What's your favorite post clean fringe brightener?

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Oxy Buff or the CentrumForce fringe cleaner. it's about as simple as you can get. If that fails go to the swimming pool supply store and get some 27% peroxide :)

Last edited:

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
hmm well!?..

20191024_174710.jpg

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Have they changed the formulation for chemspec Rx for fringe? Years ago, when it was called Rx for browning, I was told that it was a sodium bisulfite reducer. Now I see it's an oxidizer.

Reactions: Mikey P

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Why not clean the soil out of the fringe first with Fringe Plus? Then, deal with any stains in it the fundamental way. Fringes come in cotton, wool, silk and rayon. This and type of stain has a bearing on what to choose.

Reactions: J Scott W

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Why not clean the soil out of the fringe first with Fringe Plus? Then, deal with any stains in it the fundamental way. Fringes come in cotton, wool, silk and rayon. This and type of stain has a bearing on what to choose.
That's exactly what we do. I haven't tried your product but it looks great. A thorough cleaning solves most of the problems. Browning only happens if left too wet or cleaning was incomplete. We often get fringes damaged from poor cleaning or water damage situations. That's the only time we need to use a fringe bleach. One of the biggest problems with hand cleaning is people are afraid to get the fringes wet and only do half a job. I thoroughly soak and scrub the fringes but then spend some time extracting and drying them. Maybe one day I'll grow up and buy a wash tub and centrifuge

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
If hanging the rug, doing a more thorough cleaning of the rug and Fringe, will reduce your need to post treat the fringe.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
@T Monahan gave some good advice. Also keep in mind that cotton fringe is not usually meant to be white white like new underwear. Cottonis naturally off-white. With proper cleaning it may not need brightening unless the customer just wants white.

When brighter is needed, I think OxyBuff Shampoo does it best. But a reducer like Bridgepoint's Coffee Stain Remover (sodium Metabisulfite) is a little safer for the cotton. I like that both are powders making it easy to adjust the strength of what you mix up.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
We have been using "Fringe Plus" for several years with great results. It's a little difficult to apply because it's a paste, so we use a 2' long brush and quickly apply it, then we tamp the really bad fringes front and back. Let it dwell as long as possible (1 minute to 30 minutes). We then power wash it out with a pressure washer, this will remove all deeply embedded and greasy soil. If there are stains left we will use whatever is necessary to remove them, either a strong 15% peroxide boosted with ammonia, or in extreme cases chlorine bleach. We do this on the wash floor before submerging the rug in the wash tub this way we can power wash the fringe again to get the chlorine or peroxide out and ultimately thoroughly wash and rinse the rug in the tub and then a final rinse in the centrifuge.

We use a paint shield to protect the rug from the chlorine or peroxide and always immediately power rinse it out away from the rug to prevent the bleach form migrating into the rug. This is only used when the fringe is permanently stained and nothing else worked.

Chet

Name
Chet Sadowski
So our fringes are clean before drying and If a fringe browns out after cleaning it is because we didn't get all the soil out of the rug or left too much moisture in it before drying. So in most cases we will just rewash it and use peroxide on the fringe.

It should be noted that there are a lot of viscose rugs on the market and when they use viscose for the foundation. When you encounter these they do brown out and difficult to fully correct. After fully dry we will mist with 15% peroxide and use a high intensity uv light and an air mover to dry quickly.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom