Whats going on out there?

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
Seeing lots of used carpet cleaning equipment for sale Janitorial as well.

Things that bad or just super slow or cleaners upgrading¿

Whats going in at there¿

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
In my region, I see the following:

1. Cleaners are aging out of the business, but having nothing to sell in the way of a business, are just liquidating assets and hanging up their wands.

2. Distributors, myself included, are less interested in taking machines in trade, so when a new unit is needed, the old one needs to be sold direct.

3.The growth of demand for cleaning rugs in plant is exceeding on location carpet cleaning in some markets, and cleaners are shrinking their fleets and putting the money into in plant locations and equipment.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Mikey P

Administrator

I'm blessed... PXL_20241025_221425575~2.jpgPXL_20241025_205116635~2.jpgPXL_20241025_220438072~2.jpgPXL_20241025_203845706~2.jpgPXL_20241025_203613789.PANO~2.jpgPXL_20241025_195748369~2.jpgPXL_20241025_203121856~2.jpgPXL_20241025_202418431~2.jpg PXL_20241025_221146734~2.jpg PXL_20241025_220611640~2.jpg PXL_20241025_214818100~2.jpg

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
In my region, I see the following:

1. Cleaners are aging out of the business, but having nothing to sell in the way of a business, are just liquidating assets and hanging up their wands.

2. Distributors, myself included, are less interested in taking machines in trade, so when a new unit is needed, the old one needs to be sold direct.

3.The growth of demand for cleaning rugs in plant is exceeding on location carpet cleaning in some markets, and cleaners are shrinking their fleets and putting the money into in plant locations and equipment.
There’s a 4. that’s shoved under the rug most times…

4. As you putt putt along and become seasoned, one discovers you don’t need much and don’t need hyped junk that depreciates worst then a car. The marketed latest and greatest that came along and you bought…is piling up in the basement. Now being sold for pennies on the hard earned dollars once spent.

Save your bucks boys….think twice before falling head first into hype….invest in your future…not someone’s else. Some tools are an absolute comfort, faster and necessary upgrade. Most, not all, are a waste.

5. Flooring phases. From carpets are wonderful to now engineered wood is fantastic. Throw a rug on it and you have the best of both.

6. Spending customers of yesterday is shrinking…what’s left are millennial DoorDash chiselers….most are broke. Credit card, car loans are choking and sucking the life out of many. Add to this inflation.

Solomon said it best…It’s all bullship

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
There’s a 4. that’s shoved under the rug most times…

4. As you putt putt along and become seasoned, one discovers you don’t need much and don’t need hyped junk that depreciates worst then a car. The marketed latest and greatest that came along and you bought…is piling up in the basement. Now being sold for pennies on the hard earned dollars once spent.

Save your bucks boys….think twice before falling head first into hype….invest in your future…not someone’s else. Some tools are an absolute comfort, faster and necessary upgrade. Most, not all, are a waste.

5. Flooring phases. From carpets are wonderful to now engineered wood is fantastic. Throw a rug on it and you have the best of both.

6. Spending customers of yesterday is shrinking…what’s left are millennial DoorDash chiselers….most are broke. Credit card, car loans are choking and sucking the life out of many. Add to this inflation.

Solomon said it best…It’s all bullship

I'm with you on 4 for a certainty.

#5 has propelled our industry into becoming "cleaning services" and no longer "carpet and upholstery cleaners". When my father was in the first decade of his business in the 60s, he cleaned hardwood floors, area rugs, upholstery, washed walls, and as the decade progressed, wall to wall carpet cleaning.

He bought his first hot water extractor when I was 9, and is first truck mount when I was 14. Both were because of the widespread use of synthetic fiber, wall to wall carpet. Had that era been like ours now, I'm not sure he'd have ever bought a truck mount, or perhaps even a portable.

Interesting point:

Wall to wall carpet is coming back

You'd be surprised how much of it is wool, and how many carpet cleaners with no past experience now call me and say: "I just presprayed this carpet, and it stinks....WTH is going on?"

Reactions: Mikey P

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson

#5 has propelled our industry into becoming "cleaning services" and no longer "carpet and upholstery cleaners". When my father was in the first decade of his business in the 60s, he cleaned hardwood floors, area rugs, upholstery, washed walls, and as the decade progressed, wall to wall carpet cleaning.

He bought his first hot water extractor when I was 9, and is first truck mount when I was 14. Both were because of the widespread use of synthetic fiber, wall to wall carpet. Had that era been like ours now, I'm not sure he'd have ever bought a truck mount, or perhaps even a portable.

Interesting point:

You'd be surprised how much of it is wool, and how many carpet cleaners with no past experience now call me and say: "I just presprayed this carpet, and it stinks....WTH is going on?"
Carpets are coming back…I hope so.
The problem with carpets is keeping them clean. Most people are good with hiring to clean them. After a while, they get sick of spending money to maintain compounded by inflation by the dumb azz political system that keeps adding to the ever shrinking wallet.

Much appreciate your uplift…..was about to jump of the curb in front of my home but now I feel better.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I just got a call this morning asking me to pick up and clean a 12x12 wool rug. Customer is a retired chief justice of Alabama Supreme Court. Rug is supposedly worth “thousands of dollars”. I get calls like this once every couple of years. Frankly, I don’t want to deal with it, but I’d love to do it if I had the proper place and equipment and if I understood how to market it in this modern world. It’s probably an “opportunity” I’m going to miss.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I just got a call this morning asking me to pick up and clean a 12x12 wool rug. Customer is a retired chief justice of Alabama Supreme Court. Rug is supposedly worth “thousands of dollars”. I get calls like this once every couple of years. Frankly, I don’t want to deal with it, but I’d love to do it if I had the proper place and equipment and if I understood how to market it in this modern world. It’s probably an “opportunity” I’m going to miss.

It doesn't have to be as difficult as you might think.

Let's talk about it next week

Reactions: hogjowl

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Much as I'd love to visit your fair state, a phone call will have to do.

I'm good till noon today if you like.

jeffexe

Name
jeff

Interesting point:

It separates the men from the boys. Just like anyone can be a father but not everyone can be a dad, this holds true. Anyone can be a carpet cleaner, but not everyone can clean carpets. Showmanship, education, knowledge and dedication are mandatory for continued success through the ups and downs of a career in Carpet cleaning. I only clean carpets. Its my passion and my specialty. But, I am not complacent. I am constantly selling, learning and researching the industry.

Reactions: icleancarpetz

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
Dude pickup is a ball buster.
Easier than you think onsite.
However inspection is critical as you already know this first step.

Go see it. Take photos. Never know….judges usually hang with like feather$.
“Let me see what I can do for you Mr Judge….ive got a full month so let me see how I can squeeze you in…First allow me to make a few phones calls to see how I can move a few appts around for you…I’ll get back to after a few phones calls if that’s ok with you Mr Judge)

While he’s waiting…you quickly do zoom and consult with safari Jim P.

(Why do I feel like I’m wasting my carbon footprint on this?)

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'll take it. I charge $5 per sqft. I finally just got all the rugs out of my shop. Without automated equipment cleaning rugs suck, but it pays good.

come visit me Marty. We can clean some rugs and have a pizza party.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleanworks
Back
Top Bottom