When there in not a matching donor piece of carpet to use

Stevea

Sometimes we just do not have a matching piece of carpet to use for repair, so inserting a contrasting piece will sometimes make the customer happy. I have three different repairs that may come up that this will be how they will be repaired. Here is an example of something to do.

This was an area where the dis-coloration occurred from a rug sitting on top of the carpet, so we simply cut the damaged stained area out, matched the colors to accent areas of the room, confirmed with the customer she would like this and the inlaid this contrasting piece in.

before with the stain
IMG_2569.jpg

here is what it looked like after
IMG_2570.jpg

Here is how it was secured
IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

This can be done with inlaying some design, the consumer's name or whatever will work. It can be followed with a border around the room.

Just something else to consider.

SA

Stevea

Hi Nate,

Nice to see you here, thanks for the the nice comments.

I should have the information you requested by Monday sometime, I will email you then.

Take care,
Steve

Stevea

John,

No, that is my daughter with really short hair. She has worked with me for years, still does part time, we worked all day Friday together, cleaning and repair work.

Ultraclean,

Glad you like the idea, it allows one to fix something in a different way that we normally think about, Like Tony always brings up, to think outside the box.

SA

ultraclean

Steve, you have stitched the seams in the photo, can you do the same repair with just the kool glide. Will the kool glide give the seams the necessary strength and durability?

Thanks Andrew

Stevea

Andrew,

This is a completely different type of seaming than with the Kool Glide, it is made from the back of the carpet and used for its tremendous strength in stress areas.

Having said that, yes you can use the Kool Glide but it is very good if you always seal the edges even with the Kool Glide. A properly sealed edge(with hot melt) will hold very well all by itself but with the Kool Glide and the fusing together of both components (Tape and Hot Melt Sealing glue) will give it great strength also.

One is simply from the back side and one from the front side, different forms of repairs.

Here is one set up to do from the top of the carpet using the Kool Glide
th_borderrug.jpg

Here is the piece laid in and adhered with the Kool Glide
borderrug2.jpg

Part of the difference, the first one was made to be completely permanent and the second, (with the Kool Glide) was made to be able to be taken out later and replaced if and when that time ever came.

I hope this explains and answers your question.

SA

ultraclean

Yes thanks Steve, that’s very cool by the way, not the colours I would have put together ,but that’s a very nice piece of work.

Thanks Andrew.

Stevea

John,

I consider it a compliment, no need to say sorry, its my kid, I guess we are supposed to look somewhat alike.

SA

Cousin

Sorry??! That was a compliment John!

Steve, you look after yourself very well :D

And very nice inlay work. There's craftmanship right there.

Had a friend ring me a while ago with a large white paint spill on new grey cut pile carpet. It was beyond it when I got there.
Right at the entry to the hallway. Picked up some red loop pile and replaced the paint area with that, leaving the grey as a border to tie in with the rest of the hallway.
Looks like a designer piece now, they love it more now than before the paint spill.

Sorry no pics :(

Its one part of the job I love.

Replace a catastrophe with something they can't stop smiling about.

M

Stevea

M,

Would love to see the photos of that.

That type of repair is a great one, one can even inlay a logo rug into the entry of a room for a business or office, imagination is the limit. The area in front of a fireplace is a good one to do also, it allows for a lot of imagination, wool of course to go in front of the fireplace.

Here is an example of an install we did and the piece of carpet they had was simply too small for the room, so we went and got a remnant, cut border pieces and added to the carpet to make it fit the room, they felt like they got a custom rug out of it

This is my wife using the kool glide, in my family everyone works but me, I get to take pictures.
border-1.jpg

Here is a rug I made for a little interior shop, she has it on the wall but it would have been very easy and neat looking to inlay this into a carpet.

countrycreeklogorug.jpg

Just some ideas to share,

SA

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Steve that last one must have taken ages. Did you hot knife it out? I'm thinking for a job like that you would remove the entire secondary backing and reattach when done?
I'd love to have a go at a logoed entrance way or similar.

Stevea

Heath,

Several ways and several different methods involved. You can use a hot knife to do so, I have several I use from large ones to a very fine delicate one that allows very tiny cuts, almost like a surgical tool.

I have been working on a class and video for this. I use it to market myself in some cases. Make a logo rug for some company you want to get into and sell yourself to, present it to the owner or one who has authority and you will get in to speak with the decision maker.

Another benefit, some people just want to buy one or have one made. Here is one I made earlier in the year for an open house event where a real estate broker was selling a 1.4 million home. They had a DJ there, lots of food and on & on, they commissioned me to make a logo rug for everyone to see when they came in, this is the rug I made for them and everyone had to walk over it to enter the home
draytonhall-38.jpg

Another interesting point of these, if one learns how to do this, they will learn a lot of fine points about certain repair work and on & on.

SA

Cousin

I'm impressed Steve. That's extremely good work.
Bet you couldn't stop looking at it when you were done.
I gather for things like the scrolls you make up a template and use that for cutouts and donors?

M

Stevea

M,

Thank you for such nice comments. Have you seen the one I made for Mikey?

I do not use templates, there are several ways of doing this, as I told Charles earlier I am working on a class for this and video as well as an advanced class that I will share all of this stuff. I guess in a way it is somewhat 'freehanded' to quote John. Nothing magical, actually quite simple.

These are some things I would love to share with ones in this room, just trying to figure out how to do so correctly.

SA

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Steve,

Just wanted to thank you for being a true professional willing to share his knowledge to better the industry. A week after taking your IICRC approved class I tried a whole house carpet installation. I made tons of mistakes and it took forever, but thanks to you and the IICRC I was able to complete the project and the customer was happy.

Mike Hughes

Stevea

Hi Mike,

I am so glad you were able to tackle the job and learn a lot. It is certainly kind of you to say the things you did but remember, You were the one who did the work and worked your way through the job. I hope your experience will encourage others to add this valuable service to their arsenal of tools to make a living with. Thank you so much for sharing real life experiences. Please take photos of your work as you do more, for your own use with your business but share some of them here as well.

It sounds like you were able to work your way out of whatever tight spots you may have run into, as my friend Harry Myers always says, his skill is in the ability to figure out what needs to be done and to work his way out of a difficult spot. Sounds like you have learned a valuable thing.

Take care and share some more experiences with all the rest in this room. Also, let Jill, Bert and Bob know how their sponsoring of a class helped you, I am sure they will appreciate knowing these things.

SA

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
It does sound like he worked a way out of a tough situation. Great Job. Personally what I do is I like to practice on anything to me that is a challenge. Always remember that practice makes perfect. Practice on what ever you can. Make the challenge harder. It will only make you better. Good luck on your endenvours. Thank You Steve. I hope you are doing well. Thanks for remembering my Quotations. Like I said on the
Floor Pro you are A CLASS A act. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom