with your wand on the floor...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
running anywhere from 150 to 200 ft of hose (2 inch and or 2.5 inch) and your machine is running at full power....

how much lift/vacuum do you generate..and what kind of machine are you running........

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
you could prop your wand and go look...

Marty..you have people who work for you .......???

I did not think this was that difficult....

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
At a 200' run of 50' 2.5 + 150 2' my gauge reads up too 17hg when my wand hits the carpet (without a glide)
, depending on the type of carpet of coarse.

Machine:

Mercedes 70hp Diesel
Sutorbilt #5 (Like Roots 56)

M

Mark Imbesi

zero.........no..wait.....(turn key, attach vacuum hose to wand...)

Marty on Marc's computer

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Replumbed Victory 47 with Kunkle set at 15, 50' for 2 1/2" & 50' of 2" to a hybrid glided 14X2 floor wand. Typically run about 2900rpm and depending on the type of carpet it sits around 14" of lift on the gauge.

Jerry

Supportive Member
Freedom47,kunkle that does'nt open, with 50' of 2.5 and 50ft of 2", greenhorn, running abot 3000rpm. I have checked and I am only hitting about 11" or 12" hg.

Greenie

type of carpet, type of glide, and depending if you are on a wet stroke or dry stroke will affect that reading as well.

I know when Michael Schoeny was at the house with his SchoenyTech, we had about 100' of 2.5 out, 25' of 2" and was using my 5 port Vanifold at the truck, and hole glide on wand, showed 13-14"hg when cleaning with 018 flow, under block off the relief valve was set at 17.5"hg....but there was so much rippin' through the wand it only showed 13-14 on the gauge.

That number drops to 10-11hg when dual wanding, and it "feels" like it's sucking harder for sure, actually I'm pretty confident it dried the carpet just as good if not better in dual wand, so there is something to where that "extra" air is coming in from, either the vacuum relief or the second wand, that impacts overall vacuum efficiency.

I made a special Vanifold with a vacuum releif valve mounted on it for him to test this theory, it allows relief on the other side of the tank (duplicating dual wand) when single wanding, haven't heard back yet, but will report when I do.

Name
John LaBarbera
Actually, it takes special equipment to measure water lift "at the wand", which is the real measure of performance. Were going to measure this at the "porty shoot out" at the Mytee Mikeyfest. You'll be able to use the equipment to measure your rig, also. This measurement puts you into the performance curve of your blower so you can see what it is really doing. Cfm is a mathematical equation of the water lift on the curve and the area of your wand opening (glide). I think, Jeff, what you experienced is true. The water lift increased when the second wand added more free air (cfm) into the system.

John

Name
Jesse
My WM 1200 runs 14hg pretty much all the time, my pro2000 is usually around 13hg. Doing a chop stroke will usually will cause the kunkle to cycle.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jim;

Good Idea.

If you can measure lift at the wand you will have a good idea of the actual flow thru the wand head.

If you still use vinyl vac cuffs, you can put a hose barb & vac guage in the cuff where it attaches to the wand.

This technique will also allow you the compare different hose lengths and size combos.

There will some variation with different carpet constructions, as some flow more air than others.

Larry

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
one would think that most should have a general idea about what they are running...
it is important to know to get a good balance between what you are putting down....

In other words..I am not going to run what Ron runs (24 flow I believe ) and only have 12 inch of lift....

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
around 17 with 50' ft of 2" and the rest 2.5".

The relief valve got stuck during the summer while I was solo one day doing a 2nd story townhouse. I set up and start wanding and I could hardly move the wand. Did one room and was beat. Propped up the wand, went down to see what the problem. It was pushing past 20, I about crapped my pants. Turned it down and lubed the valve. I was lucky something didn't cave in.

Name
Ron lippold
Im on a big tile job Ill check what its at with the spinner and report tomorrow. I will be able to check carpet on thursday. And yes Jim 24 on one wand and 18 on the other

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i dunno my vac gauge broke a few mths back....

my relief is closed shut, i get enough leakage somewhere

and i run like a bat outa hell.....adding that extra 50' of 2.5 has made my 200' runs SICK...worker said it felt like it was pulling harder then 100' with 50' of 2.5

oh did i mention the greenhorn with a 15 up from a 12 flow is getting the carpets drier??? It has the hybrid vs the slot glide, and the angle is just a bit different to

Rex Tyus

When you guys are taking your reading remember the part where Jim said
and your machine is running at full power....

Take into account the rpm drop that is typical with NON electronic throttle controlled rigs. I have the old vac pod system. I have to adjust when running an above average section of 2" hose.

I can run about as much 2.5" as I want with the wand on the floor it will read about 12-13hg. With more than 25 feet of 2" it will max at 14" pretty quick. At FULL power.

Farenheit251

Vac reading at the machine is not going to tell you anything. If that worked I would never clean my flow ezy filter and have monster vac. My distributor used to have a 2" rubber ball cut in half with a vac guage on the flat side and the round side went on the hose.

Rex Tyus

BrianE said:
Vac reading at the machine is not going to tell you anything. If that worked I would never clean my flow ezy filter and have monster vac. My distributor used to have a 2" rubber ball cut in half with a vac guage on the flat side and the round side went on the hose.

You make a very good point. We have often discussed this with different variations. If you want a real idea how much THUMP you have available, get a vac gauge and fit it to a cuff and measure at the END of the hose run with the hose DETACHED. This is how much force you actually have.

Greenie

16" is a lot of THUMP factor Ron.

The day we fired up Cu's Reactor on 400' of hose, it read 16"....and you could feel it. That 45 blower got some respect that day...form me at least.

Back
Top Bottom