Supportive Member
Name
Joey
So far I have done a really big deal that starts soon. So we will see

Sent from my g2 using tapatalk. Whofat

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
They told me you have to have reviews before the will do the really big deals. Hmmm

Unless it's not the email blast....just the listing.

Angie's List has been good to me. But you have to do quality work and get A rated reviews.

If you are an "A" listed company you can pay a little to get to the top.

I did that in Sacramento and it really brings in great clients.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
I've been there for about 9 months and it's pretty good. You won't set the world on fire, but you will get good customers that will give reviews. Most of the customers are older or have been burned/overly cautious, so they kinda have to be won over. The thing I like about it that price is rarely an issue, they just want good work for a fair price.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
Brian R said:
They told me you have to have reviews before the will do the really big deals. Hmmm

Unless it's not the email blast....just the listing.

Angie's List has been good to me. But you have to do quality work and get A rated reviews.

If you are an "A" listed company you can pay a little to get to the top.

I did that in Sacramento and it really brings in great clients.
I think things are changing there. Have u seen all the commercials on tv and home pages of Yahoo?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I think that Brian is referring to having Angie's list do an e-mail blast for your company requiring an A rating.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Dave Yoakum said:
I think that Brian is referring to having Angie's list do an e-mail blast for your company requiring an A rating.

The "deal of the day" type email blast they told me that you have to have an A rating.

I'm set up for the next carpet cleaning one in Sacramento but I haven't gotten any reviews in Dallas.

When I spoke with the Rep in Dallas he said it was over $300.00 to get the good listing on Angies list (if you have an A rating)

The cost is only $40.00 in Sacramento. :shock:

Maybe the guy makes commission?

Walt

In the beginning it was awesome because there wasn't much competition under the carpet cleaning heading. If you area is new, advertising with them may be a good idea. We don't do it anymore. You have to pay per month and offer a discount. For me that's just too much out of the profit. Funny thing is, we still get many calls with the free listing.

As far a getting an "A" rating - if you can't do that then you have some serious problems and need to figure it out. The worst cleaner in our area (a porty hack with a meth problem) maintained a "B" average for a long time.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Walt, I agree that you would have to really piss off a customer to get a bad review. Most of the Angie's List customers seem to be pretty level headed. Probably because they spend a yearly fee to be a member. A priceshopper ass type customer would never pay for something like this.

Even when we have completely screwed up....and we have lol....As long as we took care of the customer and made it right, we still got "A" ratings for the most part with maybe a "B" in the 1 of the 5 different rating categories.

But that still gives you an A rating overall.

Customer service is what will keep you at the top of any business.

We did a job years ago for free because we screwed up so bad. The customer still gave us an A because we made it right.

Almost all the customers got their jobs done right the first time....but we are human just like the rest of you. So it happens.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Ahh yes, Angies List - The Service Magic alter ego

I have been on Angies List for 1.5 yrs. As said above, you can not base your entire existance on it but Angies List compliments my marketing budget well. It is very competetive here in the Chicago market with 100's of carpet cleaners listed. I do pay for the advertising, but they did negotiate about 50% off the rack rates.

They will give you a free password for a week. Experiment with the site. I handed the password off to 10 women as a focus group to find out how they used Angies List. The marketeers will try to sell you a "keyword" package by telling you everyone is searching by keyword. My testing concluded that the site draws you in to using a drill down search. The keywords are expensive here and IMHO, not worth the $$.

The Angies List customers are great. They have made the decision to use you before they make the call. You still have to beg for the reviews, only about 60% have left them for me even after my groveling. I get A ratings on everything but the price category, they always seem to give me a B for price, and I am OK with that!

Winning the Super Service Award has helped.

2b73534a173f50d288d9.jpg

GCP

Brian R said:
Walt, I agree that you would have to really piss off a customer to get a bad review. Most of the Angie's List customers seem to be pretty level headed. Probably because they spend a yearly fee to be a member. A priceshopper ass type customer would never pay for something like this.

Even when we have completely screwed up....and we have lol....As long as we took care of the customer and made it right, we still got "A" ratings for the most part with maybe a "B" in the 1 of the 5 different rating categories.

But that still gives you an A rating overall.

Customer service is what will keep you at the top of any business.

We did a job years ago for free because we screwed up so bad. The customer still gave us an A because we made it right.

Almost all the customers got their jobs done right the first time....but we are human just like the rest of you. So it happens.

i have had the exact same scenario....

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Angie's List customers are great because they pay for access to unbiased reviews and will often choose a higher priced company over a discounter. When you earn a high rating and get on their first page it can be a source of good clients. Unlike Yelp and CitySearch, there are no anonymous reviews so at least you won't have to deal with reviews posted by competitors and cranks.

I think it would be a rare Angie's Lister that would go past a page of A rated companies, and the site is set up so that it's hard to navigate to other pages. The problem then is, once they have a critical mass of cleaners/members in a certain area, your A rating isn't good enough and you'll have to pay to get back on the front page. The amount will vary by the number of members in your area, and you'll have to pay a fee for every specialty you want to list. They also will require you to give discounts to Angie's List members as part of your placement back on the front page. In our case, once we gave in and paid enough to get back on the front page, a dozen positive ratings suddenly showed up, including some that were months old. It seems like they either pressured some past customers for reviews or were holding some reviews back until we paid up.

Unbiased, it ain't.

PS: Yelp and City Search are not unbiased either. Impossible to remove anonymous crank reviews will disappear once you become an advertiser. Makes me wonder if crank reviews come from actual cranks or from their sales departments.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Here in the San Francisco area, you practically had to be dead to get a B.
I think some dead people actually got an A plus.

It was almost funny, as some of the worst companies here used to have an A ratings. And hundreds of companies had an A rating.

How many companies that you will consider to be A rated are in your area? We must be great here because we had hundreds.

That was a while ago, things may have changed.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Ofer Kolton said:
Here in the San Francisco area, you practically had to be dead to get a B.
I think some dead people actually got an A plus.

It was almost funny, as some of the worth companies here used to have an A ratings. And hundreds of companies had an A rating.

How many companies that you will consider to be A rated are in your area? We must be great here because we had hundreds.

That was a while ago, things may have changed.

Here is a D from my area:

http://my.angieslist.com/Angieslist/MyA ... d#r2157129

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
He must have rebuilt his van's engine on their living room carpet and.....

Wiped his hands on the curtains when he was done.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
When I spoke with the Rep in Dallas he said it was over $300.00 to get the good listing on Angies list (if you have an A rating)

The cost is only $40.00 in Sacramento.

all depends on how many subscribers they have in an area from what I was told, more subscribers = more money

portland and surrounding areas was over $200 per month, across the river in Vancouver it was $90 per month

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom