which oil filter

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
anyone have the number for a fram filter for a briggs 18hp??? or some other easy to find filter...rather then going to the small engine repair shop and paying double...

18 hp briggs need an oil filter number

thanks

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Go to an auto parts store and tell them the engine # and they will cross reference it in one of their books.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I have a briggs 18 hp, I go to walmart and get the Supertech 3614 filters I believe, they run me like $2 something a pop, piss on paying $12 for a genuine briggs filter. I find this filter is only in stock at walmart about half the time, when they are in stock I pick up 4 or 5 at a time, oil and filter changes every 50 hrs keep my oil looking great even when it is time for a changing, also this filter is the same as the long briggs filter so you get a small amount more oil compacity, I find it rediculous an air cooled engine like this only holds 1.5 qts with the filter, I have been tempted to drill and tap the oil filter holder and install a remote setup that holds 2 giant filters that would fit a big block chevy. oh well a new motor is only a grand, so when it blows 2k hours from now I will just slap in a 20 hp instead

RichardnTn

Try this...

take your old filter in the auto parts place and check it against what's in stock...A Kohler filter for my machines is 10.00..a Fram 3614 is 2.50 on sale.....Best to you, Richard

Fon Johnson

My mechanic specifically told me to get a filter from the Briggs dealer. He said not to get a fram, or other "generic" type filter. The cost of a quality filter is less than a new engine. He also commented on how clean my engine was when he recently replaced the seals for me.

I know that opinions are like noses.. LOL BUT I have been told repeatedly the same thing about Fram filters for all engines, by different mechanics.

NOT passing judgement here.. just stating what I have been told.

RichardnTn

Valid Point

Most small engine manufactures "farm" out their filters to someone else.... I have used Fram and others for 27 years and haven't had a single problem...Some people feel more comfortable using recommended replacement filters, plugs, etc. That's great. Do what you think is better..
I change filter and oil every 100 hours....I do think it is better to start with the best oil and stay with it and add a few ounces of Lucas or something comparible at each change. Synthetics are really better since higher temperatures don't affect it as much as regular oil. Regular oil starts to break down around 600 degrees where syn. oil is tolerant of 300-400 more degrees...sorry to ramble....Best to ya, Richard

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I managed an auto parts store for 10 years. I have cut open different brands of filters to get a good look at the insides. If you want a quality filter that will not break the bank get a wix it should cost about 4-5 dollars. With that being said I don't think you would have any problems with the fram or some other cheapy if you change it regularly but there is just a lot more filtering going on with the better filters.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
shoot who makes $1000s a day...

i am just saying its a pain to go the parts store everytime you need something... id rather pay a little cheaper and replace more often, the cheapys for the 1st while hold up as well as the spendy ones....but if you replace sooner then its even...and new oil in it all the time

Name
Shawn Forsythe
If the unit is still under warranty, use an OEM filter.

If not, Fram is the TM supplier's best friend, for repeat sales of units and engines anyway.

We won't stock Fram, that would be unethical.

Cut a Fram filter, then put it side by side wth just about any other. The surface area of the pleats will convince you that you just found the most shoddy filter that technology can produce. Nevermind that the oil bypass setting is a crapshoot whether it is even near the proper setting. The bypass is set for the most used application for each particular filter, not for your small engine. Ask the engine manufacturer whether the paticular Fram unit meets minimum warranty requirements for your particular engine, you might be surprised.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
warrenty??? whats that?? :wink:

I dont think i am to worried about my avenger 210s warrenty...granted a engine is an engine, dont matter what unit its on, still an engine

sigh now yous all made me feel bad :oops:

guess ill wait another 75 hrs till i cans afford a oem filter :cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fon Johnson

Doug, I'm pretty broke, but I do have $6.00 I can loan you for a filter.. Don't burn up that engine. :lol:

:roll:

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I just picked up 2 more supertech ST3614 filters for $2.25 a pop from walmart, been using them for 5 years and 2k hours, my machine runs like a top, burns no oil, the oil looks clean when I change it every 50 hrs, I don't see a problem

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom