Wool Zone or Fab-Set?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Tom and or Scott,
I clean plenty of wool carpets and some rugs on location. Beside the multiple pre-sprays I carry two concentrate jugs as an acid and an alkaline side rinses.

The acid jug is for wool and upholstery rinses. Trying to avoid carrying the ever so increasing variety of chemicals, for the acid rinse I use Fab-Set.

1. Is Fab-Set good enough for on location rinsing of wool carpets and rugs, as well as upholstery?
  2. If I understand correctly, wool zone has more wetting (penetrating) agents, thus is able to provide better flushing of thicker material like carpets etc., yet not great for upholstery as it will get it wetter.
Or am I missing something?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
No Jimmy. They are good friends. Just the weekend called in early for them.

Some people just have it all.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Tom and or Scott,
I clean plenty of wool carpets and some rugs on location. Beside the multiple pre-sprays I carry two concentrate jugs as an acid and an alkaline side rinses.

The acid jug is for wool and upholstery rinses. Trying to avoid carrying the ever so increasing variety of chemicals, for the acid rinse I use Fab-Set.

1. Is Fab-Set good enough for on location rinsing of wool carpets and rugs, as well as upholstery?
  2. If I understand correctly, wool zone has more wetting (penetrating) agents, thus is able to provide better flushing of thicker material like carpets etc., yet not great for upholstery as it will get it wetter.
Or am I missing something?
Since nobody answering you, ill step up

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Your analysis is correct. Fab-Set is only an acid and great for rinsing. I understand @Jim Pemberton like a rinse with no surfactant or detergent, at least for upholstery.

Wool Zone does have wetting agents that help it penetrate into the dense pile typical of wool rugs.

Reactions: ruff

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Your analysis is correct. Fab-Set is only an acid and great for rinsing. I understand @Jim Pemberton like a rinse with no surfactant or detergent, at least for upholstery.

Wool Zone does have wetting agents that help it penetrate into the dense pile typical of wool rugs.

I've revisited that subject a few times since our discussions some years back Scott. I am in the "less is more" category on upholstery cleaning and the products we use, but some surfactant is necessary in most cases.

Reactions: ruff

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I've revisited that subject a few times since our discussions some years back Scott. I am in the "less is more" category on upholstery cleaning and the products we use, but some surfactant is necessary in most cases.

I can now relax when I retire knowing that you and I are in agreement and you have come to see things my way.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I can now relax when I retire knowing that you and I are in agreement and you have come to see things my way.

Challenging my own convictions is something I strive to do daily. It either strengthens my position, or shows its weakness.

Thanks for your help in that regard Scott.

Tom Forsythe

There is also an additional acidic builder in Wool Zone which helps rinse emulsified soils out of wool carpet. With Fab Set you are neutralizing residues but are are relying on the vacuum of the equipment primarily to remove soils in the water stream.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Wouldn't the upholstery pre-spray contain some surfactant? Making it enough (left on fabric) to allow the acid rinse to be sufficient? Both in Neutralizing and rinsing?

And Tom, I assume that with a thick fabric like carpet the extra builder is necessary.

Last edited:

Tom Forsythe

For a thin surface like fabric, there is enough surfactant in the pre-spray to allow for thorough rinsing. The rinse follows the surfactant much like a soap-free product follows the surfactant. Fab-Set and Soap Free products are not good cleaners by themselves but function well in a system. I have used Flex Ice (1 to 160) with an abundance of surfactants in the formula to clean upholstery without pre-spray with a surprising result. My son-in-law had this bright red microfiber sofa that he wanted to use. I just rinsed with Flex Ice. As I was cleaning he was grinning and my daughter was frowning as replacement was her goal. It cme out great. However, six months later she had a new blue fabric sofa to replace it.

Reactions: J Scott W

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom