What's more important?

Mikey P

Administrator
Being great on the phone to book your own jobs or simply just answering the phone on the first or second ring?

I asked David riddell yesterday when he was going to hire someone to answer his phones then he said never I'm not giving that up but just how many jobs has he not getting because as loud ass 870 won't allow him to hear the phone ringing or he's right in the middle of something and he think so what they'll call back, or they'll wait for me to return a message,.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Probably great on the phone. ??? If you are a great communicator, that can be powerful. I don't necessarily mean a great salesperson, but someone that is able to convey an answer in an easily, understandable manor.

I don't like being rushed or them overwhelming ne with technical jaron that means nothing to me.

Ever go to Best Buy for a TV, PC or Camera. I don't like to buy from them, I feel as though they talk down to me and are condescending. Maybe it's just me. ???

I appreciate it when a representative can explain a product or services in terms I can understand. Showing that they care I understand, not just that they know what they are talking about.

SHUT UP MARTY!

• Haha
Reactions: hogjowl

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
What about all the 50 questions customers insist on asking. It just goes on and on. Who wants to stop doing what you’re doing and answer all those questions while your in a house or building.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Just having someone answer your phone promptly, in a friendly, courteous manner goes a long way. Even if they can't answer all of the customers questions, they can tell them that they will have a tech call them back. Letting the customer the price, the method and availability is the most important. Anything else can wait.

Name
Jeff T
My business increased almost 400% when I put my wife on the phones.
Today alone she booked 9 jobs...
I wouldn’t even had the energy after working all weekend.
People seem to love her ‘on phone’ persona....
Let’s see if she can pull a rabbit out of her hat, and do the same for my next venture....

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
wish my wife wanted too answer the phone. She hardly answers her cell, we would definitely lose a lot of calls!

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I don't miss calls. I have a headset. Now I throw the wand at my helper and book the jobs that come in. Ever since I let my last girl go, my bookings have increased. I believe it's because I rarely let any calls go to Voicemail.

Maybe when I have 5 trucks and a fully operational rug plant I'll get a round-mound-of-sound to answer the phones.

Name
Jeff T
Answering on the 2nd or 3rd ring is my rule....
That, and a very pleasant demeanour.
Most of our clients are women, aged 30-80.
People want to talk about their cleaning problems, themselves, and any other shyte they want to discuss...
You NEED SOMEONE WHO IS EMPATHETIC TO THEM, THEIR ISSUES, AND IDIOSYNCRASIES....

Do that, and you’ve won half the battle....

The other half is the cleaning....

DO YOUR JOB PROPERLY, AND PROFESSIONALLY, AND YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL...

Oh, and a winning personality,

AND MINTY FRESH BREATH....

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I used to answer them in the beginning.

Got way too busy to do that.

My wife has been answering for years now... And babysitting 4 Grandbabies...

Recently hired the daughter (Aron's wife) to answer phones and babysit her kids... My wife and her split the duties now.

Jena was a lead tech with us so she knows.

Now I just answer phone calls from carpet cleaners all day 🙄

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I think that once you reach a point where you are doing mostly repeats and referrals you can let it go to voicemail and not lose much. Those callers want YOU. I used to break my neck to answer the phone every time it rang. Now if I am working I just call them back when I can take the time to carefully listen to what they have to say and not sound hurried to get off the phone. Sure, I lose a few price shoppers who have called 10 different companies, but I don't lose any sleep over it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I remember in Atlanta you couldn't even order or eat dinner. One call after another, and you didn't even offer chems then. Now, I bet you are always on the phone. Glad its working for you, you've paid your dues!

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Of course it's best to answer but if you have a professional sounding voicemail that promises a call back the same day (and deliver on that promise) you will lose very few.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Of course it's best to answer but if you have a professional sounding voicemail that promises a call back the same day (and deliver on that promise) you will lose very few.
Follow through is king. Just like showing up for your appointments. It’s unbelievable how many calls I get because other carpet cleaners don’t bother to show up. I don’t know how they stay in business.

Last edited:

steve_64

Most of my calls go to voicemail.

I lose some but have also got them back the next year.

But I would like to have someone answering the phone for me.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I really don’t get complaints like that often. She’s just one of those needy women who want you to hold their hand over the phone and have a reassuring conversation. When I’m in the middle of cleaning, all I want is their address and appointment time.

Reactions: Nomad74

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I really don’t get complaints like that often. She’s just one of those needy women who want you to hold their hand over the phone and have a reassuring conversation. When I’m in the middle of cleaning, all I want is their address and appointment time.
Which is why you should have someone else answering your phone's. I'm guilty of the same thing at times. It's hard to have patience with a needy customer when your hands are full.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom