Why Willy Doesnt Have a TM

Travis Sonderegger

Supportive Member
Name
Travis Sonderegger
Okay, so if everyone here swears that a TM is so much better, why is Willy still using portys? He has like 4 of them doesnt he? And how many years has he been in the business? I did some searching but didnt find an answer to this so that is why I am asking...

I understand there are times when you can get to places with a porty you cant get to with a TM. Do enlighten me though. I could probably search the forums for TM vs portable and find something, just thought of that. I am going to throw this out there though.

But why sacrifice the heat and suction if you dont have to? Besides price :) ...

Pat Muller

Name
Pat Muller
The only difference would be the time factor.
TM's do alot of work for you that a porty does not.
I would stack up any of the cleaners I know that do not have a TM and only run protables against the biggest TM out there and the quality of the work can even be better but it will take longer.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I've been to Vancouver. In an urban environment of high rises, a truck mount can be a challenge to use. I have a customer in Manhattan that uses portables for the same reason. He could afford truck mounts, and understands their benefits, but where he works they are nearly impossible to use.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I would stack up any of the cleaners I know that do not have a TM and only run protables against the biggest TM out there and the quality of the work can even be better but it will take longer.
That's the real issue, you are handicapped by the setup and tear down (fookin electrical spaghetti) and the bucket brigade as well as limited moisture recovery ability.

I also think the cleaning will take longer and/or more tools to get equal quality. Not to mention (although I will) the fact the you are adding heat and humidity to the living environment.

Its in your benefit to make the transition to TM's as soon as you have the work and can afford to. You'll be more productive and put more in your pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dolly Llama

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
As said: truckmounts are a waste of money and space in an urban high rise environment.
That's why the Kanukk runs with portys.

You are better off with a truckmount if you have easy parking and access to normal dwellings and office spaces. More efficient work can be done with the truckmount.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
Vancouver is one messed up awkward city from what I was there.
Worse then Las angeles, las vegas and other larger cities ive been too...

Yes beautiful but for travelling only lol. I would have a minivan or non extended full size and portable/vlm gear only there

Name
jack zerkie
It,s like SEX if you never had it you don,t hnow what your missing. No truckmount is like never having sex, and Iv,e been married 50 years and use my truckmount most days. jz.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Willy does not have a truck mount because ProChem pissed him off. Take my advise. Don't ask why.
And as of today, he has not yet realized that there are other truck mount manufacturers :winky:

And hey, Vancouver is one of the nicest cities I've ever been to. Never been there in winter though. If most of his clients are in highrises, a truck mount will be a hindrance.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Vancouver isn't just all this
vancouver.jpg

there's a mixture
vancouver housing_sprawl_small.jpg

I would want a TM to do this one if I booked my jobs like I usually do (jammed up)
-vancouver-canada-102310561.jpg

Nice looking city though.

Reactions: Mikey P

roro

Name
Ross Craig
We operate in a city not dissimilar to Willy and do a good mix of commercial and domestic work. I have never bothered to do a breakdown before this thread prompted it. Checking the last -20- jobs one of our techs didd : 4 were Cimex, 7 with truckmount and 9 with portable. Of those portable jobs we could have used a t/m on -3- but it would have been slower.

roro

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Here's some pics to show the easy way to do this in good time without jumble and disorganized mess.

Hot water filler hose. $15 at HD in parts. No bucket brigade there.

012_zps3giedybl.jpg

2 plugs at 15 amps each. I did put the other in the hall.

013_zps20pbtjq8.jpg

35 foot hose. I can do most units from the hall or the kitchen.

016_zpstptltwdj.jpg

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Just do the hall first. I did stop to move the cords and hoses over to clean where they laid.

020_zpsmnzw6t55.jpg

Pick a horse and figure out how to pack it. 5 different spotters, procyon, small horsehair brush, spotting brush, gum getter, door stops, rags , 2 five gallon buckets, one small 2.5 gallon bucket on one side, 35 feet of hose, 75 feet of cords on the other. The hydroforce snuggles nicely in amongst the hoses and cords.. It was empty or there would have been a roll of sticky tabs.

021_zpspbxxxaaa.jpg

Wand on a clamp up front. Easy to move, easy to load and unload.

022_zpsoxf94exd.jpg

Reactions: dgardner

Willy P

Name
Willy P
No why I use a portable. I got burned out in the early 90's. 3 crews, 60 plus jobs a week, stress up the ying yang and I ended up with some health issues. I sold off swhat I could and tried auto detailing. A black hole that drank money. I left that behind and was pretty lucky in the space that was leased for a king's ransom. A developer wanted to build on that block. I got out of the lease and got a nice chunk of change to vacate early. I went back to finish high school- 4.0 grade average and finished in 53 weeks from my previous grade 7. Not bad, but I wanted to continue on. My second son was born at that time and the money was going fast. I thought about it and bought a machine to just work evenings and weekends. Or so I thought. Before long, I was at it full tilt again. I thought about where and how to get an underserviced . The dsowntown was growing up , not out. I did my best job and it grew nicely.I do lots of low ground stuff, but my specialty is high rise. My customers only care that I show up on time, I do a great job, I'm respectful to them and their property and stand behind what I do.

And would you want to haul hoses up 9 flights of stairs to reach up here? 53 minutes, $120 and I rolled to the next one 5 blocks away.

019_zpsg9ab4ub3.jpg

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Nice Willy....

Now get some Viper Restore (acid) and dip a rag in it and then rub/scrub your wand down to shiny!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Don't touch that wand Willy.
Every half-assed home owner will tell you: You can't trust a carpet cleaner who's equipment is all shiny and spotless like new.

Don't listen to the newbs. Pride of ownership and the profession requires a rugged, somewhat scratched (we prefer to call it "weathered") and never.......never, hyper clean equipment.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
San fran hippiehipsters like all kinds of crusty old stuff from the 70s.

They wouldn't mind if you had some vegetation growing from your wand's crust layer. :lol: flowerpower!

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom