When to give up on gum

Bucey

Name
FFA?
commerical account just decided after I took on the account that they want to try and get the maybe 4 to 6 year old gum out of the ribbed carpet. I did mention this before I took the account, just incase anyone was wondering. So I gave no promises due to the fact of the carpet structure and age of the gum. Just got through there tonight and used some gel break with little success. So When do you give up? My answer now, afraid I may cause some damage to the glue. Anyone ever had luck with this. I was going to talk to the Manager in the morning. Thanks

Name
Bruce
Freeze the gum then bust it out with a screw driver.

L10884017.jpg

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I find that on old hard gum cleaning it first to heat it up and then treating it with a solvent works best. SOMEtimes the gum will stick to the glide without any solvent. Don't know why, but happens occasionally.

Gene

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Start with a good prespray hit the area with your favorite citrus gel ie Chemspec liqua Gel, Matrix orange gel and let is it for 10 minutes, loosen with nice hot head while rinsing/extracting, use a gum getter and more citrus gel and scrub aggresivley on the gum and rinse with nice hot slow strokes. I've yet to fail to remove gum from the carpet. And I'm sure there are many here that can say the same.

6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgdxrZ72CyU6]

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I do similar to the SweenDogg. At times if I soften it up, and poke holes in the middle to allow the solvent to penetrate the process goes a bit smoother with less scrubbing my ass off.

Bucey

Name
FFA?
i must be a moron, I did all of that and I could not get the to come out. I think its stuck in the ribbed carpet? I suck!!!!!!!!

Name
Jesse
We've been made to look fools this week by a good lot of old gum at a walmart entry. Two 6 hour trips so far with 2 guys using a gum removal wand & hot tm, wall paper steamer, and a few quarts of gum remover.

We'll be going back a 3rd time to get the final 10% out this weekend.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
First.. make sure its actually gum... a paint spot is a whole nother animal and a real PITA!!! Also dwell dwell dwell. Secondly what prespray are you using? Grease Eraser, Ultrapac plus citrus, and powerburst have usually been my main presprays. And don't be afraid to use a mechanical agiation like a 175 with a fiber plus or fiber plus max pads.

Finally in residential/textured carpets. sometimes I will use the RDM and heal it at the spot of the gum and after a few minutes of repeated hot passes, the gum comes out without additional work.

randy

Name
Randy
Sometimes it's just a lost cause as there is just too much of it for the removal to be cost effective. Sometimes you could replace the carpet for the cost of the gum removal. I will never understand how so much of it ends up in the carpet. It's like people walk in and purposely spit it on the carpet, weird.

I remember kids getting paddled for chewing gum in school or (worse) chapel. That is starting to look like a marvelous idea !

Name
Bruce
LMAO @ you guys, if you want to remove that gum from the carpet fast , freeze it. I worked Theatre maintenance for 12 years , nothing works faster on commercial carpet.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I agree freeze. Get some freeze spray and thats stuff gets very brittle. Screwdriver will break it into little pieces. Doesn't matter how old it is. You will be left with some residue which I first place my steamer on and then the glide will pick it up usually.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I'd post how I get gum out, but then I'd have to spend two hours listening to midgets telling me why it wouldn't work or worse....

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Lee Stockwell said:
I'd post how I get gum out, but then I'd have to spend two hours listening to midgets telling me why it wouldn't work or worse....

I've used that same water displacement product as well Lee. :wink:

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
ronbeatty said:
Buy a Vortex and melt it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

You don't need a Vortex to melt gum, Just a good SINGLE JET WAND! and heat of 210 or above will melt it. Then finish with solvent. With the single jet wand you can move the jet right over the gum that helps a lot with melting it, screw all those damn jets. Oh and my Steamway will blow away your vortex heat, But the Boxxer gets plenty hot to soften up the gum you just need the single jet. :mrgreen:

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
everfresh1 said:
ronbeatty said:

You don't need a Vortex to melt gum, Just a good SINGLE JET WAND! and heat of 210 or above will melt it. Then finish with solvent. With the single jet wand you can move the jet right over the gum that helps a lot with melting it, screw all those damn jets. Oh and my Steamway will blow away your vortex heat, But the Boxxer gets plenty hot to soften up the gum you just need the single jet. :mrgreen:
Jamie, First of all it was a joke, did you notice the wink? Secondly, I do not use gum remover, as I said I melt it. It always amazes me the responses from people who have never operated a newer style Vortex who have no idea what they are talking about.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
ronbeatty said:
everfresh1 said:
ronbeatty said:

Jamie, First of all it was a joke, did you notice the wink? Secondly, I do not use gum remover, as I said I melt it. It always amazes me the responses from people who have never operated a newer style Vortex who have no idea what they are talking about.

So it was a joke... Why did I seem upset about your comment? I was just adding my two cents, Whats the problem? I don't use gum remover either :) And i still stand behind my comment. Your Vortex will not deliver the heat of a Steamway. Sorry it just won't happen. of course you'll have more vac, but the best heat will go to the oil fired unit. :mrgreen:

tim

Citrus solve works better than gel products, aggitate good with a shark, no problems. Rinse well. Have used that at a stripclub that gets cleaned every 2 years whether it needs it or not! 100 ground in filthy gum spots, worked like a charm. charge accordingly!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom