when to replace check valves

cbcsi

I am replacing the packings with brass, and porcelein/ceramic plungers on my General pump T9211 (3000 psi). My question is should I disturb the check valves to verify they are in good shape, and maybe have to replace the O rings at least. Or do I leave them in place. I would rather not replace them (and buy the General kit#1) until they need it. What will be my first sign they need to be replaced. The pump only had about 900 hours or so.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
cbcsi said:
I am replacing the packings with brass, and porcelein/ceramic plungers on my General pump T9211 (3000 psi). My question is should I disturb the check valves to verify they are in good shape, and maybe have to replace the O rings at least. Or do I leave them in place. I would rather not replace them (and buy the General kit#1) until they need it. What will be my first sign they need to be replaced. The pump only had about 900 hours or so.

I'm really only know a little about Cat pumps only, but curious why you're working on your pump now with only 900 hours on it?

freeze?
run dry too long?

..L.T.A.

cbcsi

Thanks for asking.

hhmmm. I had a low pressure Dema Valve that primes the pump out start leaking (warped where the soleniod mounts to the Y part. And the water pressure guage got stuck, and the water temp sensor Kaput. Me thinks it did indeed freeze. I was also told you get 800-900 hrs before the packings start leaking anyway. The Main pump is warranteed against freeze, but not the wear parts just the main pump and head???

I am thankful that the HX didn't also spring a leak. Learning how to replace the packings in the pump is a good thing. Now I am not afraid of doing it. It was really easy. The tough part was figuring out how to extract the old packings without screwing anything up. My father in law came up with an old brake tool that is like a pair of retaining ring pliers only more the size of conventional lineman's pliers. Perfect.

cbcsi

I decided not to disturb the check valves. They can all be gotten too pretty easily so I figure I can do that later or in a year when I replace the packings again.

lesterj2

i just got my van out of the shop... had to replace the packings and check valves...
i didnt think to ask the repair man how often should I change them though so this is a great post...

Able 1

Name
Keith
Hey meat... When do I know that my pump should be rebuilt? I have a 3cp and have about 2300 on it.. Should I order the rebuild kit(to be safe) or should it be a while?

Thanks,
Keith

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom