Wood Floor/Area Rug Pad

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
I was cleaning upholstery today. I pulled back the rug so I could slide the couch out. This is a new house, 1 year old I think. It has nice real wood floors with a finished coating. I noticed the damage the padding is causing. Its hard to see in the pic but it is very noticable when dusting.

Is felt padding the way to go here? Should this padding be trashed?

AEA618BE-4C70-4044-8230-872AF9BCE63E.jpeg

Name
Nate W.
That's off gassing of the pad.. The cheaper box stores have that that problem with the pads.. It's like an oily residue.. If you look at a package from the box stores, you might be able to see the oil in the packaging..

As for felt pad, depends if something is sitting on the rug.....rug size, all felt pad is fine if the rug is heavy enough to keep it in place without creating a sliding/tripping hazard..

In general, you should wait at least 60 days before putting any rug/pads down on refinished floors.. The coating needs time to harden and cure..

Mikey P

Administrator
The same thing will happen, even worse usually, to any coated flooring. Stone flooring can also show the effects of the glue even if it's not coated as you may assign my recent slate video

Reactions: Mike J

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
That's off gassing of the pad.. The cheaper box stores have that that problem with the pads.. It's like an oily residue.. If you look at a package from the box stores, you might be able to see the oil in the packaging..

As for felt pad, depends if something is sitting on the rug.....rug size, all felt pad is fine if the rug is heavy enough to keep it in place without creating a sliding/tripping hazard..

In general, you should wait at least 60 days before putting any rug/pads down on refinished floors.. The coating needs time to harden and cure..
I don't think it's a topical residue. I remember feeling the indentation in the urethane. Screening and reapplying the water based urethane finish with 2coats is the only way to fix it.

Reactions: Mike J

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
The same thing will happen, even worse usually, to any coated flooring. Stone flooring can also show the effects of the glue even if it's not coated as you may assign my recent slate video
I did see that video. thanks.
I don't think it's a topical residue. I remember feeling the indentation in the urethane. Screening and reapplying the water based urethane finish with 2coats is the only way to fix it.
So its not so bad because house it new. Im just trying to figure out the best padding for the future here.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
That style of pad is OK only if it's a WunderGrip. They're made of expanded vinyl that won't damage a floor. The rest are made of rubber, which will break down to either sticky or powdery. Any pad with a rubber coating on the back will have the same issues.

The worst mesh pads are sold on line and in big box stores. They're just string coated with adhesive.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I remember feeling the indentation in the urethane.

I'm not too sure that rubber can "dent" wood.
I think you're feeling rubber humps.

To prove me wrong, you'd have put some elbow grease and cleaner on a couple MF towels to a sq ft or two.
Then show me some "dents"

I'd most certainly do that FIRST before I started sanding and refinishing...or recommending to the homeowner "that's what it will take" t'fix

..L.T.A.

Name
Nate W.
I'm not too sure that rubber can "dent" wood.
I think you're feeling rubber humps.

To prove me wrong, you'd have put some elbow grease and cleaner on a couple MF towels to a sq ft or two.
Then show me some "dents"

I'd most certainly do that FIRST before I started sanding and refinishing...or recommending to the homeowner "that's what it will take" t'fix

..L.T.A.

Try tell him to say this slowly..

We
Todd
It

Love ya Smatty boy!

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom