Why doesn't the IICRC Welcome Back OLd Members?

Farenheit251

Like many I got certified in multiple areas when I started. Also like many I had I went through some financial hardship,(tried to start over in a new state) and certs wouldn't feed my family. Not that the IICRC was doing much for us then. Lately the IICRC seems to be more active and I'd like to renew,but they make it a pain like they don't want me back. For one thing I need to submit paperwork that they already can pull up on the computer. I didn't frame my certs and put them in the living room. Not to mention wanting past dues for years. Dont have time to sit through more 3 day classes when I aced the first time.

Bottom line: The IICRC needs to find a streamlined way to welcome back the large numbers of past members. I dont even mind paying past dues just don't make it tedious and time consuming. The success of the IICRC relies on membership and to not recapture this large group is foolishness.

They make such a big deal about the certs and the need to make sure I am qualified when the facts are passing 75% on a multiple choice test written at a 7th grade level doesn't make one competent, especially when the instructors read the questions and answers for an hour right before the test.

Farenheit251

Also I'd ad that just the fact that someone wants to renew their membership shows a commitment to the industry and should be about 90% of the qualification.

-JB-

Name
JB
The IICRC needs to find a streamlined

Truer word have not been said here in a while.

In the past they never cashed the test fee check for a test one of my tech's took, yet after four months of waiting for the check to clear, (and yes the tech. has already gotten his cert in the mail from that class) I called, they told me they had no idea what I was talking about. :roll: Yet, MAGICALLY the check cleared about a week later :shock: That must be how it works when you have too much money I guess!

Try this... call and tell them you need you address updated, NOPE, can't do it over the phone, have to send a signed letter requesting the change, gimme a break!
What is this 1970?
Great way to lose people there too huh?

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I'd re-up if they made it easy and showed some new value.

I'm pretty fed up as well. They didn't record some of my education credits and claimed I needed more to continue certification.

With the PITA factor involved, I said forget it. Certification hadn't done a thing for me at that point anyway. And unless some serious changes are made, I don't think it will do a thing in the future either.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Not to quibble or anything, but they can't welcome back members because they never had any. You were never a member of anything, just a certificant, and you never paid dues, just fees that paid to keep the certifications intact.

A program that would allow you to show your proficiency without having to sit through the courses again would make it easier for those that dropped their certifications to renew them. "Testing in" is a concept that has been brought up before but I'm not well enough informed to know the reasons for rejecting the idea.

What have you noticed about the IICRC becoming more active?

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
A local cleaner let his certs expire in 2003, the IICRC let him renew even though it had been 5 years!

They would not let my partner renew after he had been out of the country for 3 years back in 02 I think, (came back from Japan 6 years ago, his DAD died and he's the only Male in the family)... whats up?

Can I now pay and have all his certs renewed? Even though it has now been 9 years, it would be cheaper than all the classes, loss of production, and travel/hotel expenses.
I can send a check TODAY if they will renew his certifications! I can even give them a card # over the phone... Just Exactly what are the Rules? Does anyone really know?

This is B.S.

And I am an IICRC certified tech myself, just last month attended the HST class that qualifies me as MSR, MWR, and I was already MTC...does this mean all my efforts and keeping my CEC's up etc. had no meaning?

I believe in ongoing training, but the rules have to be the same for everyone, and if the rules change as a registrant I should be made aware of the changes. IMHO

Farenheit251

Reason i said more active is at the whole cri/soa requiring certified techs. Thats the first time I've seen any real benefit. Also Jim Pemberton corresponded via PM about this issue and also on ways to improve the integrity of the cert process. With Jim involved I'm expecting good things so long as the beuracrats don't hold him down.

Here is what I was told when I tried to recertify. Send in copies of my certs(the same ones that she was looking at on the computer), along with a letter pleading my case and they would decide whether I could pay several years in back dues to be recertified. Unfortunately I didn't keep expired certs and I'm not real big on pleading.

I mostly just wanted it for my website and advertising.

Maybe I can just advertise my expired certs
IICRC certified in Carpet Cleaning 2001
IICRC certified in Upholstery 2001
IICRC certified in Water Damage Restoration 2002
IICRC certified in Advanced Structural Drying 2003

What do you think? Should save a few bucks.

Scott

BrianE said:
Reason i said more active is at the whole cri/soa requiring certified techs. Thats the first time I've seen any real benefit. Also Jim Pemberton corresponded via PM about this issue and also on ways to improve the integrity of the cert process. With Jim involved I'm expecting good things so long as the beuracrats don't hold him down.

Here is what I was told when I tried to recertify. Send in copies of my certs(the same ones that she was looking at on the computer), along with a letter pleading my case and they would decide whether I could pay several years in back dues to be recertified. Unfortunately I didn't keep expired certs and I'm not real big on pleading.

I mostly just wanted it for my website and advertising.

Maybe I can just advertise my expired certs
IICRC certified in Carpet Cleaning 2001
IICRC certified in Upholstery 2001
IICRC certified in Water Damage Restoration 2002
IICRC certified in Advanced Structural Drying 2003

What do you think? Should save a few bucks.

captaincarpet said:
A local cleaner let his certs expire in 2003, the IICRC let him renew even though it had been 5 years!

They would not let my partner renew after he had been out of the country for 3 years back in 02 I think, (came back from Japan 6 years ago, his DAD died and he's the only Male in the family)... whats up?

Can I now pay and have all his certs renewed? Even though it has now been 9 years, it would be cheaper than all the classes, loss of production, and travel/hotel expenses.
I can send a check TODAY if they will renew his certifications! I can even give them a card # over the phone... Just Exactly what are the Rules? Does anyone really know?

This is B.S.

And I am an IICRC certified tech myself, just last month attended the HST class that qualifies me as MSR, MWR, and I was already MTC...does this mean all my efforts and keeping my CEC's up etc. had no meaning?

I believe in ongoing training, but the rules have to be the same for everyone, and if the rules change as a registrant I should be made aware of the changes. IMHO

For guys and gals wanting to re-up with expired certs, Barry Lichtenstein is the man to talk to. PM or email me and I'll shoot you his email address.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Reason i said more active is at the whole cri/soa requiring certified techs.
CRI/SOA service providers only have to promise to use SOA chemicals and send the CRI $25.
There is no tie-in with any education or certification provider.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
Scott:

I already have him on my facebook, and I'm sure he will not reinstate 8 year old certs,. but please send me the info and I will try... it would be cheaper than my partner re-taking all the classes and tests.
I am just upset that my partner was basically told KMA a few years earlier, while the guy with way less years/ certs was reinstated and my partner just a few years ago was not.
I understand things change, but none the less it was unfair on the case by case basis.
Few understand the dynamics of the Japanese culture, and my partners obligations at the time here in the US, but I just find it amazing that a BS kind of guy gets his certs reinstated, and Toshio lost all his certs. because he did the honorable thing and went home to take care of his family obligations.

I know this is way after the fact, but this BB did not even exist at the time, and I'm just venting. Now with my having all the requirements for MST, MWT, and MTC, we seem to be very unevenly matched, but Toshio has 17 years experience and certs,. from ASCR as well as IICRC that no longer count and it is quite frustrating.

Name
Kevin McCreary
I was a master cleaner when I was like 20 years old. Never renewed, never cared to and I
dont think it really makes any difference. Im in this for the money not to look and act like some
boy scout.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
Do you sell anything in your co.? We do, and after 31 years in this industry, I know for a fact that the first thing EVERY salesman sells is himself.
It is My job to sell myself, and my services to the customer, and certs are just 1 tool I use to accomplish that goal. (you know best job, best eqiup., dry when we leave etc.)

If you do WDR today, most insurance companies require a certain level of certification, and also when purchasing insurance for your company your certs may entitle you to a discount rate.

I could go on and make this a long post but this topic has been covered many times before and it is a personal choice, you do what you feel is best for you and your company and best of luck.

randy

Name
Randy
Kevin McCreary said:
I was a master cleaner when I was like 20 years old. Never renewed, never cared to and I
dont think it really makes any difference. Im in this for the money not to look and act like some
boy scout.

Kevin, I love your bluntness. Since you are one of the most accurate in anyalizing the IICRC, CRI & SOA I'm going to RENEW my IICRC certification so I can nominate you to the IICRC board. I will then immediately allow it to lapse.

OR maybe you could just start a 12 step program for folks obsessed with some entity telling them they are qualified to clean carpet.

Several years IICRC free with NO problems !

acetyl

Hope this is correct forum...

Is the IICRC the only game in town? Are there any other competing educational organizations?

Thanks,
Acetyl

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Briane

You could say something like
in 2001 I earned my certifications in
Carpet cleaning from the IICRC
etc etc
etc etc
and I have been continuing my education in the field and keeping up with the latest technologies to insure I am the best company in the area to choose

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom