Whats a zerorez Truckmount? anyone?

Name
Lee Stockwell
In this thread Shawn has at least twice talked about the "danger" of routing the exhaust thru the work area of the box. WHAT danger? You need a darn ladder to get into the truck and it has a barn door sized opening.

Don't get me going....

Mikey P

Administrator
A Manufacture claiming he is going to "bitchslap" a potential customer while calling another an idiot all in one post..

Only on the Mikey board... :roll: :shock: :roll:

Greenie

Take this for what it is.....but a traditional tube and shell SS heat exchanger at high pressure is nothing short of landmine, just waiting to go off. It will split a truck in two, and won't leave much of a human body if you are near it, "shrapnel" is not an over statement, just a very accurate description.

Do thermal relief valves (pop off valve) work for non-circulated water? Or is there a potential chance they will not engage quickly enough, therefore making them borderline worthless in the right example?

I'm thinking you would want a pressure relief valve instead.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Thanks shawn, rather than address the issues we resort to name calling, that's real professional

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Shawn York said:
Greenie said:
Take this for what it is.....but a traditional tube and shell SS heat exchanger at high pressure is nothing short of landmine, just waiting to go off. It will split a truck in two, and won't leave much of a human body if you are near it, "shrapnel" is not an over statement, just a very accurate description.

Do thermal relief valves (pop off valve) work for non-circulated water? Or is there a potential chance they will not engage quickly enough, therefore making them borderline worthless in the right example?

I'm thinking you would want a pressure relief valve instead.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Sorry Jim - Greenie just passed you up as the smartest V Man on the planet. Unless of course you can expand on what the Greenman just said...

I think I just had a Vorgasm.

Hey Greenie,

If you were making your own V (hehehe) what would you set that pressure relief valve at? (Keep in mind you need to accommodate those who want to pressure wash at 3000 psi.)

correct me if I am wrong....... but the thermal pressure relief is not set up for how much pressure that you want to run at a pressure sprayer....it is set for the amount of pressure that is building while the water is being heated.....that is where the main concern is....
water pressure is just as it states.....and when you are adjusting your machine to what ever pressure you want....hot or cold is not going to make a difference..you PSI is coming from the pump.....it is your heating system that could blow if not balanced correct....as long as the water is moving you are releasing the pressure....once it stops then the thermal pressure will start to build....after a certain temp with no relief then something has got to give.....there are pressure relief valves that monitor temp and water pressure of standing heated water...but either way this is just a disaster waiting to happen...your best bet is and always will be a secondary system that heats up and then controls the heat of the water....( just like the therm oil heater)........I have worked on huge boilers that with in a few months the hard water heated and coated the heat exchangers and clogged the relief valves....once that happened the encased exchanges blew to pieces.......any one who has worked on any type of boilers should be able to tell you that heating water like that has no limits to the dangers it can cause....way to many things can go wrong............

Mikey P

Administrator
Seriously Shawn.

You and Bruders should be sending Jim Marin spiffs each month.

He is saving you all a ton with his free advice.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Karma has served you well hasn't it?

Fact is...selling machines based on scarey scenarios has been going on for years.

Shawn has been taking lessons from Bill Bane.

:)
Lee

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
So, if you have a HX running after the pump, has a thermal relief set to release at 300psi, but I boost my water pressure to 1000psi in order to use tile tools, will the thermal relief open as soon as pressure builds to 301psi even if the temp is 220F?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Ron Werner said:
So, if you have a HX running after the pump, has a thermal relief set to release at 300psi, but I boost my water pressure to 1000psi in order to use tile tools, will the thermal relief open as soon as pressure builds to 301psi even if the temp is 220F?

a thermal relief is for the pressure that builds as the water is being heated...not the amount of PSI that the pump is giving you.....

steve g

Name
steve garrett
back in my earlier days we ran prochem performers, with chimps running these machines as you can imagine about anything could and did happen, including clogged orfices, ie the thing that keeps water moving through the larger main HX, when this happened it would blow the main hose that connected up to the HX, not spew shrapnel that could kill people like, bill bane, cough cough.........yorkie is trying to tell us. the point is there is a weaker link in the system, lets also keep in mind how an HX is made, it has tubes that are incased in a larger steel tube surrounding them, if these overheat, if a hose didn't blow first, one of the inner tubes would split open first. INSIDE The larger incasement of the HX, thus stopping so called potential shrapnel.

to me this is a better scenario than heating up brake fluid, even though it does have a high flash point, it still has one none the less. and risking the potential of blowing hot flaming brake fluid all over the inside of the trucks box and onto a customers oriental rugs.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've had plenty of industrial experience with steam and related systems. No machine is ever "fool proof" because there is alway a ready supply of new and improved fools.

Harping on real or perceived "dangers" of the AT system actually hurts Vortex too...dummy. Like a Buick mechanic slamming Chevys.

Thanks,
Lee

Name
Lee Stockwell
Many times "failed experiments" are later re-examined, tweaked, and subsequently improved.

Your "double boiler" concept has been used as a safety feature in kitchens (and industry) for many years...it's a good one. It's not the "only" one however.

Many potentially dangerous machines have been tamed and have the track record to prove it. Innovation is a great thing.

Your position sort of remind me of Henry Ford's attitude toward hydraulic brakes. If he'd had his way we would all have mechanical brakes yet. His scare tactics, and the few mishaps early hydraulic brakes had occasionally, were unfortunate for his competitive position in the market.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
my vote goes to tony, I love stories of catastrophic failure, stuff blowing up, bearings seizing, one thing I left out is, all the aerotech machines that I have seen recently have a thick insulating blanket that wraps the HX, I would imagine this along with the steel under the insulating blanket would protect against any issues of deadly shrapnel, anyways what are the chances of standing in the box when something like this happens, I spend a very small amount of time in my trailer while the unit is running.

so shawn, lets imagine a machine is only going to be used in a warm climate, like florida, so cal etc, would you have used a direct exhaust HX like AT currently uses for their design on your machine?? if this so called dangerous HX was mounted under the truck wouldn't that make it safe, the only real benefit to the zen stuff is you don't have to mount the HX outside the truck and worry about it freezing or you don't have to route truck exhaust into the box.

for the record I am not a fan of either the AT or V systems, I think both are kinda white elephant units, personally I would rather save my 401k :lol: and buy a used machine for cash, so I don't have debt, or if I had more cash I would rather have more than one unit so they can be 2 places at once. there are plenty of cheaper machines capable of producing a steady 230ATM which is plenty for the jobs I do. however I do like to get shawn fired up all in good fun of course. dale earnhardt once said "doesn't matter if they are cheering or booing, they are making noise"

Name
Lee Stockwell
Jason, wife Neysha, and kids Sienna and Simon live in Masatepe Nicaragua. I miss him cleaning carpets and being close, but I'm proud of the work they do there. He bought some property and is building a very modest home there in his spare time.

Not many carpets to clean there, but he blitzes here every August for most of a month to pay his way. There is probably no man I respect more than Jason.

M

mojoe77

I have a 1999 model 777 vortex with the new style coolant heat exchanger my own heat as you drive coil and xyntherm oil......the truck needs a bit more heat get's 180 f in freezing temperatures run a 7# wand 350 psi i am going to add a blower exchanger from larry cobbs site.....but if my xyntherm oil did overheat and glaze can i fix this or is it just the way it is

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i wouldn't add a blower heat exchanger if i were you. just a couple words of advise.

if you need more heat, descale the whole system well. then take, a shotgun cleaning string thingy, and clean the exhaust holes on your e-3 ( the heat exchanger that is outside of truck).
this should bump you back up to where you need to be, if everything else is running and maintained like it is supposed to be. !gotcha!

Back
Top Bottom