Wood floor question?

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
Wow I haven't posted on here in a while!
I have a customer that has a newly refinished wood floor. Construction dust was trampled on it only a few days after the floor was refinished. I told the customer that it needed more time for the finish to cure and that dust and sand might not be able to be cleaned out. I'm going there a second time for a demo before we commit to cleaning the whole thing. Ive just recently started cleaning wood and I've been using the basic coatings system. Would a red pad on my 175 be too much since now the finish is only a few weeks old? If I can get it cleaned would it be too soon to apply a finish to the floor?
Also she has newly installed bathroom tile that has water spots that she can't clean. I thought it was a slate tile but the box says it porcelain. She wanted it cleaned and a sealer put on the tile. Can I use a mild acid on this and any suggestions for a sealer? I usually mop on Cobb's solvent sealer. Will that help with making the tile clean up on her end any easier?

IMG_20190104_144844.jpg IMG_20190104_144829.jpg IMG_20190104_144827.jpg

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
If the wood is new and just dusty try a white pad. Red pad shouldn't hurt anything, but I'd be extra careful as it new.

I wouldn't add any sort of finish, it has a new finish, it's new.

You can pretty much use anything on porcelain. I generally have went to carpet cleaning products that can be used on tile. Larry's sealer will work great.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
the finish is only a few weeks old?

I don't know of any wood finish that won't be fully cured in three weeks
(unless it's defective or applied wrong)

I wouldn't smear any of that wood finish CRAP they sell to CC'ers.
The homeowner needs to kick the contractor's azz over this and hold them responsible
Don't make THEIR (the contractor's) problem yours

if dust accumulated or tramped into the finish before it was fully cured, the contractor needs to screen and recoat

don't know squat about tile

..L.T.A.

steve_64

Without all the details like type of finish I'd just use my hard floor wand on it and follow with a micro fiber flat mop.

If it a polyurethane varnish I use nycos acrylic wood floor finish. 4 or 5 coats. 2 weeks would be more than enough for that finish to cure.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I don't know of any wood finish that won't be fully cured in three weeks
(unless it's defective or applied wrong)

I wouldn't smear any of that wood finish CRAP they sell to CC'ers.
The homeowner needs to kick the contractor's azz over this and hold them responsible
Don't make THEIR (the contractor's) problem yours

if dust accumulated or tramped into the finish before it was fully cured, the contractor needs to screen and recoat

don't know squat about tile

..L.T.A.
you never did t&g cleaning?

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
you never did t&g cleaning?
Yes I have. I just didn't look like porcelain to me. The interior designer said it's ceramic and the paper work says porcelain. It has water spots all over it that seem to be absorbed into the tile if that makes sense. I'm not a tile expert but I've done a fair share of it over the years.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Yes I have. I just didn't look like porcelain to me. The interior designer said it's ceramic and the paper work says porcelain. It has water spots all over it that seem to be absorbed into the tile if that makes sense. I'm not a tile expert but I've done a fair share of it over the years.
Sorry, that question was intended for @sOOper hero.

Mikey P

Administrator
Dave you asked about using the virtues of a penetrative sealer on the ceramic tile itself, if I read that correctly.

While there is a slight benefit, it's not something I would put a value on as it's so temporary and most home owners won't notice it.

Last edited:

steve_64

Dave you asked about sling the virtues of a penetrative sealer on the ceramic tile itself, if I read that correctly.

While there is a slight benefit, it's not something I would put a value on as it's so temporary and most home owners won't notice it.
I used cobbs in our shower and I had a mold break out. Had a couple issues like venting and a found a squeegee that was spreading it too but I haven't used any since.

steve_64

Are you saying Cobb's caused the mold?

I doubt that
It could be been ventilation but I had cleaned it twice without issue and after applying the sealer I had a big mold break out.
I've since gone to viper concrete and grout sealer and haven't had that problem except a couple areas that got real bad.
I also leave the shower door open all day to keep it drier.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom