Who buys an Electric Truckmount?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
P.S. ETMs make sense in high rise cleaning, also.

Can't agree on that Larry. Most of my jobs are high rise and many will have 6 to 12 steps at least to get to the main floor/elevator. For high rise use a powerful porty is about the only thing that cuts the mustard.

Name
I'm Rick James
I think the people who buy them are the people who realize you don't need a huge TM to do 95% of your jobs. That 95% of my jobs is 150ft and under, which a modern vac setup will provide enough lift to pull water out of the carpets. Its lightweight and able to take up a smaller footprint vs a 1,000lb TM.

What about heat and power? A good 10,000 watt generator with a HX running off the engine and the vac motors will give you what you need to clean carpets with.. especially if you use a rotary. There are a couple of these type of hybrid machines around.. so its not based in fantasy.

After all the research I have done on this topic I believe the biggest issue of the ETM/H-ETM is the perception people have with it and its technology. If you are sending a kid around with this set up that does 200 ft and under jobs.. which is what 98% of our jobs anyways then why not? I think some of these modern TM are just as complicated as a modern car with all its bells and whistles.. the etm offers simplicity. True a cobb TM can offer the same, but so does the ETM.. and its cheaper, lighter, less downtime and has a smaller footprint. Not to mention the marketing aspects.

Technology that I think is going under the radar is the high flow Steamin Demon set up. Throw that technology on a rotary with heat and its a game changer.. The lift will out do most TM on the market today, we need to make our technology smarter.. so we don't need an over engineered, overpriced and over weight machines. Thats my take..

hogjowl

Idiot™
Well, when you really look at this topic with an open mind, what any reasonable person will conclude is that there is nothing in existence that can not be sold to SOMEONE. Take pad machines for example. There is not much in the way of carpet cleaning equipment any more goofy than the pad machine approach to cleaning, but PadPrick has spent over a decade telling us they are the cats meow. Proving that if you say it often enough, folks will eventually believe it.

We'll be hearing much more about electroweenies from now on.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Its a flat out money issue, let's not pretend. If these ridiculous things cost $25k nobody would ever buy one.

Put me in the skeptic camp until i see them consistently banging out 5-7000 hours on them. Over 5 years not 30....
Most of the buyers are part-timers.

I'm sure someday they will take over gas trucks but i will be long retired by then...

Reactions: hogjowl

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I don't think anybody here argues "against" ETMs.
If they do a good job, prove to be dependable and we do not lose productivity and cleaning ability, we'll be happy to use them.

If you run a generator off the engine to get that extra needed power and heat, you're not that much different than a PTO. So the price better be a lot cheaper and the hassle of running them better be minimal.

As far as over complicated/over engineered TM, this may be a good place to start a good new thread.

How frequently do your TM breaks down and need repair (you or the shop)???!!!

I have seen no real statistics to show that a Cobb or a Judson TMs (or any other of the perceived "simple" TMs) spend less time in the shop than say a CDS or a Butler or a ProChem. I'd love it if any statistics about it will be collected here, that will be a valuable service and info.

I owned three CDS and I can personally attest that in over 24 years, beside the 400 hour service they rarely ever see the shop.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I can see getting one to run in plant and then using it in the evening for commercial work but never as a residential machine. However they have to be soooo much better than the hacks that leave a portable in the van and claim its a truckmount. They aren't fooling anyone but themselves....well maybe Porkchop too! :p

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I gave some thought to a ETM, but decided against dealing with the power cords and blowing circuits. It isn't the money for me, it is the simplicity. I like the idea of not having a gas engine. I don't remember the last time that I used more than 150ft of hose on a job. If I could get acceptable results up to 150ft without a booster and using 2 plugs, I would buy an ETM.

My Boxxer 421 has been almost problem free for the last 5000hrs. I have had little problems with things: leaks - water and oil, switches, sensors, APO not pumping, ect. For the most part there have been minor annoyances, I don't recall ever missing a job do to a breakdown. I would be nice to avoid having to deal with the minor issues since the ETM is like a portable machine, a lot simpler than a TM.

I don't need high flow or high heat because I use my BrushPro on every job - with the dry compound as a VLM method and for scrubbing the trashed areas. By the time I start to extract, the soil is already suspended in the prespray(the carpet already looks clean) and only needs a rinse.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
maybe it was answered (i only skimmed...to much blah blah)

the reason they cant do a tank underneath is simple....

to much of the proprietary shit to shove in there.....not to mention being able to grab the heat from all those different sources exhaust etc....where they gonna put the exchangers for taking it off the exhaust???

which is why a judson, tcs work well.....they are BASIC....and have a stand alone heat source....

the separate heater is smaller then a waste tank as well...

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Who buys an electric TM?

Not me Babe.......no....no.....not me Babe.......I'm not the one you're looking for...............Babe

Able 1

Name
Keith
I was pretty impressed with Brevic's machine at MF(?). Thing had pretty good vacuum(I think he had 100' of hose)! I think it would work alright for an O/O that will spend a little extra time with the dry strokes, but I really wouldn't want to send an employee with it.. I couldn't deal with the cords either.

Think about it, some of these guys buy big truck mounts just to run a 1.5" wand... :lol:

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville
We got the mytee etm last nov-dec, so far it has worked really well. It has just been used mostly in the shop,for about 75 hours more or less, we have it wired into 220 so no problems with breakers! There were a few issues when we first got it, they were handled quickly. It's not a machine for every job but it is a nice tool to have. I think we will use it out on job sites 3 or 4 times a year total (unless something goes horribly wrong!)The longest hose run so far has been 50 ft. Can't tell the difference etm or tm at that distance.

Tony

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Will you video the results? And get some good pics of the ETM if you could.

Charlie;

Here's a couple of pictures of the Escape ETM we just received:
View attachment 1956
New General Emperor Premium Pump -1000 PSI

View attachment 1957
Quad Vac Motors with 16.6" hg lift 260 CFM

New Aluminum Louvered Covers all the way round to reduce weight (195#) and enhance cooling.

Vac exhaust now directed out the rear of machine.

Sump Pump Pump-Out (90 GPM) with 1.5" Quick Coupler & Hose.

Electronic float control of entire machine.

Saturday it goes head-to-head with 16HP #33 blower TM.

Larry

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I have seen no real statistics to show that a Cobb or a Judson TMs (or any other of the perceived "simple" TMs) spend less time in the shop than say a CDS or a Butler or a ProChem. I'd love it if any statistics about it will be collected here, that will be a valuable service and info.

I can give you an example:

A while back a customer brought his ProChem TM in for a new blower.

We installed the same #4 Sutorbilt blower that we used in our "open access" Dynachem TM.

The blower locked completely up in less than 3 hours of use .

After calling Sutorbilt, the factory engineers told us we couldn't use our blower in a ProChem TM because it would run too hot.

Because of the tight compartment with panels around the engine & blower,

the PC blower runs hotter, and requires larger internal clearances from the manufacturer.

Cooler components definitely last longer.

Larry

Last edited:

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
We ran the ETM for about 4-5 months in the truck. The performance was good. The reason's for me getting it were as follows. Takes up little space in van, Cleaned just as well as a gas powdered machine (up to 150 feet) little to no maintenance and a very reasonable price. Here's why I took it out. Whinnie tech's who complained about running cords and I just took on some condo complexes where I needed a bigger machine. I now have it in my rug shop and it works well there. It's a very well thought out machine that works well if your willing to run cords or put in a generator.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's what happened to us when we owned one many many moons ago. I agree it may sound whiny and they left that truck for me to run due to the hassle of the running cords and everyday when I did I wished I had gas or at least a generator so I wouldn't have to run cords.

If I were to get one it would be for commercial cleaning and as a backup for inplant work when we overflowed with stuff here.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I went by tony nevilles shop to mooch some scotchguard last week and checked out the mytee etm. I was really suprised by the amount of suction. Granted he only hooked up a 20 foot piece of hose but imo just from what I saw that thing pulled as hard or harder than my 33 blower white magic. I think my main concern would be durability and taking punishment. When I first started I rocked porties only for a few years and they would get trashed fast from day in and day out use. From what I saw based on the mytee etm I was pretty impressed. I would assume etm's will continue to evolve and sooner or later the bugs will get worked out and become more common and accepted

F

FB7777

You don't have to look any further than Snow or Chavez to know what equipment works for successful operations

I think " running a generator" or using propane for heat defeats the simplicity and cost savings associated with ETMs

Te best use the best... If you're exploring options on how to save a few bucks on your money makers you're not looking in the right place for business profitability

Reactions: Russ T. and Chris A
Name
Curtis Pennington
I will say the new Mytee portables with the new vac design are unbelievably better(suction wow) than the Ninja warriors we use. I ordered 5 new mytees to replace the ninjas for hi rise cleanings. As far TM comparison I have to see it to believe at Electric TM can out perform a gas unit.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I'm starting to think that Larry C and Ofer and Fred B and Richard are just software programs on the Mikeyboard that are set to go of at the mere mention of a portable or an ETM. The say the same things and repeat the same dreary experiences they had decades ago, as if that has any relevance to today's machines.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Don forget me Art..........
when little Billy steps on a wet electrical cord in a puddle of water
Mrs Phift won't be none so happy!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Don forget me Art..........
when little Billy steps on a wet electrical cord in a puddle of water
Mrs Phift won't be none so happy!

Speaking of little Billy, I'm hoping Will Reed will chime in as he has an ETM with a Honda generator and six vacuum motors. Will was told the CFM is about 650 with 15-15.5 HG. With the extra motor that is only used for Dual Wanding it should be over 700 CFM. Plastic play thing indeed:

velocitymachine.jpg

Chris A

Name
Chris
I thought he did chime in here a few months ago, saying the owner of the company facked him over, no?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
I thought he did chime in here a few months ago, saying the owner of the company facked him over, no?

It is pretty unfortunate what he went through to get that machine, but he's got it and is using it now and kicking booty with it. This concept looks promising. And to be able to use electricity at the jobsite without even turning on the generator would save thousands of dollars a year. In my case, if I was able to work without ever turning on my Pro1200, I would save $8000/yr, based on 1000 hrs/yr. Right now I save $4000/yr by running my Air Hog Plus for about 500 of those hours. I also cut my van repair costs by 2/3 and, my favorite part, I try to always use the electric machine in the summer, and the van stays blessedly cool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom