Who can screw up a carpet more?

Mikey P

Administrator
A ignorant lazy tech with a truckmount and wand/RE

Or a ignorant lazy tech with a 175/OP?

List how many ways that both can cause damage and youll see one list will be much longer than tne other.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Idiot tech with a tm and wand.

7CE843AB-5B26-4050-9A7E-82293042AB61.jpeg 91D0F9D1-D0E4-449D-9AEB-30790EF036D3.jpeg AF8D1BD0-6657-418C-BC6B-D08DBD4A44AE.jpeg

Reactions: Mikey P

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
I think either method can produce equally damaging results, just in different ways.

HWE- carpet left to wet. Mold, mildew, bacteria.
VLM- tip bloom and other friction related damage.

Which one would be easier to fix when a complaint comes in? What percentage of screw ups are so bad replacement comes up?

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Mikey P

Administrator
HWE- carpet left to wet. Mold, mildew, bacteria
Hot water extraction can cause just as much texture damage through worn or misaligned jets rotary extractors with their Jets too close or into the pile, aggressive brush heads etc

Not to mention Marty's favorite cornrowing that happens from CRBing but that can be either method

FredC

Village Idiot
Reactions: SamIam and BIG WOOD

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Or a ignorant lazy tech with a 175/OP?

I've heard and seen it all it seems in over a half a century being around ignorant, lazy techs (and owners).

I would agree that due to ovewetting you can get more complaints with HWE, but actual damage to the carpet goes to the scrubbers.

1. A new brush that hasn't been broken in and damages the carpet/rug.

2. Idiot that uses the drive block itself to try to scrub the carpet, and rips it to shreds.

3. Tech that doesn't lubricate the pad or brush enough and damages the carpet

The above things leave permanent damage.

I have seen permanent damage from jet streaks to be very clear, but not as much as the above three.

Nearly all wetting related issues are eventually correctable.

The way that I would agree with you Mike would be that is is easier to teach a new technician to successfully VLM a carpet than to HWE it, and during the learning curve, you are less likely to get complaints about the work.

My father's carpet in his house, and our rental properties, are maintained by VLM. We use HWE between move out and move ins.

We have the VLM work done by our handymen. I do the HWE.

Mikey P

Administrator
I've heard and seen it all it seems in over a half a century being around ignorant, lazy techs (and owners).

I would agree that due to ovewetting you can get more complaints with HWE, but actual damage to the carpet goes to the scrubbers.

1. A new brush that hasn't been broken in and damages the carpet/rug.

2. Idiot that uses the drive block itself to try to scrub the carpet, and rips it to shreds.

3. Tech that doesn't lubricate the pad or brush enough and damages the carpet

The above things leave permanent damage.

I have seen permanent damage from jet streaks to be very clear, but not as much as the above three.

Nearly all wetting related issues are eventually correctable.

The way that I would agree with you Mike would be that is is easier to teach a new technician to successfully VLM a carpet than to HWE it, and during the learning curve, you are less likely to get complaints about the work.

My father's carpet in his house, and our rental properties, are maintained by VLM. We use HWE between move out and move ins.

We have the VLM work done by our handymen. I do the HWE.
I like your examples Jim.

Lots of recent incidents prompted this discussion, not the least of which are the Mills firm and unwavering stance on NO 175/OP.

Reactions: SamIam

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I like your examples Jim.

Lots of recent incidents prompted this discussion, not the least of which are the Mills firm and unwavering stance on NO 175/OP.

When I served my preview to hell as a carpet inspector, I came to understand that most cleaning related complaints that the mills receive are those done by in house maintenance staff, or outside large janitorial concerns.

The three things I listed above are extremely common when people who are barely able to put one foot in front of another are entrusted with carpet care in a commecial/institutional setting.

Last edited:

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
When I served my preview to hell as a carpet inspector, I came to understand that most cleaning related complaints that the mills receive are those done by in house maintenance staff, or outside large janitorial concerns.

The three things I listed above are extremely common when people who are barely able to put one foot in front of another are entrusted with carpet care in a commecial/institutional setting.
Can I get that statement in writing, from you acting in the capacity of a professional and credentialed carpet inspector, to show to the property managers I deal with when they try to tell me how the in house staff or fly by night Jani company handles that? Lol

After the morons destroy a $65,000 floor is too late to make the sale.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Im a 2%r and have mastered all methods.

Sounds like you're scared to do the same.
Honestly maybe if your training employees, a low moisture method may save you a few headaches.

But, if a guy can't clean with a wand RE how is he ever gonna clean with a brush and pad???

And guys like me which are mostly on here, do we as O/O really need another method except in rare cases when a truck mount won't reach.

And how many master Low Moisture Cleaning?

Vacuum vacuum vacuum pre spray agitate, extract, vacuum vacuum vacuum

Oops expert spotting Fels and Sally's.

The 2% main go to.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Honestly maybe if your training employees, a low moisture method may save you a few headaches.

But, if a guy can't clean with a wand RE how is he ever gonna clean with a brush and pad???

And guys like me which are mostly on here, do we as O/O really need another method except in rare cases when a truck mount won't reach.

And how many master Low Moisture Cleaning?

Vacuum vacuum vacuum pre spray agitate, extract, vacuum vacuum vacuum

Oops expert spotting Fels and Sally's.

The 2% main go to.
I am converting most of my commercial cleaning to vlm. Much more efficient, looks good, smells good. Makes me more money per hour. Less spotting, no wicking.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Can I get that statement in writing, from you acting in the capacity of a professional and credentialed carpet inspector, to show to the property managers I deal with when they try to tell me how the in house staff or fly by night Jani company handles that? Lol

After the morons destroy a $65,000 floor is too late to make the sale.

I'm just making sure that you meant that in jest

If not, you can DM me about my consulting services.

Trust me, I'm not soliciting, just trying not to be discourteous if you really wanted something like that.

AlienAgent

Name
Joe Gingerich
I'm just making sure that you meant that in jest

If not, you can DM me about my consulting services.

Trust me, I'm not soliciting, just trying not to be discourteous if you really wanted something like that.
I was just joking, I doubt if any amount of reasoning could get through to these people.

We have a local bowling alley that just replaced all 10k+ ft2 of its glow under black light carpet. The reason? They had staff cleaning it with a Rug Doctor and Purple Power degreaser.

• Eyeroll
Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I was just joking, I doubt if any amount of reasoning could get through to these people.

We have a local bowling alley that just replaced all 10k+ ft2 of its glow under black light carpet. The reason? They had staff cleaning it with a Rug Doctor and Purple Power degreaser.

I wish I could say I was surprised...

• Haha
Reactions: AlienAgent

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom