Who buys an Electric Truckmount?

Mikey P

Administrator
-Newbs who found the Bane compound first.
-Seasoned pros who can't stay busy and have to cut corners at all cost.
-Seasoned pros who want a backup unit that can sit for months and not lock up.
-Guys who make one for themselves.

and that about covers it.

Will a ETM user buy an expensive generator to run his unit?
Doubtful, very doubtful especially if it's not a full time unit.

My question is the units that need a 220 outlet we be severely limited and lose many jobs do to access. One particular ETM can be had with a 220 to two 110 conversion/splitter.
I'd be curious if this unit can run at the upcoming BBQ from two 110's in the host's house.

...without unplugging refrigerators, arch and mig welders, stereos, TVs, computers, lamps, fish tanks, and any and everything else on the leg/circuit without fear of popping fuses/GFI's

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
David, would you shoot me an email or pm with the specs/model of unit you bought? We are consideringan electric unit for our specialty rug cleaning for post wash or ones we do not want to put throuh our Moore. The electric one we built in the early 80's is getting long in the tooth.

Mikey P

Administrator
i use my my mytee etm in my rug shop. beats the crap out of my portable extractor plus on the non wool rugs i have heat to steam out the nastys. best thing out there for a rug shop.

Now there is an excellent use for one. Did you buy it with that intent?
Did you ever fix your chem draw issues? (I think that what was giving you grief.)

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman

My question is the units that need a 220 outlet we be severely limited and lose many jobs do to access. One particular ETM can be had with a 220 to two 110 conversion/splitter.
I'd be curious if this unit can run at the upcoming BBQ from two 110's in the host's house.

...without unplugging refrigerators, arch and mig welders, stereos, TVs, computers, lamps, fish tanks, and any and everything else on the leg/circuit without fear of popping fuses/GFI's

I think another crowd is looking for the simplicity of the ETM.
For $1300 you can buy a 10,000 watt generator that runs on propane. If you are using a little giant heater, you will have the propane tank already.
My only concern is the vacuum. Otherwise, you will have heat and psi to do what you want.
All this could be done for less that 9k

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm sorry, I just don't see the "simplicity" in dealing with two cords, two potentially LONG cords, the 150 ft restrictions on vacuum, the running of a generator when there is nowhere to plug in, Booster boxes and one more cord, extra chem use, extra vacuum strokes, propane heaters blowing your fookin eyebrows off, two fuels, two or maybe three jobs a day max etc...

All this could be done for less that 9k

yipeE! come on Charlie, seriously? You would go through all that hassle each and every day to save 5 to 10 grand on the unit and $2 to 3K a year in gas assuming you're busy all the time??

sounds like a recipe for failure.

45/48 blowers and 30 horse engines are cheap to replace. If you can't stick 2 grand under your mattress for when one blows you probably need to go look for a real job.

-----------------------------

You want simplicity? How much simplers does it get than a Cobb type HX truckmount?

TCS and Judson need a HX IMO.

In fact if I were one of the Blue companies I'd offer a sit on tank design unit. Just makes too much sense not to. All 3 components are right there right out in the open. 150 to 200 or more gallons right there where it belongs, dirty and or clean leaving tons of room in the back. I'd love to hear the reason why they don't.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator

I think Larry is hoping to sell some ETMs to these guys.
DFW is over run with owner ops taking the scraps Dalworth and Zerorez leave for them. I would bet most are cleaning for 20 to 30 bucks an hours take home and are spending their weekends keeping their hand me down POS texas built rattle can units running.

Once the market has used up all those beat to hell machines, that shiny brand new ETM with the $5999.95 price tag will surely lure a few over.

But If Larry has a heart, he'll finance them that nice NEW all stainless NickOmount instead.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
IF I were to do an ETM, I would keep it plugged into the generator all of the time. (Go ahead blast me on that one). I would not want to hassle with the cord issue. People want a simple machine. I can't stand the fact that my boxxer has a HX UNDERNEATH it. Stupid design. Seriously, having to lift the machine out of the van to clean the HX? That is what I a, going to avoid with my next TM.
I like the simple judson machine, except I can't get any info on them from Les.
Larry's machines are the most user friendly machines I've seen. I have to be able to work on my stuff, I can't count on my local guy to fix stuff in a timely manner.
I think that will be the draw for any ETM buyers.
And I thought the Mytee is only $4700?

Name
Andy McFadden
The "etm" buyer is likely a guy who does residentail cleaning with most hose runs less then 150ft, has not the money to buy brand new TM, and not the money or knowledge to fix break downs on a used TM. Needs to maximize profits with very low operating costs an ETM provides. Likes the peace of mind knowing he can replace every part him self,( and afford the cost of replacing parts.) A guy who wants to make money , rather then impress other carpet cleaners.

THe cord issue is way over blown, it takes maybe 2 or 3 minutes to run the two cords, if it's ever to much of a pain to access power, just fire up the generator. Results are great with high heat from propane , or oil fired heat, dry times (for me anyways) are always around 4 hours or less on average conditions. Not a bad way for a guy to get started.

Think about this, Mr. Newbie drops his life savings on a $6000 used TM, the rest he pours in to marketing, just as he starts to make money his unit breaks down, he drives it to the repair shop and they tell him it's gonna cost $2000 to get him up and running again, problem is Mr. Newbie, don't have 2000 bucks, and no way to make it 2000 bucks cause his machine is down . WHat a lovely possition to be in.

THe etm may not make sense for every one , but for some it makes perfect sense . A newbie is way better off with it then a portable or a pad machine, that's for dang sure. (Ask me how I know) lol

Reactions: tmdry and Willy P

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I think an etm might work good for a niche cleaner who ecounters simular conditions on each job. If you had a super large service area like that lady on here that cleans half of texas it coould be smart to put it in a transit connect and run fresh water from the building to an apo and use a little giant. Anything less than that I would just get a 6 cylinder cargo van and run a slide in with no fresh water tank if I was that worried about gas milleage. I would imagine that out there in the northwest you might be able to cater to the tree huggers and have it be part of a green cleaning sort of deal. IMO an electro mount just seems like too much of a pita and thats why I keep a 1003 dx that comes out of my shop twice a year for the odd jobs and one high rise hotel I clean

hogjowl

Idiot™
I read all the pro and con positions stated for owning, or not owning, a supposed "electric TM" and I can't help but laugh at how things never change, they just come around again in cycles. Here we go again with what we experienced in the 60's and early 70's. The evolution from portables to TM's was driven as much by the perceived simplicity of operating a TM as much as it was by the performance increase of making the switch. Cleaners back then were tired of "running cords", which described not only the hassle of dealing with the cords, but also the perception problem from the customers standpoint, and dumping water down a toilet just as much as they were tired of lugging the portable up and down stairs. The new TM's gave them the ability to turn the key and flip a swicth and begin cleaning.

Today, after decades of TM use by professional, full-time cleaners, we now have portable mfgs attempting to capitalize on our interest in all things "new". We have been without an appreciable portable presence in our industry for so long that we have forgotten why we went away from them years ago. (This too shall pass.)

I read statments often describing the supposed frequency of break downs with TM's. That has just not been my experience. When breakdowns are an issue they come from another human tendency, which is the tendency to over complicate things. You know, if it works well with one component, it must work better with two? Prochem, Hydramaster and Sapphire come to mind when thinking about over-complicated units. TCS, Judson and Cobb have kept their designs simple and dependable, which is the way all TM's started off as being. I have used TCS units for over 20 years and I have never been unreasonably inconvenienced by a breakdowns.

I lived the switch from electric to gas powered units ... from portable to TM's. I remember why I made the change. I also recognize that the slight improvements that have been made in electric units of late have made them a bit more viable, and I understand that they can be of use to me in certain circumstances, but I also understand that those circumstance or conditions do not normally present themselves in my particular market. So, I do not see myself adding a truck mounted portable to my business, unless something really drastic changes. Like they make one that truly rivals the performance of a TM , or I move to a market with high rises and houses on stilts, like ours at the beach. I sit at our place in Gulf Shores (because I am normally bored there) and think of how I would approach operating a business there. Back in the 70's and 80's I would have gone the TM route, but after the hurricanes of the late 70's, 80's and early 90's the market totally changed. Gone are most of the single family cabins on stilts. Now we have multi-story high rise condo's which would make me use portable units, probably.

So, I understand some of you guys who live in big cities with a widely varied market structure saying you are leaning to the new electric units. I totally understand your reasoning. I do feel that you may be a bit hasty to make the change at this particular moment, because we do not have a reliable leader in the mfg of ETM's. What we have now are the pioneers who have the vision and desire to build a reliable ETM, but lack the necessary funding and stability to deliver a well built and reliable product. Eventually, the market will shake out a leader who can build an ETM in a simple yet functionally dependable way and offer the stability of a long term, stable presence. Until then, we will be forced to endure the evolutionary, darwinian process of success and failure that naturally occurs in any young and maturing industry.

Mikey P

Administrator
Good God, Marty skipped church today to give US a sermon!!!

They were more vowels and consonants in that post alone than a while month's worth of threads on all4ofus...Lol

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
In some areas of the country an ETM will work (conveniently) and some areas not so. The key is the easy availability of the 240 volt electric dryer outlet which provides the power for the four three stage vacuum motors and the 500 psi pump. In the northern states (like Michigan) where houses primarily use natural gas for heating, electric dryer outlets are not so common, and when they are used they are not necessarily easily accessible, so the ETM is not the perfect choice. But down south, especially Florida and Texas, (those are two places I am familiar with) an ETM will work, and work as well as the best gas powered TMs, especially combined with a rotary steamer, which is slowly becoming the predominant tool for the top carpet cleaners. There is no longer a need for the super high temperatures cleaners have become accustomed to (unless you are doing the proverbial Chinese restaurant late at night LOL) as normal hot water and chemicals and the agitation from the rotary machines are all you need to do a blow away job. I do this kind of work every day with a dual 3 stage porty brought to the front door of the houses and the ETM will do it with the addition of two more motors set up parallel as well as the series on the other two. As much vacuum power as a gas powered TM with a #4 blower all for the time cost of bring 1 electric cord out of the house (about one additional minute).

Reactions: Mikey P
F

FB7777

Ill interrupt my Aruban vacation to chime in here... Marty is dead on

And anyone that thinks pulling out Mrs Piffs dryer to steal juice is the way to operate a successful and highly profitable cleaning company deserves the average return they are obtaining for their efforts

ETM... Good grief

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
In our area all modern homes have easy access so getting to the juice shouldn't be much of a problem. However I think it would be a competitive disadvantage, if you were using an ETM in my market and I felt you we're cutting into my share I'd use your using their electricity hard. I'd make a point of it in all my marketing "We don't use your electricity to power our equipment. " (other than a vacuum LOL)

Jtuseo

Name
Big Hoss
If you are doing just residential its fine but and I mean a big but. A gas powered truckmount will save you 35 minutes per job. I know this because i lived it.

Big Hoss

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
In our area all modern homes have easy access so getting to the juice shouldn't be much of a problem. However I think it would be a competitive disadvantage, if you were using an ETM in my market and I felt you we're cutting into my share I'd use your using their electricity hard. I'd make a point of it in all my marketing "We don't use your electricity to power our equipment. " (other than a vacuum LOL)

Well if you started to go all ChemDry on me in your advertising, I would turn it around and say "We are a green company that doesn't burn fossil fuels in your driveway." Then I would show pictures of the graves of Iraq war soldiers who fought for our oil. The final part would be a picture of your big mansion with every light on and you stomping on kittens.

Reactions: Willy P

Notch

Name
Notch
There's alot of reasons for a etm.
Although I think alot of guys are confusing a portable with a bunjee cord to the floor as a etm..

Low entry cost is probably the primary one. (And least business minded long term)
Low cost of maintenance compared to TMs.
Miss perceived lower fuel costs if using a generator.
Labor is by far the most costly expenses yet its being thrown in the trash can to setup the octopus of cords and hoses to make it work.

But, I believe there is the times of change ahead of us.
Battery technology has much advanced.
Your telling me Nissan can make a car that can drive 5 people 200+ miles all on a battery but we can't turn some vac motors?
The truth is there just hasn't been enough people willing or just enough period to afford a 20k etm for the major players to invest the time in developing it IMO.
But the Internet and freedom of information (and influx of Chinese parts) may allow some young guns to change all this.
That is if yahoos like Albert Clark can stay out.

hogjowl

Idiot™
There's alot of reasons for a etm.
Although I think alot of guys are confusing a portable with a bunjee cord to the floor as a etm..

Low entry cost is probably the primary one. (And least business minded long term)
Low cost of maintenance compared to TMs.
Miss perceived lower fuel costs if using a generator.
Labor is by far the most costly expenses yet its being thrown in the trash can to setup the octopus of cords and hoses to make it work.

But, I believe there is the times of change ahead of us.
Battery technology has much advanced.
Your telling me Nissan can make a car that can drive 5 people 200+ miles all on a battery but we can't turn some vac motors?
The truth is there just hasn't been enough people willing or just enough period to afford a 20k etm for the major players to invest the time in developing it IMO.
But the Internet and freedom of information (and influx of Chinese parts) may allow some young guns to change all this.
That is if yahoos like Albert Clark can stay out.

Well, call me when it gets here.

I'll be flying my car with George Jetson.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
. . . People want a simple machine. I can't stand the fact that my boxxer has a HX UNDERNEATH it. Stupid design. Seriously, having to lift the machine out of the van to clean the HX? That is what I a, going to avoid with my next TM.

Larry's machines are the most user friendly machines I've seen. I have to be able to work on my stuff, I can't count on my local guy to fix stuff in a timely manner.
I think that will be the draw for any ETM buyers.
And I thought the Mytee is only $4700?

You are correct, Charlie. The Escape ETM is $4699.

If I had to choose between an Escape ETM and a 34HP #4 blower TM for most jobs . . .

I would use the 34 HP TM.

It's easier to get set up.

Right now, a modified ETM will have the vacuum of a #4 blower.

But more importantly, look at where the truck market is going . . .

The big trucks are disappearing quickly (fuel economy & operating costs).

Since Ford is phasing out the last "E series" van,

that only leaves GM for "current design" PTO trucks.

The new 27.5 mpg standard for vans,

will force manufacturers to downsize truck size & power.

Hybrid vans will be the next type of van to meet the 27.5 mpg standard.

A Hybrid van will be able to run an ETM with the engine at a fast idle.

That is the future, as I see it.

Larry

P.S. ETMs make sense in high rise cleaning, also.

Last edited:
Reactions: renegade_cowboy

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
As long as (ignore Art for this section. Sorry art, don't stomp anymore kittens :winky:) the productivity of a traditional truck mount more than makes up for the costs, it will stay. And most busy carpet cleaners will prefer it.

The moment ETMs reach the same level of productivity (convenience and ease of use are also productivity) the regular truck mount will disappear.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Marty;

We will be testing them side-by-side next Saturday in Wichita Falls, TX.

That testing will tell us how close the vac level is,

with both machines running a 2" x 12" wand.

Stay tuned, and get the popcorn.

(or maybe pigs feet)

Larry

Last edited:

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Marty;

(or maybe pigs feet)

Larry

Will you video the results? And get some good pics of the ETM if you could.

FredC

Village Idiot
:D Rotfl

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Marty;

(or maybe pigs feet)

Larry

Larry-
Will you be able to use the clear tube in the vac line close to the wands when testing, as was mentioned in a previous thread to you, or do you thinlk it is an unnecessary idea?

If you don't have a clear tube, you can use a clean, clear inline vac filter (pool filter), with the bag not in it, to watch the water extraction.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom