What’s changed with VLM to have changed my mind?

Mikey P

Administrator
If you asked my long list of jealous ex virtual lovers, they would say “Because TOPS is paying you!”

and I would retort, “KMA and wipe it with a microfiber bonnet!”
God only knows how many times I would argue in the early days on the WWW with John Guerkink using the poopy fingers analogy to make my point on why hot water extraction is better than pad cleaning..

(don’t worry, I still wash my hands after going potty)

Now in the new age of multi method cleaning professionals, when it comes to carpet cleaning, the microfiber bonnets and the new wave of machines that spin, jiggle and wiggle them, I have dramatically changed my outlook on how I, and a whole slew of old HWE diehards, clean carpeting these days.

A few of you will remember when the low moisture guys on the forums would post pics of a 3 foot stack of filthy (100%) cotton pads on the doorstep of a home or business in much the same way as Hot Water guys show the filthy water draining out of their waste tanks. It was a badge of honor to show off how much soil was removed by bragging about how many pads you used on that one job. The thing was back in those days, those pads would load up with gunk in just a few twirls on a visibly soiled carpet. In as little as a square yard the cotton was no longer able to hold any more soil, especially when you consider that you had to essentially cover up 50% of the pad with a thin plastic disc of sorts in order to enable you to move the “wheels up” rattle trap of a jackhammer machine back then…

Just like a whole generation of HWE guys who have never cleaned without a Teflon glide on their wands, this new generation of cleaners have never experienced the joy of using the old machines that numbed your hands in no time and would only move TO THE LEFT! (If you wanted to go right you had to face the other direction…)

I tried to adapt on four or five occasions to that style of cleaning over the years when different manufactures would give me machines to test, I could never last more than a room or two…

The Cimex played a big part in my company for 15 years or more because it was so easy to use, and the dirt stayed hidden for so long. My techs and I happily hoped and prayed that the encapsulated soil would vacuum away in the proceeding weeks as we sunk the soil deeper and deeper with every visit.

But deep down, we knew it didn’t.

1648992817752.png

It feels like it was much longer ago, but it was just 2019 at a Mikey’s Fest in Las Vegas, that the fine folks at TOPS awarded me with a shiny new wheels down OP machine as a thank you for what I do for the RMHC. You can watch my progression of adapting to this newish way of extracting soil from carpet with these magical highly absorbent pads on my You Tube channel and my online forum.

The ”Bucket Test” is what really converted me, and I suggest you take the test as well. Go clean 500 SF of dirty carpet and put the blue microfiber pad in a 5 gallon buck of hot water, and let it sit for a few minutes, then stir the water with a pole and watch that water turn as dark and nasty as what comes out of your truckmount’s waste tank…

If you don’t understand after that display of gravity defying logic, than perhaps you might want to consider a career change to window or rain gutter washing.
Better yet, go visit that job a month later and let your mind soak in how great the carpet STILL LOOKS.
No wicking, no dirty dish rag stench for weeks after cleaning, far less resoiling…

With emission restrictions coming soon to our gasoline powered extractors and the vehicles that carry them, VLM will need be a much bigger part of your cleaning toolbox, whether you like it or not.

And yes, I still steam clean most residential carpet, albeit with a cheap Chinese $200 wand these days but that’s a story for another day.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
If you asked my long list of jealous ex virtual lovers, they would say “Because TOPS is paying you!”

and I would retort, “KMA and wipe it with a microfiber bonnet!”
God only knows how many times I would argue in the early days on the WWW with John Guerkink using the poopy fingers analogy to make my point on why hot water extraction is better than pad cleaning..

(don’t worry, I still wash my hands after going potty)

Now in the new age of multi method cleaning professionals, when it comes to carpet cleaning, the microfiber bonnets and the new wave of machines that spin, jiggle and wiggle them, I have dramatically changed my outlook on how I, and a whole slew of old HWE diehards, clean carpeting these days.

A few of you will remember when the low moisture guys on the forums would post pics of a 3 foot stack of filthy (100%) cotton pads on the doorstep of a home or business in much the same way as Hot Water guys show the filthy water draining out of their waste tanks. It was a badge of honor to show off how much soil was removed by bragging about how many pads you used on that one job. The thing was back in those days, those pads would load up with gunk in just a few twirls on a visibly soiled carpet. In as little as a square yard the cotton was no longer able to hold any more soil, especially when you consider that you had to essentially cover up 50% of the pad with a thin plastic disc of sorts in order to enable you to move the “wheels up” rattle trap of a jackhammer machine back then…

Just like a whole generation of HWE guys who have never cleaned without a Teflon glide on their wands, this new generation of cleaners have never experienced the joy of using the old machines that numbed your hands in no time and would only move TO THE LEFT! (If you wanted to go right you had to face the other direction…)

I tried to adapt on four or five occasions to that style of cleaning over the years when different manufactures would give me machines to test, I could never last more than a room or two…

The Cimex played a big part in my company for 15 years or more because it was so easy to use, and the dirt stayed hidden for so long. My techs and I happily hoped and prayed that the encapsulated soil would vacuum away in the proceeding weeks as we sunk the soil deeper and deeper with every visit.

But deep down, we knew it didn’t.

View attachment 114457
It feels like it was much longer ago, but it was just 2019 at a Mikey’s Fest in Las Vegas, that the fine folks at TOPS awarded me with a shiny new wheels down OP machine as a thank you for what I do for the RMHC. You can watch my progression of adapting to this newish way of extracting soil from carpet with these magical highly absorbent pads on my You Tube channel and my online forum.

The ”Bucket Test” is what really converted me, and I suggest you take the test as well. Go clean 500 SF of dirty carpet and put the blue microfiber pad in a 5 gallon buck of hot water, and let it sit for a few minutes, then stir the water with a pole and watch that water turn as dark and nasty as what comes out of your truckmount’s waste tank…

If you don’t understand after that display of gravity defying logic, than perhaps you might want to consider a career change to window or rain gutter washing.
Better yet, go visit that job a month later and let your mind soak in how great the carpet STILL LOOKS.
No wicking, no dirty dish rag stench for weeks after cleaning, far less resoiling…

With emission restrictions coming soon to our gasoline powered extractors and the vehicles that carry them, VLM will need be a much bigger part of your cleaning toolbox, whether you like it or not.

And yes, I still steam clean most residential carpet, albeit with a cheap Chinese $200 wand these days but that’s a story for another day.
I would use the cotton pads personally, the microfiber is hard on my butt.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
$12 a foot or more

fo-reel???
Gutters in Sutter's Trail HOA different out there?
new seamless gutters, all new downs, elbows and hangers are currently* going for $12 ft installed here.

*pre-Vid $6-8 ft was the going rate to get new

..L.T.A.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
fo-reel???
Gutters in Sutter's Trail HOA different out there?
new seamless gutters, all new downs, elbows and hangers are currently* going for $12 ft installed here.

*pre-Vid $6-8 ft was the going rate to get new

..L.T.A.
Prep, Installation and materials combine is $20 plus, more like $30. Prices goes up if it's 2nd story or more. The cleaning is about 12 bucks a foot, if youre cheap, maybe 7 bucks....when ya gotta purge all that junk out, It gets real bad.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Prep, Installation and materials combine is $20 plus, more like $30. Prices goes up if it's 2nd story or more. The cleaning is about 12 bucks a foot, if youre cheap, maybe 7 bucks....when ya gotta purge all that junk out, It gets real bad.

must be something different about the mexicuns in Glitter Gulch

I've spec'd over 1000ft of gutters in the last few months as part of projects.
General contractors bid quotes come in around $12.
and the GC subs it out to the fulltime gutter guys with gutter roll press trucks
Which means they're doing it for $10ft or so

but if you've actually found peeps to pay $12ft to bleach gutters, rock-on.

..L.T.A.

Name
Jeff T
Sorry Derrick, windows, gutters, and pressure washing SUCKS.

I’ve done them all for money, and there’s WAY more money in interior flooring, floor coverings, and upholstery…

Reactions: Mikey P

sassyotto

Name
Paul
After spending several hours de winterizing my Judson TNT trailer mount, I have about decided it is easier to use the Odessey and Proteam. Proteam first of course!
now theres a good reason to use it! Cause its easier dang nab it.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Sorry Derrick, windows, gutters, and pressure washing SUCKS.

I’ve done them all for money, and there’s WAY more money in interior flooring, floor coverings, and upholstery…
I know it sucks that's why I don't do em anymore... however, I disagree with with floor care as to making more money than windows cleaning, gutters and pressure washing...I'd say the take home pay on avg is the same regardless of gross.

Name
Jeff T
I know it sucks that's why I don't do em anymore... however, I disagree with with floor care as to making more money than windows cleaning, gutters and pressure washing...I'd say the take home pay on avg is the same regardless of gross.
WRONG.

I make anywhere from 150-600$ an hour IN the home.

The best I could do was 150-175$ an hr outside.

Maybe I was marketing wrong, or maybe charging to little.

Case in point.

My first contract tomorrow morning, booked between 8-10, is returning 2600$ worth of shop cleaned rugs.

Could I make 2600$ at my leisure doing exterior work?

NO.

But a DAMN fine way to start a new week on a Monday?
Wouldn’t you say?

Ive also got another 1K - 1500 worth of work booked behind it…
I should hit almost 4K tomorrow.

How many miles of gutters do you have to do to make 4K???

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I dunno about that, you are talking about gross earnings. It sounds like you make more than the avg carpet cleaner, way more. I bet I can find your equivalents in the fields that we are discussing. I do know this, being a carpet cleaner is way more expensive than being a gutter cleaner or window cleaner.

Name
Jeff T
I dunno about that, you are talking about gross earnings. It sounds like you make more than the avg carpet cleaner, way more. I bet I can find your equivalents in the fields that we are discussing. I do know this, being a carpet cleaner is way more expensive than being a gutter cleaner or window cleaner.
I know an English window guy that does VERY WELL.
I see him an his team on a lot of high end contracts.
The dude and his wife take 6 months off every year,
So yeah, there’s money in every trade…

They just got back from a trip back home to England.

They spent 4 months there, and spent the other 2 travelling tropical destinations.

I don’t know how he does it, but I want to…

I need to generate money every month.

Reactions: Mikey P and DAT

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I don’t know how he does it, but I want to…

I need to generate money every month.
I just finished reading E myth why small business don't succeed...I figure it has to do with being insistent on being a technician rather getting off truck. This biz is way to hard to get off the truck. You want freedom, might have to consider starting a new biz where you are just the CEO..

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I was just about to say the same thing. The best way to succeed in window cleaning is to do ONLY windows, with maybe $5k in equipment and a simple pickup truck or small transit van in which the business model is set up with only window cleaning equipment and cheap chemicals.

Several carpet cleaning companies add windows just to stay busy and don't realize they're losing profit because they have their business model set up for carpet cleaning, which is more expensive.

I dropped windows as soon as my carpet cleaning customers kept me busy and my profit margin increased.

Reactions: DAT and Mikey P

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
And if I got back in to window cleaning, I would do only commercial/monthly accounts, not residential. Doing people's homes made me hate cleaning windows. These rich ass people would have these windows in a house on a cliff, or would have impossible ancient storm windows or worse, tiny square panes that would take forever, and you have to dance around their museum of shit inside their home worrying you'll get water on their 300 year old lamp or stupid doll

Can you tell Igrew to hating windows?

Reactions: DAT

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Butthole surfers now that is good music.
I dance in my garage listening to that while smoking a cheap swisher sweet.

MUCH BETTER THAT THAT SCREAMING LESBIAN GRETA VAN FLEET! DON'T EVER PLAY THAT AGAIN MIKEY OR YOU WILL........DIE!

Mikey P

Administrator
Butthole surfers now that is good music.
I dance in my garage listening to that while smoking a cheap swisher sweet.

MUCH BETTER THAT THAT SCREAMING LESBIAN GRETA VAN FLEET! DON'T EVER PLAY THAT AGAIN MIKEY OR YOU WILL........DIE!
Multi method cleaner and music fan

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
And if I got back in to window cleaning, I would do only commercial/monthly accounts, not residential. Doing people's homes made me hate cleaning windows. These rich ass people would have these windows in a house on a cliff, or would have impossible ancient storm windows or worse, tiny square panes that would take forever, and you have to dance around their museum of shit inside their home worrying you'll get water on their 300 year old lamp or stupid doll

And as you know, that’s my sentiments about residential carpet cleaning! Also, I’m on the truck, off the truck. On the truck, off the truck. Makes my head spin.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Hack Attack

Name
Dan

have you considered wearing a crash helmet when you shower?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom