When buying pre-spray...

G

How many of you worry about 'too high of pH might void the warranty"? :?

Chads

Supportive Member
I did at first when I didn't know better but just a bunch of BS from carpet manufacturers ,also just another hype for some chem companies to take advantage of sell us a lot of chems that we don't really need look closely at the warranties almost all of them have it where anything happens to the carpet its voided there warranties so what is the big point.

G

Well, ok.

What percentage of carpet do you clean that you really need to worry about warranty? What percentage of carpet do you see that might have any protector left in it that could be removed if your pH is too high? I mean, how much does it affect your choice in chems when buying pre-spray?

breathe72

Ok, I have asked this question in a different way in a previous thread recently: "how Many of you Rinse?" and I'm glad I asked. What I meant was what you are asking now.

Sounds like your distributor is putting the hard-sell on you to buy a neutralizer.

I know mine is. They even have a demo-kit ready to show any cleaner who dares to say he does not need to bring the ph levels back to neutral.

"you will void the warranty" they said.

"you will damage the carpet" they said.

"But we have NEVER had a problem with that", I said.

You should have seen the look of horror on their faces when I said I rinse with a high ph emulsifier as well. (i know, im a hack, right?)

"but you just have to rinse, blah blah blah" they said.

"but the guys on Mikeys board say you don't have to", I said.
(this is where the sales crew begin casting nervous glances at one another)

I showed them my pimped-out wand (thanx Greenie) and explained how we simply extract that mean ol chemical right on out with our dry-passes (using 4-to-tha-door) leaving the carpet virtually dry, so how could there be all this extra chemical left in the carpet if its now sitting in our recovery tanks.....etc. you get the picture. Again more weird stares, followed by "but you HAVE to neutralize" and "alkali" this and "alkali" that.

I was told the SAME thing about tile & grout, by my distibutor. Guess what? We 'rinse' with hot water. Looks great. Every time, every job. The tile does not show efflorescence, nor have we 'destroyed the grout'.

Out the door I went, with another bucket of DrySlurry, in my mission to increase PH levels across the city.

Im an emulsifier hack I guess.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Dry Slurry isn't a "high PH" rinse, is it?

Yea, it's on the alkaline side, but I never considered 10 Ph as "high"

To answer Josh's question.

We keep the Ph under 10 for stain resist.
I'm not concerned with "voiding" the warranty.
More a matter of not damaging the stain resist properties with me

..L.T.A.

RichardnTn

My concern with high ph is resoiling... We have some "gentleman" who use engine degreasers as a regular prespray.... I go in behind them sometimes to clean....at times, there is some of the dye gone from the carpet... RR

G

If you damage the stain resist, you'll void the warranty.

My concern with high pH also is re-soiling.

And I really don't feel pressured to buy this or that when I do visit the distributor.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
How does high Ph pre-sprays add to resoiling??

I've heard many say high Ph can cause rapid re-soil rates

How does Ph alone effect re-soil rates??

..L.T.A.

G

Well, you can get ‘stain resistant yellowing’ with high pH cleaners and ‘browning’. I don’t know about ‘high pH alone’, but rapid re-soiling is usually caused by a residue or wicking.

I was taught in my iicrc class that you need to neutralize and balance the pH. Cuz if you clean with an alkaline and don’t rinse with an acid, you will leave the carpet fibers ‘naked’ which will contribute to rapid re-soiling and also cause it to dry stiff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom