What's Your Backup Plan?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
For you single truck operators, what do you do if you "sick out"? For over three long weeks, I've been wrastling with these sinus problems. 2 weeks ago, an antibiotic for 10 days, all while out there hitting the rentals, which is good because you can hawker all you want, right into the hose. But in and out of warm rentals, into cold ass weather, doesn't contribute to fast healing (not to mention the sweating). Was feeling better for a few days and Bam! back into the sinus infection and constant draining. Hit up the Dr again yesterday, and he says the antibiotic didn't quite get it all. So, back on another antibiotic, took first one last night, and by 1:00am, was in the emergency room because my throat was closing up. Extreme cotton mouth, MRI, xray, IV. A shot of prednezone helped ease the swelling, and a new antibiotic ordered. Now, the main thought was Pneumonia, or walking pneumonia, and of course, are they going to keep me a few days?
Your business and customers are on your mind, which makes it even worse.

You have someone to cover for you? I'm down to single owner/operator with occasional help. I've been able to shuffle my custys around, but it catches up eventually. Fortunately, it's slow time in NE Ohio for me, but Easter cleanings are coming up fast.

wilpath

sorry to hear, you raise a good point to consider, p.s work on strengthening your immune system

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
For you single truck operators, what do you do if you "sick out"? For over three long weeks, I've been wrastling with these sinus problems. 2 weeks ago, an antibiotic for 10 days, all while out there hitting the rentals, which is good because you can hawker all you want, right into the hose. But in and out of warm rentals, into cold ass weather, doesn't contribute to fast healing (not to mention the sweating). Was feeling better for a few days and Bam! back into the sinus infection and constant draining. Hit up the Dr again yesterday, and he says the antibiotic didn't quite get it all. So, back on another antibiotic, took first one last night, and by 1:00am, was in the emergency room because my throat was closing up. Extreme cotton mouth, MRI, xray, IV. A shot of prednezone helped ease the swelling, and a new antibiotic ordered. Now, the main thought was Pneumonia, or walking pneumonia, and of course, are they going to keep me a few days?

You have someone to cover for you? I'm down to single owner/operator with occasional help. I've been able to shuffle my custys around, but it catches up eventually. Fortunately, it's slow time in NE Ohio for me, but Easter cleanings are coming up fast.
Man, that sucks. I've been there, stretching a carpet with a power stretcher, flat on my back and couldn't get up because I was working with pneumonia. I had to go to the hospital. That led to my one and only bad Yelp! review. Oh well.

Hope you feel better.

Reactions: rwcarpet

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Get better first and once well you'll make up for it, here and there. You can also plan for the next illness. Either with existing help or network with another cleaner, covering his possible illnesses.

Reactions: roro and Fat Mike

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Get better first and once well you'll make up for it, here and there. You can also plan for the next illness. Either with existing help or network with another cleaner, covering his possible illnesses.

yep i had a helper and a competitor help while i was in the hospital a while back.

i thought i had a cold so was taking nyquil and by the 4th day i couldn't hardly move and my head was buzzing something fierce. my dr wasn't helping to get me in. so we went to the ER. thy kept me three days, turns out i had strep and was going septic that wasn't fun at all

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
Perhaps a bit of topic ...but it has to do with back up plans for running your business.

I've been in the biz for over 25 years. Owned a CD franchise with multiple vans. Got out of CD and went independent in 2009 as a O/O. I hated having employees. Necessary evil if you want to grow big but I've decided I like being a one man band. My plan as I head towards retirement was to pare down to maybe doing one job a day, a few days a week. My wife has an excellent corporate position with benefits so that really takes stress off.

Last year I had a few medical issues, nothing to serious, at least I thought not to serious. Finally after not really figuring out what was going on with me, my doc suggested a colonoscopy. Hmm, doesn't sound like something I'd normally sign up for but I went and had one.

Turns out I have stage 3 rectal cancer.

We just went thru breast cancer and healing in 2017 with my wife. She is now OK. 2019 is going to be my year of healing. Already did Chemo/radiation. Surgery is coming up in May. At least 2 months of not being able to work. More chemo after that. My plan of only doing one job a day has materialized sooner by about 5 years than I thought. I can do one job, but my endurance is so low one job is it. I go home and nap. My prognosis is good - I will survive this.

So why did I log in after being away so long and not posting? Because my message to all of you is - If you have ANY symptoms, go see your doc and if he suggests a colonoscopy -DO IT! The overall procedure is not nearly as bad as it sounds. Painless really.

I'm 62 years old. They suggest a colonoscopy starting at 50, then every 10 years after that. If I'd have at least gone in at 60 and had one I'd most likely be in a much better place than I am now.

Again - go get your colonoscopy!

Last edited:

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Perhaps a bit of topic ...but it has to do with back up plans for running your business.

I've been in the biz for over 25 years. Owned a CD franchise with multiple vans. Got out of CD and went independent in 2009 as a O/O. I hated having employees. Necessary evil if you want to grow big but I've decided I like being a one man band. My plan as I head towards retirement was to pare down to maybe doing one job a day, a few days a week. My wife has an excellent corporate position with benefits so that really takes stress off.

Last year I had a few medical issues, nothing to serious, at least I thought not to serious. Finally after not really figuring out what was going on with me, my doc suggested a colonoscopy. Hmm, doesn't sound like something I'd normally sign up for but I went and had one.

We just went thru breast cancer and healing in 2017 with my wife. She is now OK. 2019 is going to be my year of healing. Already did Chemo/radiation. Surgery is coming up in May. At least 2 months of not being able to work. More chemo after that. My plan of only doing one job a day has materialized sooner by about 5 years than I thought. I can do one job, but my endurance is so low one job is it. I go home and nap. My prognosis is good - I will survive this.

So why did I log in after being away so long and not posting? Because my message to all of you is - If you have ANY symptoms, go see your doc and if he suggests a colonoscopy -DO IT! The overall procedure is not nearly as bad as it sounds. Painless really.

I'm 62 years old. They suggest a colonoscopy starting at 50, then every 10 years after that. If I'd have at least gone in at 60 and had one I'd most likely be in a much better place than I am now.

wish you the best.

my wifes uncle died from colon cancer he was too embarrassed too see a dr about his symptoms.

he was mid 40's and a very strong man he died weighing less than 100lbs.

then i read fortunately its one of the most treatable cancers but he waited way too long.

very glad you went and are getting help

Name
Matt Ross

I'm 32 with stage 2 colon cancer. So you never know...

Mikey P

Administrator
Just chill with some Netflix, everything gonna be a'rite..

IMG_20190403_215756_01.jpg

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I'm 32 with stage 2 colon cancer. So you never know...
yep we're all healthy and then we're not..

I was 39 being told I had suffered a brain aneurysm and I had a 50:50 chance of even living 24hrs

that was 6 yrs ago, as much as possible stay positive and look at all options

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
back up plan???
why im jus gonna die
jus like all the rest of ya's

the way i feel
i've seen....done....and experienced
more than most people i ve met in life and i feel good that i have!
im not afraid of death.....just a portal to a new dimension where hopefully i'll do a better job there than i did here!
i absolutely know there is a greater one than this ......

no fear.... jus pushing thru

i love dogs ..hopefully somehow
i can help the ones that need it..

people....not so much!

how cool would it be to
to help Ken Snow...load up a pallet full of dog food?

Last edited:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
We have help... But I also cannot be selfish as I need to think about our guys too and make sure if they get ill we can have a back up plan for them too.

Our son in law Aron is our main guy right now and the business will be his....

If something happens to him that could be devastating also in so many ways 🙁

We have been investing in retirement and also having our kids do the same.

We are trying to help them now and for their future.

I am doing things I really want to do at this time in my life.

There is just so much to do... 😊

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
In 02 my older brother who was 56 went to Tulsa for a convention. He had a heart attack
and never came home alive🤷🏼‍♂️ We’re all day to day. We were on the phone planning a fishing trip for the following week🤷🏼‍♂️ Tell everyone you love, you love em, don’t put off tomorrow what you can do today😀

Reactions: Cleanworks

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

You are so right, Barry. Colon cancer is something you don't realize you have until it gets bad. Chuck Robbins can tell you his story. I get physicals/wellness checkups twice a year. Prostate can be a killer in us older guys if not checked regularly. Colonoscopy's every 3 years now for me. My first scope, at 50 years old, had polyps, which Dr removed. The prep is hell, a wasted day of squirts, but to monitor colon cancer, it has to be done. And I'm fortunate that I have fantastic insurance, even today. This latest ass-kicking is unusual for me, since i seldom get sick. And everyone I've talked to around town has it......and it hangs on for a month. I think I got the sinus infection under control, but have these coughing attacks every night. Starting to piss me off!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom