my ill feelings over the edge.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
What's the customers thought's?

Do they see you as just another service person?
or
Do they see you as their service person.

Are they willing to back you? Will they confirm the number of pieces equipment you had there?

We would talk with them explaining the situation and let them know we are going to show a balance and continue to bill them. Ask them to call or forward the bill to the insurance company.

The tough part about this is even those that are on your side can and often will tire of the whole issue.

We collect on a few by continuing to billing them, but equal amount go down as bad debt.

The notice to lien will get you paid but you'll lose them as a customer.

We had a cheerleader type customer that was loving us, even making meals for the guys.

Had trouble with collecting from the adjuster and told her we wanted her to tell the adjuster we would put a lien against her home if we didn't get paid. We wouldn't have but knew the threat would make him move.

She was never the same, in fact she jumped sides and was now questioning us on the same issues the adjuster had.

$1,300.00 is a lot to walk away from, not so much what it you, because it's just equipment rental.

But the dollar amount is so high if you give it away, it looks bad.

Who can afford to give away $1300.00?

I'd write him a letter, maybe get the insured to sign that the equipment was there and see if you can't at least negotiate for half $650.00, giving him a break for the additional day (even though he doesn't deserve it). ????

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom