Which goes first the chicken( jobs) or the egg(marketing)?

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
I believe it would be marketing/advertising and yet we all spend so much time and energy on the job. How much time weekly and % of sales do you spend on marketing.
Mine about 1-2 hours a week and 4-5% of sales
This thread may belong in the market room but have it.

Terry

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I guess it depends on how much time you have on your hands. I've been trying since april to take a day off to mail to my customer base and I finally got my postcards printed this week.

As far as $$$$ for advertising that depends on alot of factors too. I spend $9.95 a month for my website to be hosted and $20-$30 a month in PPC ads to help my rankings and that's about it.

I made a vow that I will start mailing to my customer base every other month even if I have to get it done at 2:00 in the morning. Don't want those hard earned customers to wander off.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Jim Williams said:
I guess it depends on how much time you have on your hands. I've been trying since april to take a day off to mail to my customer base and I finally got my postcards printed this week.

As far as $$$$ for advertising that depends on alot of factors too. I spend $9.95 a month for my website to be hosted and $20-$30 a month in PPC ads to help my rankings and that's about it.

Damn, $39.95 is all it cost to advertise in NC I need to move!

Keith

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Keith, that's all I spend now, but I guess I should mention that the first 3 years I was in business I went through about $35,000 in advertising. Once the ball starts rolling it keeps going though.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Jim Williams said:
Keith, that's all I spend now, but I guess I should mention that the first 3 years I was in business I went through about $35,000 in advertising. Once the ball starts rolling it keeps going though.

I agree with that but do you think that has to do with the exposure ie logo's and seeing you around town? What was the least profitable ad you have had?

I haven't done about $20,000 in ads and the best for me is flyers.(3 years)

Keith

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Alot of it has to do with the fact that I know alot of people. I live in a somewhat rural area where everybody knows everybody, plus I travel around to 15 or so different churches filling in when the Pastor is out. And then there are all the playgroup mommies that my wife hangs out with, and the Families of children from China group We are involved in. Like the folks that did the next 30 days CD says "business is all around you". Strike up a conversation with the gal behind you in line at the grocery store, let her know what you do, and always wear a shirt with your logo, even on weekends.

When you live in a small town word travels fast so you better run a good honest business or you won't last long.

As far as advertising I have gotten the best return from internet PPC ads followed by postcards to nice areas which gives me a 5:1 return. The worst return has been newspapers and YP where I only broke even each month. But all of it is now paying off in the form of repeats and referrals.

The snowball keeps getting bigger and bigger, unfortunately I had some new customers who needed a cleaning right away and I just couldn't get to them this summer, there's only one me and I'm not as young as I used to be. Guess it may be time to hire a helper.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I'm thinking about a full time helper too! I never had any luck in the paper either. The yellow pages has paid for it self though(YP is go big or don't waste your money IMO), I have three half pages and It does ok, even if I break even I keep that custy for the next year and then comes the snowball effect.

Keith

Back
Top Bottom