Who here do you think should write a weekly column

Bob Foster

Sorry to steal your blog content Mike but as I have suggested in the past I think it would be a real good idea.

Here are my picks and they could rotate to once a month

Harper
Harper
Harper
Jim Pemberton
Mike
Scott W
Ken Snow
no not you Yoakum
Steve Toburen (piss off Terje)

any other suggestions. Did I mention Harper?

Bob Foster

How about Mike just tell someone a month in advance to give him 1500 words or he'll make live miserable for them for a few days...

FYI for those who forgot, I named this editorial column about 4 years ago it's called THE SOAP BOX

And we can only get Pailliotet Pontification once every 8 weeks or so. Paula has to do at least once a year.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Mikey P said:
Good idea.

Id like to add Greg Cole and Steve Cameron the list

Cole would be a good one. It would be facinating to learn how to attain a 23% customer retention rate.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
BOB........................has LOST his fReeKin mInD........ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Good List Burtz!

Bob can you bless us with your insights?
( No, not really back to you. To continue your baby game)

Just wondered if it was somehow the real reason for his post.

Also,Just wondering?

With Harper, Would it be 750 words and 750 emoticons shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin ?

Or If it included Paul Douglas. 15 hundred words would have to be increased by atleast ten fold to just get through to the intro.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
jimi said:
That's a good list, I would add The Great Oz too.
Bryan's posts are always very helpful and very informative.

Rich, you know damn well you should be on that list....Let me go check it again...you might be on it.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Why not just delegate the responsibility to the moderators to write an article or find someone to write on the topic covered in their room?

Hey Chavez, I want to hear the story of how your dad started that company. I hear great things form everyone who knows him.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I haven't the skills or the ability to hang with that group, but thanks anyway Brian.

Mike it's a long story but here it is.

My father was the first born of 14-children, he grew up in a box car in Williams Town just outside of Lawrence. He attended school only up to the 9th grade and at that time quit to help support the family.

He worked 25-years in the Drycleaning & Laundry business eventually moving up to production manager.

He stumbled into carpet cleaning business by accident. He had bought a new home in a new development in the early 60's.

Lots of dirt tracked in on the new carpet, my mother would complain it needed cleaned. The drycleaners where worked rented out a Hild pile lifter and sold dry compound to their customers.

He would clean the carpet periodically and it did a decent job, well it smelled clean for several days anyway. Eventually it got to a point the dry powder would no longer do the trick.

My father went to a janitorial supply and rented a scrubber and shampooed the carpet. It looked brighter and cleaned much better than the dry compound.

It wasn't long that he had perfected his craft and others at work were asking him to clean theirs. He eventually bought a used Hild scrubber and was in business part time. Pretty soon he had so many customers he couldn't get it all done after hours and thought he could make a real business out of it. He quit with that drycleaners and worked part time on a spotting board for a friend while he built his clientele up. Within a couple of years he quit and went full time on his own.

He was always about improving the service he was delivering and kept seeking better equipment and solutions. In the early 70's he heard about Ed York and Ed's hot water extractor the "Vapor Vac" he bought one and before you know it he was in the steam cleaning business.

He would still pre scrub with the 175 and then his assistant would extract with a 65 lb drag wand using a whopping 40-psi. :shock: He bought more "Vapor Vac's and soon we had three of them the company continued to grow.

He bought a Steam Genie TM from Steam Services in Fresno in the mid 70's and carpet cleaning took off.

By the 80's we were seeing more customers with water losses, my father attended an Innovators Seminar that featured Cliff Zlotnik, Murray Creamer, Lloyd Weaver and others. He bought some of Cliff's chems and equipment and Lloyds airmovers and dehumidifiers .

By the late 80's we had changed focus and had pretty much become a restoration company that also cleans carpet.

He was all about delivering the best service we could, always wanted the best equipment, trucks, and well trained technicians.

He cared about the employees that worked for him and treated them as extended family.

He was a family man, very unassuming & kind, he lived a good life.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Great story Rich!!!

Shows what a great attitude your father had and his desire to help others led to success that is still continuing today.

Greatness can come from a very humble beginning. Very inspirational.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Dave Yoakum said:
Great story Rich!!!

Shows what a great attitude your father had and his desire to help others led to success that is still continuing today.

Greatness can come from a very humble beginning. Very inspirational.

BTW: You got skills!!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Lisa Wagner sure knows rugs and marketing, not sure how much she can help with marketing without giving out secrets but we could always ask for a rug column once a month. Heck she nearly does that now.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Doc Holliday said:
He was a family man, very unassuming & kind, he lived a good life.

Sorry for your loss Richard. I did not realize he passed on last year. I just found the obit:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cjonli ... =147347278

That is a truly an American success story. He grew up dirt poor in a box car eldest of 14 brothers and sisters and was able to start what would become one of the most respected private restoration companies in the country.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That is a truly an American success story. He grew up dirt poor in a box car eldest of 14 brothers and sisters and was able to start what would become one of the most respected private restoration companies in the country
Well that's probably an overstatement, but since it's about my father it much appreciated. Thanks!

P.S.
We are a big fish in a small pond, you only have to travel an hour or more to KC or Wichita and there are heavy hitters there that make us look small time.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I'm not to impressed by most of the heavy hitters that were not around 5 years ago and likely will be gone 5 years form now.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Im always humbled by the old timers that literally started from nothing and built businesses. I can't imagine being able to do that.

Name
I'm Rick James
I think a lot of people should contribute to it. From all phases of the business, you can even get some good insight from a rookie.

Bob Foster

These are all great suggestions for people who could contribute. Perhaps Mike could line up a list and once a week we get a guest editorial on the Soap Box. I'm sure most of the names suggested would be more than happy to contribute. All Mike would have to do is give them about two months notice and send them a couple of reminders

The purpose of the Soap Box would be to editorialize and not to plug a product or service or be a how too about cleaning processes but rather a venue that offers points of wisdom or perspectives on state of the industry. Hopefully in a thought-provoking and even controversial.

It would then become a special thread in the Soap Box room.

LEt me give you some examples

Scott Warrington - future of VOCs
Judson Jones - where he came from and how he came to what he is today and his words of wisdom to cleaners, manufacturers and inventors.
Jim Pemberton - his vision of how education will be delivered
Lisa Wagner - Marketing , marketing to women, how to start a rug studio, marketing metrics
Arron Glosecose - His story going from the big names to starting Masterblend
Rich Gelinas - Commercial carpet cleaning as a business proposition
Bob Vawter - the difference between God and Kush
Lee Stockwell - Working with family
Adam Hale - selling to carpet cleaners, how to play nice and fair with your distributor or manufacturer
Ken Snow - How to Herd Cats
Bill Bruders - How come he views the future so bright that he has attracted multimillions in investment
Tony Wheelwright - Selecting, marketing boutique specialty services also new age education delivery for cleaners
Al Bradham - Opportunity beyond Carpet Cleaning AND Restoration
Steve Toburen - Your not bugging your customers just reminding them
Bill Yeadon 0 The numbers
Bryan OHaleck - What customers love and what customers hate
Cliff Zonic - Restoration disinfection, health and the law
Keith Studebaker - Pie in the sky to the apple of your eye. Behind the scenes in product development.
Harper - "Not That Way Dumbass :shock: "

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Instead of making this an assigned task.

Wouldn't it be better to have an open invitation to welcome longer posts from those that want to contribute?

(Making a wish list, like this post is turning into, is just magical thinking)

I'm sure we could all learn something from any of the members here.

There are many ways to approach this business.

Different goals and different markets.

Even if it isn't your model. We can still find the golden nuggets with-in.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Bob Foster said:

Sorry Bob,

I didn't know that this is now the Bobby Board.

I thought we were voicing opinions to form some sense of consensus on your idea.

UMMMMM..........

FROM ALL MEMBERS!!!

Welcome to the mythical kingdom of Bob.

Must of been a reason I previous thought you were using magical thinking.

Bob Foster

Because it wouldn't be a regular thread its an editorial.

Anybody can start a thread. Why they even let you start threads, but I haven't yet figured out why. Maybe for the entertainment value...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom