Why Good Cleaners do Bad Work

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
3 Key Reasons Good Cleaners Do Bad Work
by Jim Pemberton - Pembertons Learning Center
“Why good cleaners cause bad problems”

When you hear a consumer complain about another cleaner and how badly the job they did turned out, do any of these thoughts cross your mind?

“He must be one of those “bait and switch” crooks who go in cheap and rush through the job!”

“He probably is new and doesn't know what he's doing!”

“I'll bet he is using old, worn out equipment!”

While those things MIGHT be true; in most cases it just isn't! Many cleaning related complaints are caused by veteran cleaners, who use fair pricing and marketing polices, as well as good equipment and products..

That thought might make you feel uncomfortable, because you are likely a veteran cleaner using good equipment, and couldn't imagine that you could cause such a problem.

But You Could!

Here are some of the true reasons "good cleaners do bad work"

1. Fatigue:
Like it or not, we all are subject to getting tired when we work hard, and cleaning is often hard work. Its difficult, to nearly impossible, to have the same energy and strength on your last job of the day as you did on your first.Tired cleaners skip steps, fail to pay attention to detail, and often don't bother walking back to the truck for drying fans, towels, etc.

1478b.jpg

"THIS FURNITURE BLED BECAUSE STEPS WERE SKIPPED DUE TO FATIGUE"

2. Distraction:
Its difficult to “turn off” all of the stresses and worries of the day when you are working, especially if you are an owner operator. With cell phones you are not just receiving calls, but also texts, email and Facebook notifications. The temptation to take every call, and look at every message can be overwhelming. You need to recognize that there isn't any way you can give your customer the service that they deserve if you constantly take calls and/or need to check texts, emails, and social media notices.

3. Attitude:
Whether or not we realize it, the pressures of business and life sometimes cause us to have a bad attitude about what we do, and if we aren't careful, it can show up in our work. Demanding customers, scheduling conflicts, problems with co-workers, employees, and family all can put us in a “bad mood”. You simply are not doing your best work when you are in a negative frame of mind!

How can you avoid these problems and give your customers “your best”?

1. Keep Your Energy Level at its Peak:
Do what the doctors have told us for a lifetime: Eat right, exercise, and get plenty of rest. During busy times, its easy to take on evening jobs even when you have to work early in the morning. You might be able to do that once in a while, but if you make a practice of doing it, its unlikely you are giving your “morning customer” their money's worth. If you are committed to being a “owner operator” who will be active performing cleaning services through your middle age and even senior years, recognize that a good exercise program is essential so that you can stay in shape and keep fatigue at a minimum. Remember: the hard work of cleaning is not a substitute for proper exercise.

2. Keep Distractions at a Minimum:
Cell phones have enabled cleaners to eliminate having the phone answered by office staff, or customers needing to wait until the end of the day for return calls. However, they can rule your life if you aren't careful. You need to decide how you would feel if someone taking care of a service at your home and business was constantly taking calls, sending texts, and checking the phone while they worked for you. Its discourteous, and its simply not possible to do your work properly if you are constantly stopping to answer or check your phone. Discipline yourself to ignore messages until you are at a “stopping place”, or turn off your phone.

3. Check Your Attitude:
One of the best things my father taught me was: “You can't help how you feel, but you can help how you think and how you act.” Life brings on a variety of stresses and things that can ruin your day. You have little control over that. But if you are going to be at a customers' home, business, or facility, you have to leave your problems “at the door”. And you'll also learn that when you control how you think and act, you'll also feel better as a result.

SUMMARY:
You will find that the work you do is more influenced by these three parts of your life than it is by the equipment and products that you use, or the soil level of the carpet you clean! In forty plus years of being a part of this industry, I have watched cleaners succeed, and have watched them fail.

Those that succeeded understood that being the best person they could be on the inside had everything to do on how they experienced success on the outside. If you want to succeed in today's "online digital review" business environment, where the balance of marketing power has swung dramatically in favor of the consumer, you need to be seen as a sincere and caring business person that they can turn to for help in solving their problem in your field of expertise.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
When I hear it the first thing I think of is a cleaner/wanna be chemist. The guy that mixes two or three products with no regard for compatibility. These products are generally from different manufacturers entirely and were never designed to be mixed together.

While the carpet appears clean when the cleaner left. The cleaner truly has no idea what the ultimate result of "Secrete Brew" will be. Will it resoil at a faster rate? Will it dry with a haze that needs flushed out? Will it feel sticky and drag the motor when vacuumed?

Many unsatisfied customers will never call back to let them know. They just call someone else next time they need cleaning.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
So true. Fatigue is definitely my biggest enemy. After 6 or 7 hours of actual cleaning time in a day I can say I'm guilty of letting my quality slip. I am less likely to break out my crevice tool or spend extra time removing a stain just because my body can't take anymore abuse.

In the busy season we all get that customer that just can't wait and wants us to work them in at 6:00 at night after a long day of wand slinging. The older I get the better I am getting at saying no. It's not fair to them to get a poorer job and for me to go home dragging.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I can appreciate Jim's article but IMO the main reason cleaners do poor work is just pure laziness. I was at this point early in my career. I just wanted to do my 8 hours and go home. I'd skip padding furniture etc. without regard to peoples carpet. Luckily I made a decision early on that I would do the job right or I wouldn't do it. It really doesn't take much more time to do the job right than to cut corners. My job would be the same regardless of how much I make on a job and ,I really think, regardless of how tired I may be.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
It sounds absolutely crazy but if you exercise, lift weights you will be significantly less tired while doing your physical job.

lifting weights boosts your testosterone, burns fat that slows you down, makes you sleep better/deeper, and alters your mood into being positive.

I dont know any weight lifters who are negative whiney, or unmotivated. Itll change ur life 100%

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Even though I am getting up there in years, I try to stay in shape, pace myself while cleaning, and stay off my phone unless I am in the van. I also do not overbook the day, and use dual wands on the larger jobs so we are more thorough and still not taking too long, regardless of the soiling issue.

Doing enough dry strokes is tantamount to doing a great job. Even though you can't actually see too wet, excess moisture left can dry and the carpet will appear dull in certain areas. Using proper filtration in your vacuum system, and making sure that your vacuum system is up to snuff will give you proper water recovery. Having a clear window or tube to watch the recovery process will teach you proper wand technique for sufficient water recovery, so you will automatically do proper water recovery.

At the end of your job, discuss the results with your customer, good and not so good, pointing out worn traffic lanes that appear dirty which are worn and abraded.

Being a good communicator is very important in this industry, as there are many bad carpet cleaners and cleaning companies out there.

Last edited:

SteamwayPro

Supportive Member
Name
George
It sounds absolutely crazy but if you exercise, lift weights you will be significantly less tired while doing your physical job.

lifting weights boosts your testosterone, burns fat that slows you down, makes you sleep better/deeper, and alters your mood into being positive.

I dont know any weight lifters who are negative whiney, or unmotivated. Itll change ur life 100%
TOTALLY AGREE !!!

I still go to the gym and I'm old. Work is slow now so I go to the gym as much as possible. It keeps me in shape and I think gives me more energy. I went the the gym LA Fitness 4 days last week and I feel great because of it. It does alter your mood into being positive.

I love going to the gym. I just use the weight machines, but I work out hard when I go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P and Acp

steve_64

Everyone is different.

I've been getting real dark urine the last two summers. I think its muscle fatigue. I need rest. I get grumpy when I'm constantly in pain and yes I cut corners now and then.

I've been thinking of taking a yoga class to help keep myself balanced.

I'm charging enough that I lose about 2 quotes out every ten. I'm trying to slow down while wanding but I'm very production oriented so if I don't focus on slowing down I keep speeding up until I'm exhausted. Then I keep pushing to get through it and that's when the corners get cut and I do damage to my body.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Everyone is different.

I've been getting real dark urine the last two summers. I think its muscle fatigue. I need rest. I get grumpy when I'm constantly in pain and yes I cut corners now and then.

I've been thinking of taking a yoga class to help keep myself balanced.

I'm charging enough that I lose about 2 quotes out every ten. I'm trying to slow down while wanding but I'm very production oriented so if I don't focus on slowing down I keep speeding up until I'm exhausted. Then I keep pushing to get through it and that's when the corners get cut and I do damage to my body.
Probably not hydrating enough. I do a yoga class once a week. Improves balance and focus.

Reactions: Hack Attack

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Sometimes its hydration but it goes back to my heart issues I think. Something I've battled all my life tendonitis and muscle issues.
I find yoga helps. You need to find a good instructor. It helps to create space in your joints and strengthen muscles that you might not use every day. Any kind of extra exercise helps as long as it's done properly.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
I dropped 30lbs doing this in 6 weeks

• quit beer
  • 2 gallons of water per day for 3 days, then 1 gallon per day (resets metabolism) 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar to each water jug
  • eating only from 1pm- 9pm then fasting the next day until 1pm again, but in those 8hrs I eat whatever TF I want.. fries, cheeseburgers doesnt matter
  • Doing strong lifts 5x5 https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • Amazon product 1 tablet per day, far from entry level vitamins.. loaded
  • Amazon product

last one is for branch chain aminos, protein and creatine intake to keep up with workout demands

never felt better in my entire life, never bench pressed more in my entire life, squatting 300+lbs for reps, deadlifting 325+lbs

Name
Chandler
I’ve learned through experience to clean and or correct to an acceptable level. Most of the mistakes I’ve made have been to trying to be perfect and going to far. Great article Jim

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom