Whats more important with T&G, lift or cfm?

Cody G

Name
Cody Gibson
I am still trying to decide on a portable unit. Whichis more important when cleaning T&G, lift or cfm. One unit is 175 lift and 123 cfm, is this adequate? What do you think the minimums are?

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Both. My portable does a great job with tile wand. CFM will help the lift do better...

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
cfm, because with a tile wand while using a brush, it's never locking down on the floor. You need as much cfm as possible to get the most air moving through the brush. And with a spinner, the vacuum release on the head of it opens up very easily, not allowing it to lock down either. So allot of air is moving through it as well. If it's not locking down on the floor like a carpet wand is on carpet, cfm is more important than lift.

But it's good to get the most of both for all types of cleaning

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I am still trying to decide on a portable unit. Whichis more important when cleaning T&G, lift or cfm. One unit is 175 lift and 123 cfm, is this adequate? What do you think the minimums are?

It is always important to note the balance of the two.

How much T&G do you plan on doing?

Is this going to be your main porty?

Most 120opsi porty units are not always ideal for daily carpet use.

Cody G

Name
Cody Gibson
It will be my only unit. I am getting into the business because I saw the need for commercial T&G cleaning in my area. The whole idea started because I saw how filthy the bathrooms are. As I began to research portable units I acquired as many queations as I found answers, thus the necessity and appreciation for this forum. The more I looked into it the more interested I got in carpet cleaning. As I stated in a previous post I am looking at the Goliath from Steam Brite and the Nautilus. The Goliath has a lot more of both cfm and lift but no internal supply tank and I would be using an external pressure pump. I feel it may be a negative not having a supply tank and maybe even using an external pump but I am aware that truck mounts dont have them inside the building either but I still wonder.
The Nautilus allows you to switch between higher cfm and lift but it only has 1200 psi and even with the respones from this forum saying 1200 will always work I am still stuck on 1500 psi. A couple of more responses saying 1200 psi will always work will put me in my place and give me the confidence I need.
Thanks for your response.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
It will be my only unit. I am getting into the business because I saw the need for commercial T&G cleaning in my area. The whole idea started because I saw how filthy the bathrooms are. As I began to research portable units I acquired as many queations as I found answers, thus the necessity and appreciation for this forum. The more I looked into it the more interested I got in carpet cleaning. As I stated in a previous post I am looking at the Goliath from Steam Brite and the Nautilus. The Goliath has a lot more of both cfm and lift but no internal supply tank and I would be using an external pressure pump. I feel it may be a negative not having a supply tank and maybe even using an external pump but I am aware that truck mounts dont have them inside the building either but I still wonder.
The Nautilus allows you to switch between higher cfm and lift but it only has 1200 psi and even with the respones from this forum saying 1200 will always work I am still stuck on 1500 psi. A couple of more responses saying 1200 psi will always work will put me in my place and give me the confidence I need.
Thanks for your response.

1200 psi is as high as you can go on a portable.

Chemistry and agitation will be your best friend, and makes T&G possible even without 1200 psi.

Even though you think you see a demand for T&G, there will always be a bigger demand for carpet, rugs, and upholstery, which can be a pain in the ass with a HEAVY 1200 psi unit.

Most porty operators bread'n'butta unit should be geared for carpets and other more popular services which will always be generating the most income.

Although you see the need, don't count on doing too much T&G to begin with.

It's often less than most think it will be.

1200 psi units are HEAVY, with mediocre vacuum, and susceptible to blowing circuit breakers.

Consider a 500psi adjustable unit, and a 175 rotary for scrubbing T&G.

Cleaning this Steakhouse last night was only possible because of a 175 rotary and the right chemistry.......................

imgcache0.5031218.jpg

Best of both worlds as a 175 rotary will always be your best friend whether T&G or carpet.

Cody G

Name
Cody Gibson
Thanks for the helpful info.
I have been a chimney sweep for 38 years and have multiple sources of info, help and comerodity, it's been interesting going into a different service business and having to learn all new information.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Thanks for the helpful info.
I have been a chimney sweep for 38 years and have multiple sources of info, help and comerodity, it's been interesting going into a different service business and having to learn all new information.

You have a big advantage already being familiar with the service industry and dealing with customers.

That's half the battle.

Start thinking more carpet and upholstery to begin with.

No matter how you cut it, it will be the bulk of your work unless you want to do ONLY commercial T&G.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You probably need 2 machines. 1200 psi portable with supply tank for t&g. 500 psi with 2-3 stage vacuums for carpet. Not all 3 stage vacuums are the same. You want the high amperage models for best performance. 13.5 amps. You can also check out machine with 6.6 or 8.4 vac motors like the nautilus.

Cody G

Name
Cody Gibson
Im still leaning towards one of the Goliath units. They dont weigh much, have great lift and cfm. The only potential negative is they dont have a solution tank, they are auto fill with no storage. If there is a situation where I cant hook to a faucet I wont be able to use it.
I may have to make an external tank set up if that happens. I dont know how often that would happen, cant imagine too often.

Cody G

Name
Cody Gibson
If I get the Goliath flood extractor than I would get a Water Otter or equivalent. It would give me from 200 psi to 1200.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom