What's the real skinny on HOST

mikepo

This is a general question for the CCing masses:

I've done a number of jobs where I've come in behind a HOST job and wondered why the "carpet fresh" approach is so loved - Are HOST just good at selling the sizzle?

The issue is soil suspension - You have 4 levers to pull (this according to the IICRC & CRI):

chemical action
heat
agitation
time

how does HOST work? can it remove a film? FOG (Fat,Oil,Grease) is a predominant film we all must clean so all four actions are needed to effectively remove it. Finally, HOST claims to reduce dust mites and allergens. How do they do this when heat and chemical action are not in play?

Thanks in advance to all who reply. I'm just looking to understand and add knowledge to my business. If you can convert me to HOST then I'm all ears but at first blush it seems like a lot of sizzle that goes against all that I've been taught about carpet cleaning

Regards,

Mike

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Host is a tool just like anything else..

The host process can attack the fat oils and greases but only after a preconditioner step. Think of it like microbonneting. The problem is most Host only companies hardly ever get all of the product back out of the carpet, they aren't willing to try other solvents to correct spots besides their only prespray, and they don't spend nearly enought time in the agitation step to properly get the host product to work.

There are some situationas where Host works better than other methods such as certain natural cellulosic carpets and rugs. Or even some older tufted carpets that can't get wet. And this is still a safer method for a homeowner, or in house carpet cleaning staff to use than letting them use bonnets cleaning, shampoo, or in home extractors. I'd rather follow a hose cleaner any day. A little more time vacuuming, but a lot less time dealing with too much soap residue, foam, or carpet damge.

w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx9LXD5Hp7ow]

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
While all cleaning chemistry works best when following TACT remember that when missing one piece is missing (temp) then you need to make up with another component usually agitation for all other methods.

All cleaning methods use a detergent (and Host in no exception) and they nomally contain solvents, water, detergents. They are delivered by different media, water, absorbent/adsorbent compounds, foam, and shampoos.

The most important part of any cleaning method is the technician using it.

Bill Yeadon
www.strategiesforsuccess.com

mikepo

Thanks guys ...

Sweendogg - Am I smoking dope but do is the HOST video fudged? The "cleaned" area as the tech is pulling off the tape looks nothing like the "bright" after shot. - Looks like smoke and mirrors.

Also your comment about pre-spray and the lack of thorough removal explains my customer comments about the carpets re-soiling so quickly after HOST cleaning.

billyeadon - absolutely right on the TACT. On pre-spray I know I've got time, temp, and concentration that I can manipulate. Hike up the temp and I can cut my dwell time.

Thanks again gents - you've class

Mike

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I've tried that demo and it does work... but I also have advantage of using a rug badger to see how much of that powder is left after I'm done vacuuming. If these people knew how much was left behind when they were done cleaning and "extracting" they would have to be charging double just to spend the time to vacuum it out properly.. of course the same argument could be made about encapsulation and post vacuuming.. I guess. Although the polymer encap technolgy actuelly does prevent resoiling.

Ron K

If it's "so loved" why are you coming in behind that cleaning???

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I have one of the Host test carpets, just like that one.
Axminster and VERY easy to clean with any method.
That being said, the Host system is another tool on the belt. I've used it as a stand alone, but it's slow and you can fill a lot of vacuum bags. I have a Liberator with a vacuum, but I find using the Sebo after gets the sponge out better. The machines make great scrubbers for crapped out carpets and I've used it for encap.

mikepo

What started as a question has finally motivated me to add a Rug Badger to my tool set. ;-)

I still have a problem with additive processes rather than subtractive ones (expect for my bank account or a woman's chest) I encap and colloidal clean. The later works well at the right concentration and elevated temp and any residual micelles bio degrade.

Thx for replying

mikepo

Kevin1 - YES I DO KNOW HOW THE RB WORKS. Thanks for making sure .

I had a job just a couple of days where the homeowner threw in ~450 sq ft of rugs and know I could have removed more dirt if I had a badger, brought the rugs back to the shop and taken my time and charged more showing the dirt I had beat out of it. I got one competitor specializing in rugs and I'd like to eat into his customer base.:-)

mikepo

Ron - Nice videos on your website.

People may ding you on your clean times but you are a CCer that cares about doing the right thing.

Good work

Mike

Jose Smith

I would argue that it takes twice as long to vacuum as it does to clean, so a 1 hour job turns into a 3 hour job.

I love HOST. The cleaning results are outstanding! But that vacuuming up after takes SOOOOOOOOOO long. Therefore, it remains in my arsenal, but this 5 gallon pail I have of it will be with me for a long time. In other words, it rarely gets used, other than on spots on sisal/seagrass/hemp/jute.

Jose Smith

randy

Name
Randy
The brush n clean or Onyx machine is a better choice. Basically a Whittiker (made in the same factory) but it has collection bins the catch all the compound when it's time to vacuum. Literally you don't need to vacuum, the machine will do it all for you. That being said I owned 3 host units at one time and they are very dependable units.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Randy try going back over an area with a quality canister vacuum making a slow stroke and you can see just how much is left behind in carpet even after a rennovator trays.

randy

Name
Randy
sweendogg said:
Randy try going back over an area with a quality canister vacuum making a slow stroke and you can see just how much is left behind in carpet even after a rennovator trays.

Depends on what type of carpet you are cleaning. These types of machines were designed for commercial glued down carpet.
If this system is being used in a residential setting, definitely vacuum. Better yet get a better system for residential. Applying a compound, power or anything of that nature in a residential setting is really a bad idea.

It's just like any other method, it has it's place but then manufacturers or suppliers start overselling it. Cleaners start overusing it or misusing it, and the next thing you know we have another industry mess that no vacuum will suck up.

Encapsulation & the op method are perfect examples.

Name
Nate W.
randy said:
sweendogg said:

Depends on what type of carpet you are cleaning. These types of machines were designed for commercial glued down carpet.
If this system is being used in a residential setting, definitely vacuum. Better yet get a better system for residential. Applying a compound, power or anything of that nature in a residential setting is really a bad idea.

It's just like any other method, it has it's place but then manufacturers or suppliers start overselling it. Cleaners start overusing it or misusing it, and the next thing you know we have another industry mess that no vacuum will suck up.

Encapsulation & the op method are perfect examples.

Well said...!

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
randy said:
sweendogg said:

If this system is being used in a residential setting, definitely vacuum. Better yet get a better system for residential. Applying a compound, power or anything of that nature in a residential setting is really a bad idea. Not always as you point out, its a tool, and as I said earlier in the post there are times when these methods are safer than other methods. Even on direct glude commercial, I've seen renovator trays leave a ton of compound behind.

Encapsulation & the op method are perfect examples. There is nothing wrong with encap or bonnet cleaning using the right cleaning solutions. Your choice words of use correctly applies to any method. Like Bill said Above, its all about the technician and how they use the method.

randy

Name
Randy
If your trays aren't picking up the compound on a commercial glue down either you are moving too fast or the bottom of your machine is clogged. Most people don't clean out the crud under the unit often enough because the hassle of taking off the brushes. I have a couple of accounts that mandate the "Host" method and we never have any problem using the machine to pick up the dried compound. It works great as long as the machines have been cleaned and maintained.

I have nothing against encap cleaning by the way, 80% of our work is commercial encap cleaning, the point I was making is it has been oversold within our industry and misused. Bio-hazardous waste for example should always be extracted.

It's pretty hard to overuse hot water extraction. Sure there are guys out there that screw it up but any carpet can be extracted. Encapping or oping vomit, human or animal waste , or blood is just plain crazy and unfortunately there are people advocating that and doing it.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
randy said:
If your trays aren't picking up the compound on a commercial glue down either you are moving too fast or the bottom of your machine is clogged. Most people don't clean out the crud under the unit often enough because the hassle of taking off the brushes. I have a couple of accounts that mandate the "Host" method and we never have any problem using the machine to pick up the dried compound. It works great as long as the machines have been cleaned and maintained.

I have nothing against encap cleaning by the way, 80% of our work is commercial encap cleaning, the point I was making is it has been oversold within our industry and misused. Bio-hazardous waste for example should always be extracted.

It's pretty hard to overuse hot water extraction. Sure there are guys out there that screw it up but any carpet can be extracted. Encapping or oping vomit, human or animal waste , or blood is just plain crazy and unfortunately there are people advocating that and doing it.

Now that you have clarified your post... I agree 100% :mrgreen:

randy

Name
Randy
juniorc82 said:
Ive heard that the host sponges are good as a spotter .

I have used them as a "quick spot clean" more than once. In a commercial building you can use it very well to maintain appearance in between major cleaning. I still like to wheel the machine around with me when doing that, but you could use a larger spotting brush.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom