who offers a powdered acid or neutral rinse?

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Procyon also etches Marble and other soft stone. A customer learned that the hard way. He made $250.00 cleaning the carpet and now he is paying $1500.00 to fix the Marble. There is no caution mentioned on the labeling. It states that Procyon is 9.4 ph.

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Maybe someone can explain. Procyon has a PH of 9.4 but listed on the MSDS is Phosphoric acid and Silicic acid. How can an acid based cleaner be Alkaline?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Maybe someone can explain. Procyon has a PH of 9.4 but listed on the MSDS is Phosphoric acid and Silicic acid. How can an acid based cleaner be Alkaline?

Sodium TripolyPhosphate has a variety of synonyms and chemical names. The makers of Procyon are attempting to obscure the actual component which makes up the product by using a little known synonym, or in this case one that is meaningless to most of their customers.

STPP is It is the sodium salt of the polyphosphate penta-anion, which is the conjugate base of triphosphoric acid, and is alkaline when dissolved in water. The use of the word "phosphoric acid", refers to the really obscure part of this chemical nature or characteristic. It is a rather high degree of chemical nomenclature being used by the makers of Procyon, but since it effectively masks the "formula" :winky: from 99% of those who would read it, it serves its purpose in this case to be effective gobblygook.

The actual terminology that Plus Manufacturing uses on their carpet care products MSDS version I have is: "Sodium salt-Phosphoric acid". They don't list a CAS number, which might be viewed as being altogether too vague to be proper. Se la vie.

Look under the Chemical name section of the linked STPP MSDS sheet here.

"Silicic acid" is a synonym that may be used to describe/obscure Sodium Metasilicate as a component (tile care product). The word "acid" in the description of a alkaline salt when dissolved in water here, is similar to the usage in STPP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Art Kelley

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Shawn always enhances my knowledge of chemistry and reminds me how much more studying I need to do....about everything

Reactions: Shawn Forsythe
Name
Shawn Forsythe
I can't help but feel humbled by remarks like that of Marty. But not for the reasons that might be obvious.

I once heard the term "social idiot" defined, and thought that much of the definition fit a significant part of my self image. I know for a fact that I find it difficult to gauge an audience and frame all my references and explanations accordingly. I also later re-read some of what I write, and feel that I've always left something out that would have "filled in the blanks", the holes or unsaid details that might have made everything make sense. You can see how I went back and edited that last long post. What is not so obvious, is that I edited it more than a few times, adding some, fixing some.

I still look at it and see that I could have gone on to explain much more. Then again, maybe it just would have made it so detailed as to be completely unreadable.

Thanks for listening. I do appreciate it.

It means quite a bit to me that some understand me, irrespective of the content and shortcomings.

Last edited:
Reactions: vibra-vacster

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Shawn, I want to thank you for the clarification. Procyon cautions state that the product does damage to varnished surfaces, leather and vinyl. I wonder why the don't caution you about corroding brass or etching marble or other soft stones.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Shawn,

Soapfree also has this STPP, which is bad for brass?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I once heard the term "social idiot" defined, and thought that much of the definition fit a significant part of my self image. I know for a fact that I find it difficult to gauge an audience and frame all my references and explanations accordingly. I also later re-read some of what I write, and feel that I've always left something out that would have "filled in the blanks", the holes or unsaid details that might have made everything make sense. You can see how I went back and edited that last long post. What is not so obvious, is that I edited it more than a few times, adding some, fixing some.

Everyone over thinks things, it's not always a bad thing.

Why wouldn't people want to know if somethings bad for our machines, I appreciate your answers. I actually googled your stpp yesterday and learned they also put this crap in our food! Wtf?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Shawn,

Soapfree also has this STPP, which is bad for brass?

Jerry,

Most every decent powdered emulsifier contains STPP to a large degree. In fact look at STPP in CC detergents like flour is to bread.
Any corrosive effects on reactive metals can be taken care of with additional components in the formulation to inhibit corrosion. SoapFree is a formulation that contains a corrosion inhibitor.

STPP has undergone some pretty serious price increases in the past few years, really taking a jump a couple years ago. Some companies have resorted to lesser/cheaper alkaline builders, like Sodium Carbonate. Sodium Carbonate is more difficult to mix soluble in cold water, which can make for issues with mixing and filter/jet clogging.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcooper

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom