What's needed to get into WDR

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
A CC friend from a few towns away gave me his old training manual to familiarize myself with all things water damage. Aside from training, certification... what would be the top 10 things a beginner should consider purchasing to have a respectable package of equipment to handle your basic water job? And once I have those things I can add more items with time to round out my stable of equipment.

I can't buy new so I'll have to buy new to me, probably off Ebay or Craigslist which I'm not really comfortable with but I'll have to get over it and deal.. If possbile manufacturer, product/model and reason why you're recommending a particular product compared to another competing product.. ie: works as good but cost less, easier to operate than the other, manufactured better etc..

Thanks for your insights, opinions and help.
Bill Morgan

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
General Stuff -

CPL insurance

penetrating(insulated and non-insulated) meters
non-penetrating meters

Meter Brands - Delmhorst, SurveyMaster, Extech, ect.

^^^ Look at the "technicians kits", I think Superior Cleaning sells them, you may be able to find odds and ends meters, but I would just go buy a set and be done with it. Old meters have their issues, calibrations, faulty pins, ect.

LGR Dehus - Dri Eaz
Centrifugal Air Movers - Dri-Eaz
Axial Air Movers - I like Mytee's

Check with your state, you may be required to carry a pesticide license to apply antimicrobial agents (We are here in Utah)
Be sure to get your Hepatitis series shots, as well as Tetanus.

You can do a small water loss with a dehu, and 10 fans, and the right meters. That probably costing you around 2-3k for used. All new stuff 5-6k.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Thanks Steve,

What size dehumidifier should I look at starting with for small jobs? I've seen auctions for Dri eaze 1200's on Ebay but they have 4-5k hours on them starting bids for $1200-1400?..

Is that when WDR guys dump equipment because of mechanical issues that are waiting around the corner? Seems like a lot of money for equipment that won't last too much longer? Or am I wrong? Are the parts expensive to repair/replace?

Thanks,
Bill

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Because you are in Maine I would get LGR Dehus. They work allot better at lower Temps. I would get the best inspection tools you can find before you get equipment. You can rent the equipment but you need to know what areas are wet before you take a job and you need to monitor the drying.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
ACE said:
Because you are in Maine I would get LGR Dehus. They work allot better at lower Temps.
Hmm, note to self... Maine is cold.. good to know. :p

ACE said:
I would get the best inspection tools you can find before you get equipment.
makes sense.. any suggestions beyond what Steve said? I've got an anchient HydroSensor with a short barrel of 20-22 inches or so, but it works. I'll have to look around for sales on other non penetrating type devices and stuff.

ACE said:
You can rent the equipment
Didn't know that.. I'll have to look into that. Maybe my friend will rent some of his equipment to me or help mentor me more that just giving me a book to read.

Thanks for the help Ace.. I appreciate it!
Bill

Here is my question. How do you approach phone calls from customers with a water damage? The ones I get calling me are basically saying how much just to suck the water up. We can't spend more than a hundred dollars. I don't do very much wdr work. Do you just ask for the insurance company and deal with them? I am clueless on this subject.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom