Why are you in this business?

F

FB7777

The " whatever happened to " got me wondering about some of you guys

What got you in this business and what was the vision from day 1 ?

Was it to become the best carpet cleaner in the world and do it every single day until your body , mind , tragedy, or all of the above gave out?

Mine was financial independence ( by my own defined terms) and either transition to a family member or eventually sell it

I realize some of you think being a better rug sucker than an employee of a multi truck organization is satisfaction enough and the only edge you need to beat out the other guys to landing all the work you can handle

I imagine that most of us did it for the independence and freedom it would ultimately provide if worked properly.

Clearly there are as many ways to achieve the dream as there are definitions of success.

What was your original goal, how are you doing with it and what's changed?

Buck1955

Name
John
I was a sales rep for a fortune 5 drug company. Car, 401K, paid vacation, etc. but my boss got meaner and younger with every reorganization. Last boss was a bitch from Chicago and I couldn't sleep for hating my job, so I started this. My plans were to get it going, hire a couple people to run it and get back into sales. 22 years later...guess I'm stuck.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I got into it because I was burned out on my job as a repo man. I knew doing repo was a dead end and I just got sick of all the arguing with people, beating on doors, and getting screamed at. I worked as a nursing home janitor in highschool and when I was 18 as a chimp to a family owned multitruck apartment hack operation. I took my repo money and bought a porty and a 175 and took every iicrc class I could. Started my business at 24 quite my full time job to clean full time at 27 or 28 , Im 32 now so still a bit green by board standards but I am just now feeling like I got a handle on things and feel like the community is starting to respect me. I just want some job security and flexibility, not trying to get rich. I have 2 25 hour a week helpers currently .We focus carpet cleaning first, then vct and t&G and some janitorial. we mainly do commercial and property management. I hope one day to run 2 trucks year round, maybe 3 during peak and have my wife work with me doing some admin stuff. I love the low stress money of cleaning carpet and tile but would love to pursue a bit more water as we currently just service our cleaning customers. Oh and a want a big ass box truck so I can drive around be awesome....... that is all

Reactions: GCCLee

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Helped another local cleaner spray Purple Power and Greased Lightning on Carpet.
Then try to use a broken relief valved no heat water spewing trailer mount cuz his LP unit shit all over the inside of his rig and went to scrap, mouse sized blower that takes carpet 14 hours to dry w air movers on every job as an up charge on the water damage.

He tried to screw my wife the Bastard!

Theres Alot more too : )
All Odds were against me when i made the Cash Investment to so this.

Kept an Keeps me busy, plus i like a challenge.

Chris Lee

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Dad and his brothers started Millers Carpet care In 1974, I got into the business full time in 1981. Would've rather been a rockstar! But its been good to me and my family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

steamwizards

Name
Rob
I used to be a debt collector, got sick of the abuse and all the other shit working for someone else. A general conversation started between a mate and myself about the future. researched carpet cleaning businesses and market growth, started my company for my future, families future, and to make money. Now I love my job.

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
Extra money. 20 years later, still extra money. Just using it to build passive income through investments. I can barely stand it anymore!

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
For a while, I was considering many different independent business opportunities.
One main criteria was that it to be mobile and completely independent.
I considered pressure washing, auto-glass replacement, home inspections and others besides carpet cleaning.
I used to jump in part-time with a friend of mine who had a cleaning service in PA.
He cleaned carpets, pressure washed, painted, windows, gutters, anything you needed done that you were willing to pay someone to do, he would do. Good ole' friendly country boy who was born hustler who knew how to keep himself busy and make money.
I saw no reason to believe that if he could be successful at it, I could not.

I was undecided until I came across several surprisingly very active, industry specific forums, where......carpet cleaners....of all people..........:eekk:.....would actually discuss and debate things!!

I hate to say it.......but...cleaning carpets actually became somewhat........."cooler":icon_cool: than it was before..

The image of what a carpet cleaner was to me, was now quite different.

My only exposure to anyone in the trade was my buddy in PA who hacked out college housing with a shop vac, a wand hooked up directly to the sink, and a pump sprayer filled with simple green.

That was all I knew it was to be.

But then I discovered the entire spectrum of the equipment involved.
Big blowers.
Big engines.
Big pumps.
Rotary extractors.
Cool stuff.....powerful stuff.....MANLY stuff.

Basic chemistry......air flow....physics....tools.....equipment.....technique.......all discussed and debated by guys who took this business very seriously.
It was my discovery that the intricacies and detail involved in developing a successful business like this was more complex than I thought.

My inner Devils Advocate used to think that "there's not much to it", and that anyone jackoff could do it, so why bother, but it was my discovery that there was so much more involved than I originally thought, that made it worthy of my time and effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeeeAus and Mikey P

Chris A

Name
Chris
My reasons have changed over the years. First it was to make a living. Then it was to do as much possible work as I could as an owner operator. Now looking toward the future and with a baby on the way its to provide a great life for them, my wife and any future children while spending as much time with them as I possibly can. With some work and any luck, in a few years I'll be working toward a new goal for what I want outta the business.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I'd been dabbling in the carpet & upholstery cleaning just to keep my contract cleaning (janitorial), customers happy.

One night, I said, stuff this, I'm gonna get rid of my contract cleaning.

NOT gonna have any more staff.

NOT going to advertise.

ONLY going to do carpet & upholstery cleaning.

ONLY going to work four days a week.

Great plan.

Got rid of the janitorial side.

You beaut, carpets & upholstery only.

Ha, ha.

Within six weeks I was back to six days a week.

Took on WDR & Oriental Rugs.

Got rid of both of those a few years later, then started up again due to complaints from previous clients, loss adjusters and stores.

We only do small WDR now and no smoke, bio, etc;

Recently we sold the last of our rug tower & soak tank, so no more rugs.

I want to slow down a bit more, but still have a passion for what do & reckon if I stop I'll fall off my perch in six months.

Stop movin', start dyin' :eekk:

Anyhow, we make a nice comfortable living, the work is not hard, and we have the freedom to do what we want when we want, most times.

Del goes home at least once a year, I used to go to the 'states every couple of years but the shows have been too slack to make them interesting & Mikefest is the wrong time for me.

Busy season + cyclones, so I need to stay home between November to April.

Neither of us have any grand allusions about making a heap of money, nor having the biggest house in the street.

Just want to be happy, healthy and comfortable.

I believe that we have attained that.

:yoda:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I wanted to get rich by providing a great service with great customer service.

Most of the goals have stayed the same just now reAlize now that the rich part is probably not coming true.

I will say I have a lot of time to spend with family and friends, this alone makes me very happy and is satisfying.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
too dumb to know any better
too stOOpit to do anything else

Independence and not having to be concerned about corporate bean counter cuts, economy slow downs, lay-offs, etc.
I knew if I wasn't "making it" , it was none of the above's fault ...all I'd have to do is look in the mirror to find the "fault" and fix problem

after 23 years, I'm still trying to fix it......:redface:

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I think you should offer a service like this.

https://shesapistol.com/cgi/cart.pl?m=classes

actually, I'm pretty sure I'm moving in that direction .
the overwhelming majority of my CCW class attendees have expressed interest in more advanced classes .
I'm building a nice data base too.

I'm giving some serious thought to expanding the range to safely accommodate more shooters on the line as well as building a pavilion

I have no plans to make it a "full time" venture though.
More of a sideline /part time enjoyable "hobby" biz

..L.T.A.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Running Classes is Good Money!

If ya like barkin orders an being ass holeish, pretty much got to as the Fudd level increases with the amount of knowledge gained

Larry,
I know your on FB, checkout UnakaNBRSA

A World Wide Recognized Benchrest Match a few of us Youngsters put on here locally.

Twice a year the Most Accurate Shooters in the SE Region come together in our little valley to compete for Hall Of Fame Points, a chance at the Worlds Team, Fellowship, Test n Tunes, Parts and Donuts w Coffee : )

Did the Books on over 8k of these : )
abe4ybat.jpg

To bad we are headin to Anti Gun Cali. Imagine that Kinda MikeysFest : )

Reactions: jwfoulk12

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
since we've sufficiently hi-jacked/derailed Fred's thread .....
(Chavez started it) :icon_razz:
and there's been no posts for a day....

Did the Books on over 8k of these : )
abe4ybat.jpg

To bad we are headin to Anti Gun Cali. Imagine that Kinda MikeysFest : )

I've had plenty opportunity to buy Tok's over the years ...(that is a Tokarev, right??)
they're just too damn fugly for a vain guy like me to own....:)

back on biz related...
My biz has taken a major transformation since '01 when I diversified into painting and light general contracting
It actually forced me off the truck..as i had to "manage" (which i suck at) instead of working on the truck every day

today, over 65% of my revenue comes from sec 8 rehabs (painting, floors, doors, cabinets and more)
It's been a good gig due to high turnover and they''re generally beat to fck ...(lots of work in 'em) :clap:

the firearms instruction i hope to turn into a good part time "retirement" job, as I figure to be working at "something" as long as I'm able to get out of bed in the morning.....
One, because I'm a BD and will likely have to
and two, because I "need" it, or I'll turn into a big fat worthless globual...

..L.T.A.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
since we've sufficiently hi-jacked/derailed Fred's thread .....
(Chavez started it) :icon_razz:
and there's been no posts for a day....

I've had plenty opportunity to buy Tok's over the years ...(that is a Tokarev, right??)
they're just too damn fugly for a vain guy like me to own....:)

back on biz related...
My biz has taken a major transformation since '01 when I diversified into painting and light general contracting
It actually forced me off the truck..as i had to "manage" (which i suck at) instead of working on the truck every day

today, over 65% of my revenue comes from sec 8 rehabs (painting, floors, doors, cabinets and more)
It's been a good gig due to high turnover and they''re generally beat to fck ...(lots of work in 'em) :clap:

the firearms instruction i hope to turn into a good part time "retirement" job, as I figure to be working at "something" as long as I'm able to get out of bed in the morning.....
One, because I'm a BD and will likely have to
and two, because I "need" it, or I'll turn into a big fat worthless globual...

..L.T.A.

Yugo M57
7.62x25mm
Originally Manufactured w/ out a saftey.
ATF required it added after the okay to import. Most need finish detail work on the machining to function properly.
2min w a file and they purr : )

Never got one but shoulda.

Making the ammo is very similar to mixing detergents fir me : )
I love precision!

Reactions: Dolly Llama

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
I was in IT for 17 years and the company I was working for just lost it's way and the GFC caught up with it. I was maybe a month away from losing my job as the company was tipped to crash. It was kind of a balls to the wall moment when I got out of the meeting with the boss.
I had done carpet cleaning of the student accommodation while I was living in it at Uni. My wife was already repairing vacuum cleaners from her little home business. She had a terrific relationship with Kirby and I learnt Kirby had a chemical division which made high end carpet cleaning chems we could buy competitively and which nobody else in my region (and likely my country for that matter) was using. So, we could have something exclusive.

Looked hard at it for a while but then thought nah...,.

Then the boss calls anther meeting concerning our declining financial situation. I resigned, took my severance package and started looking for equipment. Placed an order with Scotlabs.

know nobody likes this part....

I decided a walk behind extractor made the most sense. It didn't need hoses, or reels. It was light weight, it kept the operators back straight. And it fit in the car with change, all I needed to do was decide which one.

I looked at Windsors, Kartchers, MinuteMan, you know, the usual suspects. But when I thought about these machines, they still were a bit on the large side and they were really expensive considering their relatively underpowered internals.

Then I started to think, "nobody really seems to buy these high end walk behinds". What I meant by that is, sure they get bought, but they represent a tiny fraction of the market. So spares and service and size and performance were all a bit in question considering the steep price.

I decided to buy The Rug Doctor, it was smaller, lighter, way cheaper. It sells in great numbers because of its' rental heritage and it was no better but no worse than the bigger walk behinds, I resolved to buy it.

Then...... I was on YouTube trying to see if I could find any videos that might show me how best to harness the function from this thing. I saw in the sidebar a machine that looked more or less the same but was green. I watched the video and it was an add from Bissell for their Big Green Deep Cleaning Machine. The ad was called "This vs That" and it compared The Rug Doctor to the Big Green. The big green held more water, better tank setup which meant I could buy additional tanks as spare parts and not run back and forth from the water source as much. It had the ability to clean in - both - directions, which even the high end units typically didn't and it has a drum brush roller, not the reciprocating brush bar.

http://youtu.be/v0r8srTLAAc

I looked more and found a source of cheap parts from a vacuum cleaner parts page. I then saw Bissell had a commercial products division which sold work horse vacuums and the like to hotels, nursing homes and businesses who would tend to beat their equipment. The Big a Green was a "Bissell Commercial" machine. Awesome!

I bought one from the US using a buying service, it set me back $835 Australian delivered to my door.

Because Australia is a 240v country I paid $73 for an 8Kg step down transformer. I bought a bright orange heavy duty US 120v extension cable and the hose and tools.

It arrived....... I vacuumed our living room really good, used my spotter kit I'd put together to spot treat, remembering my "solvents, alkalis, acids, bleaches" rules (I'd been cramming and revising). I pre-sprayed the room and dwelled it, scrubbed it with the Kirby carpet groomer and rinsed it with my new machine. It came up like - NEW.

Straight onto the computer, made up some promotional gear. Bought some insurance and started beating the pavement stuffing mailboxes. Within a day or so I got my first job, really horrible couch. Quoted $450 to make it look new. Worked it for 6 hours, it looked new. Got a $100 tip and a repeat booking. Next day phone rang again, filthy nylon carpet HARD with sand and crusty dried beer. Promised to make it look new. Wife and I vacuum this shithole for 90 minutes and recover the most dry soil I have yet to see, bag weighed 4Kg.

Spent 4.5 hours on the job, got $450. "That's $100 per hour" my wife says. Big smiles all round.

I got in touch with the university again, they booked for two huge rooms and a corridor. $1,600.

So that's my story, more or less. Sorry didn't mean to carry on so much.

Grant

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Nope
never been there..fo-reel

Chris has never met me, so maybe he thought i was a skool gUrl??

..L.T.A.

You'd look funny in a skirt big guy , I know ya that well :-)

Sent from my RCT6077W2 using Tapatalk

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
I worked in rural economic development for the state of Texas until we had large deficet and the state did away with my department. The Governor felt is was better to help the big cities and not the part of the state that is dying and in the most need! I was negotiating a deal between the owner and a potential buyer when I got word that I would be let go in 6 months. So, I ended up buying the business because the fella looking couldn’t come up with needed $$$. We had just been thru the worst drought on record (still in it and we made national news as being in the most impacted area in the US), so running more cows wasn’t gonna work. Not many employment opportunities out here either and I hadn’t worked in a traditional job \ office since 1997. The thought of working 8-5 gave me nightmares. So, I bought the business, hired the potential buyer as my head tech with the plan of running the business for 5 years and then selling to him. However, he wanted to buy it now, and for many reasons I didn’t sell it. So, his last day was the 23rd and will begin working for a rural utility provider on the 2nd with full benefits I couldn’t offer. It was a good 2 1\2 years.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Hey Amy, after meeting you at MF Sacramento, and knowing your attitude from this board, I am sure you'll do great. Small communities employment and making it, can be quite a challenge indeed. We left the Texas Hill Country a little more than two years ago and the drought was quite difficult and created an economical challenge.

P.S. and rumor has it that you love the out of state travel opportunities. The demands of running a business :winky:

Reactions: amygeorge

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom