Who's tried an Electric truckmount?

Name
Bill Soukoreff
meAt said:
Bill Soukoreff said:
I love my Savage TM. I choose it for different reasons than most as I do power it all with a 18 hp Vanguard.

????????????

help me out with that one, Bill

why an 18HP GAS motor for a 'lectromount?

is that 18HP driving a generator?

an 18HP motor will drive a pump and positive displacement blower.

what am I missing?

..L.T.A.

Yes, it's a generator.

I know it's hard for some to understand but the reasons are many. I will try to explain. My only option in Canada wasteland was a cleanco or prochem. Having worked on PC Everest I knew PC was way to complicated and I did not want a CDS. Waiting for special order parts and dealing with inept TM mechanics really sucks and would have killed me as a start-up. I did not want a machine with proprietary parts. I did not want a used gasoline TM. Looked into Judson, but too complicated to get one up here and would not have been cost effective. Lot's of heat was really important for our cold winters and cleaning cold damp basements. I watched to many of my friend go out of business with used TMs, or complicated TMs. One company was forced to go total VLM when they could not afford to keep their 2 steamway machines running. They were spending $600 per month and way to much down time. TM breakdowns really suck when you cleaning in sub zero weather. Winter brings out all problems.

I picked up a good deal on a used Savage and then decided I wanted to have the flexibility of using gas or plugging in at the job. I bought a kick ass Voltmaster generator (BTW the best IMHO and got a sweet deal on it) so it runs at just a little over half load. The Vangaurd doesn't even notice the 40 amp load so I think I will get long life out of it. I have seen these Voltmasters in the oil fields running continuously for 4000 to 6000 hours. The since the 18 HP genset runs so sweet on such a light load and only sips .75 gph, I just always use it. My favorite electric configuration is 2 big vac motors at the truck. I could use a low amp 500-600 psi pump like Bob now sells as an option and run it all on two chords, but for now I want to change over to a more reliable General 1500 psi pump and keep using the generator. If gas every sky rockets again, I always have the option to run on two chords or if wasn't so lazy when doing all day job.

Personally, for my one man show with very limited start-up capital I prefer my simple, easy to fix configuration over a crappy, lousy heat, sub quality, bargain machine with a 33 or 36 blower and bad plumbing. If I bought a gas powered TM, I would go for a bigger blower and motor. My Savage puts out way more heat than a PC Everest (and no over heating issues that plaques the PC) which is the only other TM I have worked with. At 150 ft and under, I can clean with the same speed as with the Everest. Actually truth be told, a little faster with the edge on heat. I run a Greenhorn 14" wand with a holed glide and get equal dry times to the Everest, both using 2" hose. Hard to believe I know, but it's the truth. Also, I don't do commercial so I really have no need for long hose runs.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Lyman,

Terry's truckmount uses all 220V motors. So it uses the separate legs of a breaker box to send 220V to the machine, on 2 -110V leads, which is OK as long as there are no outlets in the house where the polarity at hookup is reversed - neutral on the hot lead, and the hot on the neutral. I also believe the "on separate legs" indicator light is in the van on the machine panel, so I'm not sure how one would plug inside and know if they were correct outside, without going out to the van to check the indicator light.

I'm sure Terry can answer that for you though.

Bill Soukoreff said:
I love my Savage TM. I choose it for different reasons than most as I do power it all with a 18 hp Vanguard. I do not depend on a distributor. I like that I can stock all replacement parts for a few bucks and repair anything on the fly in minutes with simple hand tools. Taking modules off the truck to work on them is a nice feature. One guy can do a complete install on his own with no help needed. I am very independent and like that feature.

The heart of the Savage is the heater. Insane heat, super reliable, and a real miser on propane. Once you use a fully automatic flow fired heater you are spoiled and it would be hard go back to a little giant. I was worried at first about the steel coil, but now it is my first choice. I have never had a problem and don't ever have to run water through it. I like knowing the steel coil will outlast every other part of my van and is way more tolerant to cold temps. Plus, you get a very nice belly tank and quality 2-stage regulator for a safe and professional install. Did I mention the insane heat?

It is been debated a lot, but I am firm believer that with electric vac motors, small waste tanks work way better. There is virtually no rise time with Bob's design. I did some testing with larger tanks some time ago, and Bob's design rocks. The APO is as reliable as you can get. Bob has never heard of a motor going bad on one yet. I agree with what he said, just a new impeller every few years for $38. I currently use very little filtration and so every couple of months I need clean hair off the impeller, but I will start using a modified pool filter soon to avoid or extend the time between that task.

Electronics, 4 years and no problems. Plus, everything would be easy to get local. Basic stuff to create a 24 volt closed loop.

Rickie, Bob's statement on the vac motors is conservative. They are made by ametek the same company who make the ones in your Recoil, just way more powerful. I have one that is 4 years old and still working. It has way over 1000 hours on it. But with electric vacs, you never know what your going to get. The good thing is they are cheap to stock an extra one on hand.

As far as electric pumps, I think pump-tec needs to come up with a better design for extended reliability between rebuilds. They are great for low amp situations, but since I don't have that need right now, I going over to a general pump. I really want to find a pump that can go 1000 hours before rebuilds. Then I will have it made.

We see a big difference in vac(more) with our portys as they get closer to filling up. The smaller waste tank wth apo would make a huge difference in vac IMHO...makes since to me. I demoed Bobs unit at WF in Pensacola bout 6-7 years ago and was very surprised at the vac and this was his older model. I would love to see the diffence in the 2.

DRScrivner

Bill S.

You have a nice web site.

You are an SOA Approved Service Provider- does that mean that your Savage TM is SOA approved?

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Re: Bill S.

DRScrivner said:
You have a nice web site.

You are an SOA Approved Service Provider- does that mean that your Savage TM is SOA approved?

I paid my $25! :wink: You just need to pledge that your TM meets min. standards and specify what SOA products you use daily.

I needed it for the carpet store I do work for. It has been good for me. Calgary is a real bait switch town, and anything that can help distinguish me from them helps.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Curtis,

Good to hear from you. That was a good winterfest in Pensacola that you all put on. It was great meeting you all that year. It sure was a cold one, as I remember.

Our newest design on the Savage Electric Truckmount (The BEAST & E-BEAST), utilizes newer design principles in that the footprint of the truckmount is much smaller than the original, but there is no compromise in power available for cleaning - still volcanic heat, and great recovery, with an all new APO that has proven to be the most reliable APO (30 GPM) I have ever seen in my 24 years in this industry.

We have managed to get the system down to 1 -15 amp cord regardless of the cleaning distance. It will still outclean many large gasoline truckmounts, but at 1 cord, it is just simple to use, not power hungry, but delivers results that make your customer smile. That is just what I have observed using this truckmount for many years now.

It requires very little maintenance, and is very reliable, with an "at cost" replacement parts list for customers when they need a part for it.

I hope you are doing well.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Bob Savage said:
Lyman,

Terry's truckmount uses all 220V motors. So it uses the separate legs of a breaker box to send 220V to the machine, on 2 -110V leads, which is OK as long as there are no outlets in the house where the polarity at hookup is reversed - neutral on the hot lead, and the hot on the neutral. I also believe the "on separate legs" indicator light is in the van on the machine panel, so I'm not sure how one would plug inside and know if they were correct outside, without going out to the van to check the indicator light.

I'm sure Terry can answer that for you though.

well?

SuperFly

rjfdube said:
Gas burners maintenance and breaks almost $4700 since last April when I got Recoil; Recoil $0; bearing failure was warranty covered.

You must have got a lemon of a TM.. Or didn't keep up with the maintenance..
:roll:
3.5yrs here and not a dime for replacement parts..
Just the usual oil/filter/descale..
:lol:
My porty set me back $450 in 6yrs.. Not bad either..

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Terry,

Will you continue to make this truckmount a 220V unit, as the one you have for sale on E-Bay is?

I only ask because you can run into trouble the way you bring 220V out to your van. I know, Derek and I had asked you that in a thread in the MB "Clean Room" a few days ago — "Is your electric truckmount 220V", but you must not have read it. I have to think that you are using 220V, as your 8.8 amp draw on 1 leg in your post in this thread picture would indicate that, considering you are running 3 motors total.

220V motors draw half the amps at the same HP as 110V motors, so 220V would allow you to run more amps. That’s a good thing.

I designed and built an electric truckmount 18 years ago that used 220V. It had a 220V dryer plug, and 4 -110V conversion box outlets, that took 4 -110V, all 15 amp “dedicated” circuits, out to the van to run the equipment. Two things I didn’t like about that setup were — the fact we were using 220V and not 110V, and we had to move our customer’s dryer to get to the 220V outlet. So I scrapped that setup, and started designing around 110V.

Side note: It’s too bad we don’t have the standard Europe has on their electrical grid. Their grids are ALL 220V.

That 220V setup we used years ago took a balanced 4X110V, or a 30 amp 220V setup “source” to the van – all 4 110V 15 amp circuits were the exact same total amps available on each of the 4 cords going to the van. I don’t know how your truckmount is wired, but from reading your posts and seeing your running amp meter, the setup that you are using is an “unbalanced” electrical source - 2 separate 15 amp -110V electrical circuits that may not have the same amperage available going to your van, to run your machine.

The available amps on those separate 15 amp legs, depending on what is already running on each one of them inside the house, will NOT BE THE SAME. That means that out of those 2 -15 amp 110V separate legs you are running to the van as 220V, they probably will NOT have the same amps “available” to use.

There is no way to test the current amp load on a given electrical circuit at an inside electrical receptacle. You can only test the running amps of an appliance plugged into an electrical outlet.

So, if you have unequal amps available, you have the distinct possibility of running out of amps on only one side of your machine motors running (because 220V alternates between 2 -110V legs), because the 220V load coming out is not sourced directly from a 220V outlet, or from the breaker box itself.

This will stress the motors and cause premature failure.

I don’t know if you knew this, or no, but it is definitely something to consider.

When Terry came to Greenville, and we finally built the prototype the system had already been in beta testing for two years. The conversion system that we used was developed in1982 to power our truckmount that consisted of an electric motor and a gasoline engine all on one unit. Terry and I do not want to give away the absolute secret to the unit. What is indicated on that 110 power cord is actual 8.8 amps. What really happened here is that we just combined Terry’s ideas with ours.

judsonshow005.jpg

judsonshow006.jpg

tnt-ge.jpg

100_2944.jpg

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
[
My thoughts are, "if" Bill is burning the fuel to run an 18HP genset, the luster of a lectromount is lost on me...
(Given the space, weight and fuel used to run an 18HP genset)

what am I missing???

..L.T.A.[/quote]

Its called a "BI-TM" there meat. It can go either way.

Hey who runs a bi-tm?

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I don’t expect you to divulge any secrets as to how you are doing this.

I don’t think carpet cleaners are going to be willing to make several trips between the house and van to see if the indicator light on your machine panel is on yet.

Do you have separate additional breakers between those outlets you are using, and the machine? The problem I see is one of the circuits you choose could already be using 12 amps, so that would only leave 3 amps left, while the other leg could have the full 15 amps available. Can you read this scenario to prevent it from happening?

But, the bottom line is this. I don’t think carpet cleaners are going to want 3 -220V motors running inside their van while they are cleaning.

I wouldn’t.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Bob, I love man, but don't most lectromount users run a generator like you do?

and there's no way in he11 anyone will convince me a lectromount can get "true" TM performance on one 15amp cord as you suggest your latest version runs on.

..L.T.A.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Larry,

I have the generator still in my van, but do NOT use it anymore. I just use a single 15 amp circuit.

If it weren't true about the TM performance on a single circuit, I wouldn't say so.

Trust me, it works great.

Hey, you're not that far away from me.

Come visit again, anytime brother, and you can see for yourself.

Greenie

So...that is the only hangup, making sure the custy isn't loaded up on used amperage on one cord?
I don't see that as a big deal, most porty guys have to contend with that anyways.
And 220v motors in the van? why would you care, how would you even know the difference? They are being powered by 110v plugs, I don't understand why it would even come up?
please splain Bob?

Bob

PLEASE bring this bad boy to Myteefest !! I'm looking for another TM and want to try this out. I'm so pumped that you new design is beating out most TM's!!!!!

Name
Bill Soukoreff
vincent said:
[
My thoughts are, "if" Bill is burning the fuel to run an 18HP genset, the luster of a lectromount is lost on me...
(Given the space, weight and fuel used to run an 18HP genset)

what am I missing???

..L.T.A.

Its called a "BI-TM" there meat. It can go either way.

Hey who runs a bi-tm?[/quote]

I prefer to call it a hybrid. You can transfer as much energy to the customers grid as is convenient for you. All, a portion or nothing.

Name
John LaBarbera
I'm all for innovation, and when it comes to good ideas I think Bob Savage and Terry "The Viking" Brevik are amount the best. I would like to see both at Myteefest.

One question though, not asking any trade secrets Ed V., but if you're bringing 2-115 volt cords into the van for power, and you're powering off of the legs, than you must be combining the voltage at your unit. What happens if the legs are wired in reverse at the outlet, which is not uncommon in commercial and residential buildings? I hate to sound dumb but sometimes I can't help it.

John

Greenie

That right there is the missing piece of the puzzle, I think I might have a clue, but it'll cost $50,000.

Name
John LaBarbera
ODIN said:
I'm pretty much done with this thread

did you folks know if you want mytee products in the North West I can help you

25K is a bargain

I thought $25,000.00 was a fair price also. I would have to have cash though. What about my dumb question?

Your North West comment aroused my curiosity. What does that mean?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom