will insulating the van cause rust?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Winters coming and I would like to insulate the van before getting the TM installed.

On the van floor: it's rhino lined then I put a layer of Reflectix(foil bubble insulation), with marine plywood over that then carpet on top.

What would you suggest for the walls & roof?

Someone told me insulation on walls will cause condensation behind the insulation. I dont understan how, the insulation wont be air tight against the walls.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Name
R.J. Povio
We have insulated our vans for almost 40 years.....never had rot and or moisture problems from the insulation. We have some vans that are 1996 and the only rot is from the salt on the outside body of the van.

All the layers you are putting on the floor might be a problem....but if you keep the van for 10 years or shorter....I doubt you will have any problems in that time span.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I'd forget about the carpet. It's gonna get wet from time to time. I left a valve open today because my chem meter ball wasn't floating and I was messin' with it and left it open. Went back to cleaning and I had no pressure . I knew right away what I did but it was already over flowing.

Bob Foster

I was speaking to Bethel Senior last night at the Mytee reception and he said that on the Auzzie vans they cut out their flooring so exact to the outside perimeter walls of the van that they only use a little mastic and no through holes drilled through the floor to hold the floor down. That really helps keep the rust down and the moisture issues.

The rule for insulation is you put the vapor barrier on the warm side of the winter. In other words to avoid internal condensate issues that could cause rust. The order would be interior wall finish then vapor barrier (poly with taped on any poly seam) then insulation then the outside van wall.

B

Bill G. Martin

To Richard....tell us the process you go thru to insulate your vans...

Bill in Central Florida

Name
I'm Rick James
Make sure you use blankets to cover the TM during the winter and get a good heater.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom