What would you like from the IICRC?

Mikey P

Administrator
As shareholders, we were asked this at the meeting, since in my view, all of you are shareholders as well, what would YOU like?

Chris A

Name
Chris
An online format, it's too hard to have techs off for multiple days, and there are instructors out there that spend more time talking about themselves and their accomplishments than covering the practical stuff. I haven't been to a class in years but the last one I sat in on a little with a tech was a joke. I enjoyed my instructors from my early years but most of those guys are done now.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
X amount relevant years experience from an instructor some have no idea and are just covering material (badly)

X amount practical time as a prerequisite for a tech to enroll on a course.
I did my WDR with 3 guys who had worked less than a week as cleaners let alone seen water damage.
Was also an admin for a cleaning company who was doing the course so she could understand what the techs she was sending out did. I asked why she didnt just go on jobs with them? She looked horrified at the notion.

F

FB7777

and there are instructors out there that spend more time talking about themselves and their accomplishments than covering the practical stuff. I haven't been to a class in years but the last one I sat in on a little with a tech was a joke. I enjoyed my instructors from my early years but most of those guys are done now.

We definitely took the same classes...legends indeed. Most of these buffoons couldn’t hack it in the real world

One instructor was even pitching his marketing program during the class.

Don’t forget them feeding the answers to the dummies

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Transparency in their pay structure, what exactly they do and how much time they actually spend doing it. So that we can see what they actually do and how much they are paid for it.

Make themselves relevant. If the public knows practically nothing about them, they and their certificate are practically useless for us.

How many here completely dropped them even though (like me) they were certified up the kazoo?

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
I agree last instructor about 10yrs ago was blabbing all about his big time past (failed) carpet cleaning company... they kept trying to sell pro team vacuums and spotting kits.

Very little hands on anything, more useless info about carpet construction

Reactions: BIG WOOD

steamron

Name
Ron
26 years doing this work, I took the class and passed because it was suppose to mean something. (NOT)
Never ever has someone called and ask if I was certified.

All customers want are clean carpets, they don't care what machine you have or what detergents you use.
If you show up on time with a clean van, clean outfit and are pleasant they will trust you to a point.
When you give them what they want (clean carpets) they will be happy.

IICRC made sense at one point, but it can not control the outcome of a cleaner in Anywhere USA
Sure, an owner can be certified, now the firm is certified. What about the employees who only care about a check at the end of the week?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Actually, In the trades, the hangers get no respect
By and large they're much like carpet installers .....a majority of misfits, dysfunctionals and druggies

A good "finisher" gets respect and is a "tradesman"

..L.T.A.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Ed York's Society of Cleaning Technicians was fun and the education was a monthly newsletter...included marketing and how to be successful as well as how to do things.
There were classes and get togethers that remind me of Mikey Fests.
Mike reminds me of Ed...in a good way.
Most of the IICRC classes are overly technical.
I think there are too many letters in IICRC.
We are Cleaners and smart but a little ADD...stop boring us to death.

Name
Matt Middleton
Transparency in their pay structure, what exactly they do and how much time they actually spend doing it. So that we can see what they actually do and how much they are paid for it.

Make themselves relevant. If the public knows practically nothing about them, they and their certificate are practically useless for us.

How many here completely dropped them even though (like me) they were certified up the kazoo?
We were till '96. Got bummed out over all the issues and lack of clarity. But I remember I was told that we were not members... We we REGISTRANTS. No input, no support, actually no help to us at all. So goodbye.

We never had any client respect us better when we were fully certified. Never had any client question us when we weren't.

Our cleaning/restoration education:
Jeff Bishop, Clean Care seminars, Jon-Don, Strategies for Success, and the now defunct ICS and Cleanfax bbs.

Adding to the above, listening to all of the experience here at Mikeys.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
What more could I possibly want other than the opportunity to help fund this with my dues?:

f1ad389ea4ae93881fecbc4b26e26857.jpg

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
this is my take on it.

You better get it right this time - I dont think you can last another round if you fail.

I give Mike about 24 months before he resigns in frustration, like most of the well meaning people before him.

I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm just a shareholder rep at this point.

I was asked to sit on some committees to help "work my way in"...

WHen my wants were expressed to the group, I saw a lot of head nods going on.

I'll be making some phone calls soon to see if there is a chance in hell that my wants are achievable.

If not, I'll just clean up more desert trash.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom