What would you say about a business that does this?

DevilDog

This business is doing very well...but their reputation is not the greatest...especially with other cleaners that actually know what is going on.

Tell me what you think.

1. Hires new techs with NO experience....they are cleaning on their own within three to four days after watching videos and doing one or two ride arounds.

2. "Cleans" carpets at around 100 PSI with 1 to 1.5 jets.

3. Uses no airmovers to help dry times, although at that psi you probably don't need to use much air movement.

4. Charges upwards of .75 a sq. ft. and if it is urine work over $3.25 a sq. ft.

5. Pays their technicians around $9 an hour and 10% of commissions.

6. HARDCORE up selling is taught.

7. Does quotes using infrared magnifying glasses as part of their "show."

I could say a lot more but I do not want to give away the name of the business.

But I am interested, honestly, it what you guys think of a business that is run this way.

DevilDog

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Good that should generate plenty of dissatisfied customers for other cleaners. i realized some time ago why some companies need to market aggressively they can't consistently make happy clients it's one big revolving door fueled with marketing. then again plenty of consumers are stupid and fall for it.

i have a W/W job next week a IICRC, ASCR, CCINW company cleaned carpet was wet for 2 days except the stairs (nylon) where wet for 4 days ... she was dreading getting the carpet cleaned again

DevilDog

LOL Kevin.

I wish I could say more, and I am not trying to say I run a perfect ship...far from it. But my God, what I have seen and been told is sort of shocking to be honest.

YET...this company seems to be the dream model for a number of cleaners here and around the country. Just surprises me.

I am honestly wondering how many companies are run this way...no wonder I hate this business!!

If I thought I could run a business that way and do great...God, I would have done it. Ahhhhhh, no I wouldn't.

No comment right or wrong Terry!!

DevilDog

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Kinda reminds me of that business I started up that was supposed to be a pizza joint, but it you ordered "extra anchovies" I came out and "serviced" the gals who were in need of a little companionship....

Oh wait! That's a movie I saw on late night cable over at my buddy's house!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
if they are doing well, obviously they are doing something to sell the work.
If they are unethical about it or not providing the service they say they are, then they will NEED to be good marketers to replace everyone that calls. People that pay 75cents/sf expect it to be cleaned well and if it isn't they won't stick around.

Take some of the good points from a busn like that and leave the bad.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Todd

What you have "heard" sounds very implausible so I suspect the a lot of what you have been told is not quite accurate. I would suggest taking with a grain of salt what anyone claims to know about the inner working of a company and question the motive(s) of those who come from within and talk about stuff.

It amazing some of the ridiculous things I have heard about my company, allegedly "from insiders" or just things that people assume, or make up because we may be considered the big bad competition. Just be careful not to put too much credence in anything you can't see with your own eyes.

Ken

Scott

Todd, what the heck is an infrared magnifying glass? I can't find any on Google and it sounds way cool.

Scott

DevilDog

Actually Ken what I told you is the TRUTH. From multiple sources. EXCELLENT sources.

The point is not to knock the company...maybe I am just doing almost EVERYTHING wrong!! And by the way, I am not the only one that is sorta amazed at what this company does, and how they do it.

DevilDog

P.S.- And please do not ask who the company is. I am not going to say. Period.

steve r

sounds like Benjamin Franklin plumbing around here.

they feed on the desperate and uneducated.and charge more than everyone else.

if you can do it and sleep at night go for it.its not as bad as most of corporate America or politicians or lawyers.....

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
Todd, would Hagen know what company you are talking about? I am fishing with him on Wednesday.

I recently matched a bid of another company, the company has been around for many years and they have a yellow pages ad with a different phone # for every area of town

they bid $440 to clean & wax 3 small rooms of sheet vinyl and a small hallway, clean the tile in two bathrooms, and then clean all the carpet. Building is about 10,000 sq ft. My original bid was $850

I matched the bid and it took 6 man hours to do the work and I am pretty organized and quick

The local Venturi truck guys do apartments. One day he was bragging about doing a 2 bedroom apartment in 10 minutes. I said to him, and you are bragging about it? They do all the property manager and tech guys units for free to keep the accounts

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
This is exactly why the CRI or the rest of us need to design a brochure or a full scale marketing blitz to warn the public that they are getting scammed by the big companies that have to advertise a lot.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Todd, one person's truth may be another person's rumor. Or it could all be true. If I tell a person a lie, or something I believe to be true that isn't and they tell 10 other people all of whom are believed to be honest people, I am still lying or spreading an untruth. The number of people who believe something does not automatically make that thing more correct.

Chris A

Name
Chris
DevilDog said:
This business is doing very well...but their reputation is not the greatest...especially with other cleaners that actually know what is going on.

Funny their reputation is worse among other cleaners, the ones whose opinions matter the least. I would say that if the business is doing well, their either doing something right, or are pure marketing geniuses.

DevilDog

God, I wish I could say more!!

Ken...what I have said is TRUE. If you knew what I know...and how I know it...you wouldn't have any doubts.

Just let me put it this way...there are lots of people that simply do NOT know they are being charged a HUGE amount EXTRA for the show.

I'll leave it at that.

To be honest, there is not much of a difference to me, and many others, between the bait-and-switch $9.99 a room guy and the company I am talking about.

I really wish I could explain more.

DevilDog

DevilDog said:
Just let me put it this way...there are lots of people that simply do NOT know they are being charged a HUGE amount EXTRA for the show.

DevilDog

That sounds like those fancy 5 star restaurants, Fancy art work on the plates and a small portion of food and a big price tag. Same people lined up day after day.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
KevinL said:
This is exactly why the CRI or the rest of us need to design a brochure or a full scale marketing blitz to warn the public that they are getting scammed by the big companies that have to advertise a lot.

If this isn't a joke, I don't know what is. Need to put one of these at the end of a statement like that: :lol:

Don't you guys start getting brave and all jump on devil-dog now. I was ready to slap the crap out of every last one of you after that SS post I made when you all dogpiled me. (Yes, I know I would have gotten an XTREME-Whooping, among other things.)Yes, I called out the SS dude. Devildog isn't calling anybody out, and trying to keep a secret a secret. If he's scared of the big bad wolf, let him be scared.

Ken Snow:

Nothing but respect for you. You run a large operation and I hear you do it well. I bet you get a little tired of the owner operator/small cleaner automatically assuming you are evil, have sold your soul and sold out and started listening to soft rock at the same time. (WTF?) Don't be so quick to jump. Some people are hacks. Some people are not. It doesn't hurt much for guys within the industry to go on a witch-hunt and wax-poetic about who may or may not be a poorly polished turd. When it stems out to speaking with customers, you need only warn them not to do so if you want them to avoid looking like a fool. A harmless hack-hunt is mostly harmless. Cleaners need to vent to somebody who will understand. I think this can be productive to a certain extent.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Gary- I don't mind a little drama and fun on the board but it really is lame the way this one is. Here's one I'll start.

There is a company I know FOR A FACT (just can't tell you who or how I know), that does great work and makes a ton of money. I know all their secrets IT IS ALL A FACT (just can't tell you how I know or who they are.

This company is somewhere (can't say where or that will give you a clue), but they make a ton of money and do good work. I know this FOR A FACT, but don't ask me how I know.

Ken
Ps- This post wouldn't likely get 2 replies cause it isn't controversial enough. If I started talking about how they rip people off then now we'd be gettin the bb rants going.

Ken

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Don start wit ME..YOU'RE the one that STARTED this fiasco!

"Watch the connOrhED"

Right.......lik that's possible!

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
MICKEY's BAAAAACK

Hope your trip was relaxing and enjoyable Mike!

Ken
Ps Bob's guys scrape the pot and crack scraps off sofa deckings.

danpauselius

Not to bust the "Best carpet cleaner in the whole damned world" bubble but aren't we all in business to make money? The company can't be too horrible if they're able to keep the money train rolling.

I often wonder who has it right, the guy who spends hours and hours doing his job to the best of his ability for as little as he can afford, or the guy who bangs out job after job and goes home and rolls around naked in his money. Personally ... I kinda like money.

Now, of course there is middle ground in there somewhere (I have a feeling that's where most of us are) but you do have to give credit to anybody who manages to make a buck and stay in business.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom