What you wish you learned in carpet cleaning class

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
And face it the IICRC isn't going to do it.

Tim: Its not up to the IICRC to direct what extra content I put in my class, its up to me. Thanks for your suggestions, I do most, but am looking how to work in a few more of them.

To really do it right, I need a four day or a separate advanced class.

All of you have given me some needed reinforcement for what I do, and some great ideas of what I could do better.

Thank you all.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I think we need a new super duper Prochem sponsored circa 1991 Instructional video to show after lunch the first day!

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
A fourth day might be a hard sell, but I've said for decades we need an advance class to cover things that just can't be covered in a 2 or 3 day class (carpet and upholstery).
IMHO you are the right person to do just that...with your reputation and teaching skills I think anything you do will be a success!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thank you Tom.

Your comments and many of the other suggestions are making me consider developing such a class.

Thank you all for your help and encouragement!

TimP

B&BGaryC said:
[quote="The Great Oz":18g479fp]The difference between 6 and 6.6 nylon. Why this is critical to know.

do tell[/quote:18g479fp]

Gary if you know the differences the black helicopters might come for you so you're best to be out of the loop. :mrgreen:

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Calmly state to the class, "When a customer declines an estimate,..." and then scream at the top of your lungs: IT'S NOT THE PRICE!

It means you didn't offer them a solution to their problem that had a higher value than the price tag listed right above the dotted line. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR COMPETITORS OR THOSE COUPON HACKS THAT YOU THINK YOU ARE COMPETING AGAINST!

When things go wrong on a job it's because you don't have your game down yet. You not only need to know how to do it, but how to explain what it is you are doing and how to do it in a manner that doesn't upset the client. A price on the page is a price on the page, it's explaining how you came to that price that sells the job.

Also, when somebody complains or calls you back, it rarely has anything to do with the work, you skipped a tooth on the customer service gear. I know you can't teach SFS, but just put it in their mind that they need to seek out guidance somewhere somehow from somebody who knows.

When you know your craft, you will be confident, and that confidence will make your job easier because it sets the customer at ease.

I would like to second whoever said wand technique needed to be taught. I find it is lacking from most IICRC classes simply because the instructor doesn't want to start an argument about who has the best way

Moisture control. Teach them to notice how and where they are using more solutions and moisture and to make up for that with extra dry strokes and air movement or padding.

Teach them to listen to their equipment. How to tell if the hydroforce is sucking air instead of chemical. (When you release the trigger it keeps spraying.)

How to tell when vacuum is obstructed, when water flow is hindered (is a shutoff turned halfway off? My new tech brought the machine in for repair because of that one.) Is a jet plugged?

Big one: You'll have to teach this on non IICRC day.

What name brand chemicals are classified as. Go for the major 4, Bridgepoint, Prochem, Whoever and whatchacallit.

Ex: Bridgepoint/prochem's Protein spotter is a high PH alkaline spotter
BP All Solv / Solvent Clean is a Volatile dry solvent
BP PIG is a Non-Volatile dry solvent
BP TCU is an acid spotter
BP Perky spotter is a neutral detergent spotter
BP Avenge is a neutral enzyme spotter that can substitute for a NDS
BP Fab set is an acid rinse
BP Power Point is an alkaline emulsifier
Zone perfect is an whatchakallit prespray etc etc etc
Get them using the proper classifications instead of the name brands. It will help them break brand loyalty to find a better product.
It will help them understand the manual better and help them communicate with other cleaners that use different brands. Teach them the difference in ingredients. What kind of acid does better for rinsing what kind of products

Teach them how to tell you what a chemical is based on what it's ingredients are....

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
TimP said:
B&BGaryC said:
[quote="The Great Oz":1llllw25]The difference between 6 and 6.6 nylon. Why this is critical to know.

do tell

Gary if you know the differences the black helicopters might come for you so you're best to be out of the loop. :mrgreen:[/quote:1llllw25]

Didn't we settle the black helicopter thing? It was several months worth of training exercises at a nearby airfield.

I've talked with oldschool carpet reps (Have one in my BNI) He really likes the 6.6 fiber. He says it cleans a lot better. And, his carpets cleaned up a lot better. I heard the 6.6 is susceptible to oxidizers though. Also, how the heck do you tell a 6.6 fiber from a 6 fiber without the homeowner telling you?

TimP

Gary I was trying to make a joke but I guess you didn't get it.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Oh I got it. I just think I deserve a little credit that there actually was a military training session going on in my back yard (down the street.) How many paranoid wackos get that kind of validation?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I would think teaching cleaners about all the little things that aid the job, sliders (esp ones that actually work), lift buddy, sticky tabs, or at least about proper tabbing and blocking. Lots of cleaners put the paper side down with the foiled tabs.
Proper strategy for cleaning a furnished room, ie move this here, etc
Proper wand technique really helps. Mike West taught that. I had been cleaning for 2 yrs before the course. I had "figured out" the wand stroke about a month or so before.

Tell them where they can go for help outside the class. This board, to find other cleaners to network with, etc.
Teach dilutions, ratios. How to use a HF or a battery sprayer.

How to set up a portable, wand speed, etc,
How to set up a tm, laying out hose,
respect for the Vacuum line!! how it can cause A LOT of damage

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom