Who is our biggest enemy?

K

kmatt

Im still pretty new to this industry but I have noticed that more people put off having their carpets professionally done because they have a "steam vac or a Bissell" than any other reason. Im guessing that many of us have the same situation in their area (if we hear from these potential customers at all) I started to look around on the web for things I can use to get people to leave the steamvac in the closet a little more often and start calling a professional. There is very little around to combat who I think is our greatest competitor.....Wal-Mart, Target, Cosco ect...
I thought it might be nice to have a thread of just facts that we can use tell/sell the difference between low grade soaps and machinery vs. what we offer the customer. I can always come up with a few but it would be nice to have a real long list that we can all draw from to improve our advertising.
Thanks

Name
I'm Rick James
The biggest enemy is yourself.

I own a bissel upright cleaner and its no where near what a TM can do. I run across that alot, you always know who uses the bissel at home from how their carpet soils. I tell them its good to use for spot clean up or maybe in between cleanings. I always tell them not to use the bissel soap and suggest to them to use a white vinegar extraction mix. I tell them if they do use it to vacuum really well and the best way to use it. I cant say I loose business from it, but I think it helps with their level of trust with me.

The home cleaners will never replace us, all you can do is be there when they need you and offer good sound advice.

harryhides

Name
Tony
I've driven through Watertown, many times enroute to warmer weather.
With a population of 20k or so and a long winter, you need to be offering several services.

Bissel is not your enemy - in any ways, it is your friend. Same goes for Rug Doctor.
For one thing those customers are not going to spend a lot of money and when they realize that they have damaged their carpet, they will call in a Pro. So be the Pro.

My advice would be to get educated and specialize - spend the winter reading in our Gold mine.

Pet damage - stains and odor control
Carpet repair
Color repair
Specialty furniture
Stains of all kinds.
Rugs

Become the "go to guy" in town and watch the referrals grow.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I encourage my customers to purchase and use a small steam cleaning machine for their own spot cleaning needs. There is no better way to remove spots and spills and the detergents they apply. But they aren't practical to use to clean a whole house. That's where we come in.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I sell some of my customers chemicals to use in their bissells for in between cleanings... Some are going to do it anyways. So might as well selll them what they really need.

randy

Name
Randy
Most folks use a Rug doc or Bissell once to try to clean there whole home and then call a pro. I think you are on the right track adding carpet cleaning to your window washing business, just don't stop there. Take an upholstery cleaning course (I strongly recommend Pemberton's 3 day class), maybe think about DRYER VENT cleaning, and become an expert in pet odor remediation (a big money maker).

Mail your database of window washing customers a letter offering your carpet cleaning service WITH A COUPON.

Thanks for being our customer, here is a gift certificate for $25 off any carpet or upholstery cleaning you want done within the next 30 days.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Remember what they're buying.

Carpet cleaning is just a part of it.

They're also buying the convenience of not having to hassle with it themselves. They're buying the peace of mind that it's getting done right. They're buying the security of knowing if there's a problem you'll take responsibility for fixing it, not them. They're buying, with confidence, what you say is going to happen will indeed happen just the way you say it will. They're buying the comfort that goes with knowing they have a trusted reliable resource they can call on and count on at any time. They're benefitting from your knowledge and experience everytime they ask you questions like, "what carpet do you recommend." You can't overstate the value of trusting someone enough to give them the run of your home even though your jewelry box is out on the vanity, the kids Ipods and video games are, well, wherever, and you're pretty sure your husband forgot to put his grandfather's Rolex away for safekeeping when he took it off late last night. And, the list goes on and on.

Some people value that, some don't. Give them what they expect and the ones who do often become life-long clients. Some even have a Bissel or a Steamvac in the closet. For many of the folks who don't, if and when they're ready, they'll call. It won't matter what you do or say to counter the "enemey."

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I like it when they buy the home carpet cleaner. they see much work it is. I love it when I see they bought a spot bot, it puts a nice clean circle in the middle of a room every time.

woodsey

I look at it this way, If they have a bissel or rug dr they are concerned about keeping their carpet clean. I get customers asking me all the time if their machine is any good. So here is the POSITIVE MOMENT OF TRUTH, I tell the customer they are great for very small jobs and spots then ask them if they know how to use it properly. 9 time out of 10 they do not. I then give them the time to explain how to use it without overwetting or leaving residue.I become the GO TO GUY for all their carpet cleaning. Woodsey

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
I've gotten a few do it yourself'ers who start with a rug dr and then call me once it makes a giant muddy mess.. i get there and tell them that for the price they paid to rent, travel, buy chems for it, and do it. its about the same price to call me..

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
woodsey said:
I look at it this way, If they have a bissel or rug dr they are concerned about keeping their carpet clean. I get customers asking me all the time if their machine is any good. So here is the POSITIVE MOMENT OF TRUTH, I tell the customer they are great for very small jobs and spots then ask them if they know how to use it properly. 9 time out of 10 they do not. I then give them the time to explain how to use it without overwetting or leaving residue.I become the GO TO GUY for all their carpet cleaning. Woodsey

Well said. IF you have targeted the right customer base they may dabble with doing it themselves and even take care of a few spots that you really have no interest in doing anyway. But I find it hard to believe that the average surgeon/ attorney/ white collar executive or well-to-do business owner will be interested long term in spending a frustrating afternoon doing a mediocre job on some soaked carpets.

If so, instead of feeling threatened by these "play machines" embrace them and your customers at the same time. This way you turn a negative into a positive and become the GO TO GUY. I like it.

Steve "Island Boy" Toburen
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS Even as we come out of the worst recession most have ever known the vast majority of your customers still recognize the basic truth of this saying, "Time is the only resource you can't buy more of." Well, actually they can ... by employing your services. As long as this hold true no toy machine will take serious dollars out of your pocket.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom