Whatever happened to these guys?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Devil Dog Todd who hated carpet cleaning, Jeff Dobson whose religion was carpet cleaning, Thang who liked massage parlors but didn't like to be called Thong, Lance from San Diego (Did he ever get into the biz?), and that guy who posted about himself as Mo, and I'm sure you can think of many others.

Last edited:

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Devil doo doo is still cleaning in a unmarked van. He still cleans does some overflow for Mountain View. Dobbers still cleaning one living room a day. Pre scrubbing with a Cimex. His back is fried. No clue about Thang. Lance is still trying to get the White Magic going and trying to find out the BESt pre-spray on the market.

Golden Boy

Mikey P

Administrator
Steve Dobson and Thang both showed up on Bristor's Extortion Board for a post or two so they could buy their Fostor Tough valves.

Todd gave up on cock fighting in Manilla and is still cleaning. Thang was the best fit for this board and I miss him. I wonder if he still has my old Butler.

No sign of Lance. After his blow us here with Green Girl and his fight with Greenie he just vanished. Thank you LBJ!

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Anybody seen my buddy Thang : )

Mission Mikey Impossible!
Someone go find this guy!

He sounds like a ton a fun.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Last I saw of Josh was over on Coopers "all six of us" board shortly before Cooper kicked me off so Bob and lectroweenie Terri could come back.

That move worked well for him... LOL!

hogjowl

Idiot™
There's nothing like this place. I probably couldn't stand being around you for over two minutes in person, but you run a great board.

F

FB7777

What exactly is "this place " Marty. I'm thinking yore operation is a rotary phone on an end table next to yore living room sofa and one truck next to the wife's car on the unpaved part of your driveway

Admiral Clean LOL

More like The Skipper and his lil buddy

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I have to go out back and climb my telephone pole to answer my phone..................is that so bad?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
what about Daniel???

that guy was funny....gonna conquer the world............all on low setting:dejection:

hogjowl

Idiot™
I do have a "place" in which my business resides. It is not out of my home. In fact, it is a commercial building that Google recognizes as a true business address. However, that really doesn't matter a bit. My business would be just as legitimate if it were based out of my garage or home office. Having an outside base was just a way for me to get out of the house and allow me to take my afternoon naps unencumbered.

As for the state of my business, and the fact that after almost 30 years of existence it can not be without me for more than a few hours, it is true that I should be ashamed. At least, as far as conventional wisdom teaches. However, any of you who have know me for very long know that conventional doesn't describe me in the very least, and wisdom is seldom used as an adjective when people talk of me. Pig farmers seldom receive the respect we deserve.

Years ago, I made the decision that I just couldn't manage everything I had on my plate and run a well managed multi-truck business. I tried it and was miserable. The kids were young, responsibilities drew me different directions and I made the conscious decision to scale down and run a one man show. It took a couple of years to get it that way. I didn't just fire everyone and send them out into the night. As they quit, I didn't replace them. As my employees left, the first thing to go was my disaster restoration business. As the last one left, my secretary, I closed the flooring store. For the past 12 years I have existed in the very back office of what used to be my retail location running a one man band and enjoying my life. I have been able to be at all my daughters dance competitions, my son's football and baseball games and have been able to continue that with my grandchildren. I have been completely snowed in with work, seldom able to take off for a week (one time a year every year) and many people look at my lifes work as a failure. I have been quite pleased.

It is true though, I am tied to this place. I about went stark raving mad the week I spent at SFS a few years back. My personality is well suited to being tied down with farming and cleaning duties. I am a simple soul who doesn't need much to make me happy. I like having my "place" to be and don't need much in the way of outside interests. The only thing we own that the world would consider as being a sign of "success" is our vacation home in Gulf Shores, but I seldom go there. My wife, before she got sick, would spend almost all summer there. My kids were raised there in their summers. I would come on an occasional weekend or a holiday only. I had things to do here.

So yes, my business would be considered mismanaged in the conventional sense. But yet, I am still happy. Too stupid to even realize I have it bad.

Now that my son has decided to make his life's work the same as mine, there is a possibility that I will one day have time to have a life outside of my business.

I sure hope not though. I don't think I could live long being free to do as I please.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Marty nailed it as my "Life" too has revolved around my family.
All you have to do is watch other cultures like one I saw about a guy in some far east country who all he did was make noodles all day.
That was his business and he was happy and he had a nice family.

We can all complicate our lives by being too busy with business and missing what really is life.

Keep it simple

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
It's all about ..................LOVE!

LOVE makes our simple lives..................HAPPY!

CARING AND SHARING!

LOVE!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
What exactly is "this place " Marty. I'm thinking yore operation is a rotary phone on an end table next to yore living room sofa and one truck next to the wife's car on the unpaved part of your driveway

Admiral Clean LOL

More like The Skipper and his lil buddy

I always find it amusing when guys who have a few trucks and a few employees turn their noses up at owner/operators, especially those of us who have been doing this for decades. Tom King sneers and calls us garage operators like Boyle did with Marty. Toeburn will tell us nothing is more sad than to see someone growing old behind the wand. There is great dignity in running a very profitable recession-proof business by yourself and providing a level of quality that no multi-truck company could dream of matching. All well staying healthy and strong into your late years and enjoying life while doing so. We should all respect one another in this business.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I always find it amusing when guys who have a few trucks and a few employees turn their noses up at owner/operators, especially those of us who have been doing this for decades. Tom King sneers and calls us garage operators like Boyle did with Marty. Toeburn will tell us nothing is more sad than to see someone growing old behind the wand. There is great dignity in running a very profitable recession-proof business by yourself and providing a level of quality that no multi-truck company could dream of matching. All well staying healthy and strong into your late years and enjoying life while doing so. We should all respect one another in this business.
Those of us that have been around the block a few times know that multiple crews can result in more marketing expense to keep the guys busy, vehicle cost, insurance, your shop and other expence , increase headaches and less profit per job.

Reactions: Shorty and GCCLee

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik

I do respect and see where you guys are coming from, on the other hand it can be very risky. I have had the flu for a week, not only would we have lost $6,000. in revenue, we could have lost an account. With most of our commercial accounts we have a very small window to get them done, in this case it is an $18,000 a year account. God forbid any O/O has any serious heath problems, it could be catastrophic.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
The results I see from multi trucks ain't at all impressive.

Maybe at throwing a buncha fans an such around, but Good Ol Fashioned HWE Carpet Cleaning.
Too busy keeping a over packed schedule and H2O/Fires to give a shit about Real Quality Rug Sukin .I.

So theres Us : ) eating at their over stressed pockets and laughing to the bank.

Merry Christmas Eves Eve : )

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
When you have the right people, there is very little stress. I don't even need to go down to the shop and I know everything is taken care of. If anything the younger guys can do a great job and work longer days than I can.

For the young guys... If you were to die, what would you family do?

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom